cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Choosing a camping experience

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I hope Pnichols doesn't mind me highjacking something thoughtful that was said in another thread - but this is a great point:

pnichols wrote:
One aspect of tent camping that I don't like is finding myself in an otherwise pristine, beautiful, and serene camping area ... only to have RV's (legally and complying with the rules) camping right there with me.

If you're going to tent camp, do it in fantastic spots where the RV'ers can't go. The same for backpack camping. If RV's are camping where tenters or backpackers are camping - assuming I can afford an RV - then I'd much rather be there in an RV.

It got me thinking that this is something to be considered in the purchase of an RV. IMO, the best, most "camping in the wilderness" experiences come from utilizing tent sites. They tend to be big, secluded, and quiet; can be tucked into scenic hillsides and forests. Some can only be accessed by hiking in to the site.

"Rustic", drive-in sites come close to duplicating this. My kayaking club tends to utilize these, which is how I came to own a pop-up truck camper; and I find others bring small teardrop trailers or offroading pop-ups. (In Michigan, many RVs are limited by overhead clearance in these forested, rustic sites) Since there are still few amenities other than a single water spigot and vault toilet, it's cheap and the spaces are still big.

In areas where forests don't limit the height of the vehicle, but terrain limits the accessibility, truck campers excel. Check out their forum to see amazing pictures of places where they have camped, completely off the grid.

State Parks have a nice mix (usually) of feeling "outdoors", but offering at least water and electric hookups, showers and restrooms. Most state parks can accommodate full height RVs, and mid-30' lengths? You're still camping in the dirt (or mud if it rains); but you will have lots of neighbors and some of them are noisy.

As your RV choice requires more amenities, as a rule, the sites that will accommodate it become "smaller"; the camping experience become more of an "outdoor neighborhood". There's nothing wrong with this - full service campgrounds offer more than just being "outdoors" - there's usually a pool and other activities for the kids. Camping sites are generally paved or gravel-covered

Finally, there are the beautiful RV resorts, that offer more of an "upscale condo" experience.

So anyway, my point in all this is that if you are pondering getting an RV, try to picture what your ideal camping experience will look like - and then seek the "vehicle" (even if it's just a tent in the back of a Subaru) that will get you there ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
15 REPLIES 15

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Ha! 38 years a Soldier, the last thing I want to do is sleep on or near the ground with some kind of cloth over my head. Don't matter how pristine the area is you'll never get me in a tent again. For me, roughing it is a motel room with limited cable channels or our 5er.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is an interesting forum thread.

Kindof related to this discussion ... here are some photos of us RV camping in what we consider to be typical of perfect spots for RV drycamping. Tenters could camp in any of these places and you can see some tenters sharing one of the areas with us:

Along the Salmon River in Idaho

Along a high altitude lake in Western Utah

(way) Outside a National Park in Utah because camping inside the park was full

About to do some trophy trout fishing in Northern California

Camping with the grandkids on Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake

Camping on a private ranch in Oregon
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deb and Ed M wrote:
try to picture what your ideal camping experience will look like - and then seek the "vehicle" (even if it's just a tent in the back of a Subaru) that will get you there ๐Ÿ™‚

I like this. It is all about what you want to experience.
Fit the equipment to the lifestyle ๐Ÿ™‚

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
I still like tent camping. People on this board are always complaining about not being able to get reservations in California to camp with their RV's. If you are tent camping there are so many more sites available. Sure, I love our trailer, but we can have just about the same experience with the tent (we are in CA), so we are spoiled during the summer, usually no rain, except in the northern mountain areas. I love our trailer, but I love camping in our Coleman 6 person tent too. We have a nice airbed and are very comfortable in our tent. Room and privacy enough for a porta potti too. We can stuff all of it into our Prius with room to spare and still see out of the back window. The 50 mpg makes us happy too, plus we can get there a lot faster than dragging the trailer. Easier to get into gas stations, too.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
So nice to hear there are others out there who still enjoy and cherish their camp beginnings:).

I'd be perfectly happy to continue tenting but the reality of older age is upon ....the man:B;).

So we'll continue to do a mixup between tenting anding RV in the coming years.

Still, I have to say my current mode of tenting is far different from my start. Used to bicycle camp with all our gear attached to the frames, and a child sitting over the back wheel in the old style childrens' chair and another in a metal framed backpack. No cooler or cooking gear besides a few ZipLoc bags to marinate meat and veggies in bottled Italian dressing and a folding skillet. No idea whyyyy we are all still alive, LOL. At times we left the tent poles at home and just guylined the pup tent to cut down on weight. And w/ the crazed optimism of youth generally no rainfly.

Now we stuff a rented SUV or mini van with sooooooo much gear sometimes the driver can't see out the rear window which irks him mightily.

I think the length of our RV is about 17' so we should still be able to fit in out of the way areas.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Good points Deb. I'll add that your "ideal camping experience" will probably change based on your age.

LOL!! Well, I *still* prefer the full-on Woodsy, Rustic Experience. I tried tent camping/sleeping on the ground a few years ago - and painfully remember the dread feeling in the middle of the night, of needing to go potty and knowing the effort it was going to take to get my creaky old bones off the ground...ROFL! So then I graduated to a cot - but that middle-of-the-night stroll still was cold and dark....

And that's when I became a truck camper owner ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer
We want to be as comfortable as possible, 40' pull through-check, hot tub-check ๐Ÿ™‚
John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going tent camping tomorrow. Heading to Doris CG in Wichita Mountains.

Since I found a comfy cot that I like and a tent that goes up fast and is big enough to hold the cot, my zero gravity lounger and more, tenting isn't as uncomfortable as it used to be. My dislikes used to be getting the fiberglass poles in and out of the old dome tent's pockets, blowing up/deflating the air mattress, and getting in & out of such a low bed.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
The reason 25' is my maximum length for a trailer is that I prefer those quiet spots off of a dirt road. I still backpack, and that bleeds over to my RV camping preferences.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The older I get, the more I want to the "condo" experience! Long gone are the days of sleeping on the ground. My old joints just can't take that any more.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Good points Deb. I'll add that your "ideal camping experience" will probably change based on your age. Tent camping was fun 40 years ago. And we didn't go to RV parks, we did the tent sites in state and national parks. The rudest people I've ever run into were tent campers when you got too close for their liking. I was never able to correctly calculate the distance required. I think it must change from state to state.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
The beauty of our TT is allowing us to use it as a condo, hotel, or cabin. We also backpack and tent camp still so if we want to experience wilderness and solitude it's easy. Even in some of the crowded national park RV campgrounds, some of the best sites are tent only but you could be surrounded by dreaded RV's. Only one way to really get tenting solitude I've found is through backpacking...and even then you can get some odd individuals sharing a campsite.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
I camp in both and do not see the form of shelter to be the issue. My experience tells me the real issue is how we treat one another. Are qw quiet, clean & respectful towards those around us? Yes, most of the time. When not it is usually due to alcohol. It puzzles me why the party types even go camping. Rules need to be enforced for the sake of all

I agree with this 100 per cent.

I've tent camped, never was bothered by RVs unless the people were annoying. And annoying people come in all modes of campers, unfortunately.

If you want a wilderness experience, go to the wilderness. Don't go to a campground and expect a wilderness experience.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I camp in both and do not see the form of shelter to be the issue. My experience tells me the real issue is how we treat one another. Are qw quiet, clean & respectful towards those around us? Yes, most of the time. When not it is usually due to alcohol. It puzzles me why the party types even go camping. Rules need to be enforced for the sake of all
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)