cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost of new fiberglass roof on a 32' Winnie

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
A recent wind incident here in So. Cal. resulted in about half our roof being torn off. I do have comprehensive so the cost is minimal but I would like to hear from anyone who had had to replace a fiberglass roof. We were quoted a months delay and $13,000 for a complete replacement.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
16 REPLIES 16

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Further to a Rhino roof...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGzXwc1l3gg

Gary
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Judging from the condition of our Rhino sprayed in bed liner and up over the sides too on our 2004.5 Chevy LB truck bought new and had the liner sprayed in before we drove it, the Rhino liner lasts and looking very good 17 years later. Ours of course is black and has hardly faded much at all. I have the color renew kit that was sent to me from Rhino in about 2012 and never used it yet as the OEM liner still looks quite good. What they sprayed on is really tough and sure is lasting. Nothing slides around on bed liner like other brands which are so well noted for doing.

When a tornado went over us and ripped the breaches off the big pines in February in 2015 when snow birding in our Carriage 29' 5th wheel and the sharp ends of the branches falling on the 5th wheel rubber roof put 6 holes thru the rubber roof. I wanted to have a Rhino sprayed on roof to replace it but the insurance wouldn't pay the cost. Thus, and additional layer of 1/4" marine plywood was put on and a new rubber membrane glued on. Cost was $4460 done here in Michigan and included a new 15' awning material installed that had 3 holes in the old one from the branches that pierced it. Got 2 estimates down in Florida to have it done there and the same was quoted at $7700 and $7400 they both quoted just patching the holes in the OEM plywood roof . Insurance said it was too high. I had patched all the holes in the roof with Dynaflex 230 hours after the tornado so the insulation wouldn't get wetter or saturated. Always carry a tube of it in both of our RV's just in case of need. Very good stuff for caulking and works on wet wood also as it is water soluble before curing in the air.

Sorry now that I didn't pay the additional costs ourselves to have the Rhino roof sprayed on. So far superior!!!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
I have nothing to add to the insurance part of the discussion.

However, should you find yourself involved in the choices of what to do? May I suggest looking at Rhino Bed Liner. There was some talk of people considering using it. If memory serves me, it was pretty highly touted. It is mixed for a specific application, so a certain amount of flex is called for, for an RV roof. Tough stuff, durable, water proof.

Gary Haupt

Do they have colors other than black? I can't imagine a black roof.
Bedliner is a good option but you still need a good roof to spray it on.

Yes...it would require a clean roofing space...new plywood I would guess.

Gary

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

However, should you find yourself involved in the choices of what to do? May I suggest looking at Rhino Bed Liner. There was some talk of people considering using it. If memory serves me, it was pretty highly touted. It is mixed for a specific application, so a certain amount of flex is called for, for an RV roof. Tough stuff, durable, water proof.

Gary Haupt

https://www.google.com/search?q=rhino+liner+colours&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk01ETvNVCflYek32SNh...

Gary

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

Bedliner is a good option but you still need a good roof to spray it on.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dedmiston
garyhaupt wrote:

Gary Haupt

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer

Gary Haupt

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
A near miss tornado took ours off on a Sightseer 35'. It was for sale. I was hoping Progressive would total it but they had it re-roofed for about $12K.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Fiberglass and epoxy must be painted as the epoxy will deteriorate with UV exposure.

I don't think there's epoxy involved, it's just a layer of filon, like the sidewalls.

Check out this Winnebago Roof Replacement project
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Just joining this thread to follow, as we have the Itasca sister unit to yours.

Our roof started blowing off above the driver (me) as we were driving in Kansas in 2019. Pulled over immediate when we heard what sounded like a gunshot (the initial popping out of the track on the side). Fortunately we were able to get it fixed. Else I believe our trip would have been over.

Good luck with yours.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Fiberglass and epoxy must be painted as the epoxy will deteriorate with UV exposure.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another vote for surprised that the insurance company didn't total it.

As long as the insurance company is paying, who cares what it costs. Makes sense as it's probably at least a semi-custom job to make a new roof for a 20yr old out of production model (unlike rubber roofs which are cut to fit)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If your insurance company isnโ€™t balking at the repair/replacement price, why are you? Thatโ€™s what insurance adjusters do...ok repair prices.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ouch. $13k is approaching totaling that unit. Quick value shows $17-20k value.
IMO that gives you options. If the total repair estimate is high enough, I'd be looking into a total and buy back scenario too.
RV is basically 20 years old, so a documented rebuilt title with pics to back up the roof replacement, overall might be a financial win.
If you want to play that game. ( I would consider it, especially if I was planning on keeping it alot longer)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold