cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boycott “No Campfires”

Yolue
Explorer
Explorer
We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”. It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We carry in our RV a variety of equipment and supplies for a campfire and it’s so disappointing to not be able to use them and enjoy that experience.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”

I will not book anymore places that don’t allow a campfire.
168 REPLIES 168

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Airdaile wrote:
What puzzles me is that people will take part in an activity that clearly includes an aspect that they don't like, and knowing full well that that particular aspect is an integral part of the activity, set out to change things to remove that part which they don't like, ruining it for everyone.

Perhaps you should review the definition of "integral", and maybe select the word "optional" instead.

And perhaps at the same time review the OP's first post. Again, this thread is not about campers/RV'ers banning fires, it's about the owners of RV parks and campgrounds banning fires. And since the owners may be banning fires because of complaints about said fires, maybe it isn't quite the "integral" part of the activity that you think it is. As for me, and many others from what I've seen and heard, not having a fire doesn't "ruin" anything.

I wasn't referring to the OP's post, I was referring to all the "I don't like campfires" posters. And you have made my point. Campfires being "optional" is not how it started out. And it's not "optional" now. It's "I don't like this so I'm gonna whine about it until it gets banned". It's I don't like it so you can't do it. It's all wrong. Complaining to a CG owner until he can't stand the sound of you voice and bans fires is ruining it for everyone. You all knew that campfires were a part of camping when you started. Or didn't HGTV mention that in the show you watched?

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
am1958 wrote:
Maybe we _campers_ should boycott those that "don't like the smell of smoke" or has detrimental effects on their health...
You do that, and let me know how you intend to go about it, and the final results. 🙂 You'll be able to find me because I will be the one that doesn't stink of smoke, or have red eyes due to sitting in the smoke. 🙂

Bam!
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
am1958 wrote:
Maybe we _campers_ should boycott those that "don't like the smell of smoke" or has detrimental effects on their health...
You do that, and let me know how you intend to go about it, and the final results. 🙂 You'll be able to find me because I will be the one that doesn't stink of smoke, or have red eyes due to sitting in the smoke. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

am1958
Explorer
Explorer

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Airdaile wrote:
What puzzles me is that people will take part in an activity that clearly includes an aspect that they don't like, and knowing full well that that particular aspect is an integral part of the activity, set out to change things to remove that part which they don't like, ruining it for everyone.

"Gee I love surfing, but the sharks!!! We should kill all the seals so the sharks will go away."

For Barney...
"I love ice cream, but the sugar!!! Let's get the gummint to set limits on the amount of sugar they are forcing me to eat."

Make a trip to Prince Edward Island to find out how much french fries made with heart healthy oils suck.

We're not happy until you're not happy.
End of rant

It is a lot like moving in beside a racetrack, or airport, and whining about the noise from the racetrack, or airport.
Don't want to hear race cars, or plane. Don't move in beside of them. Don't want to smell campfires. Don't go where they will be. Really is that simple.

A important part of camping is in fact the fire at night. where you can wind down, and discuss the days events, and plan what you want to do tomarrow. where you can meet with friends, and make new ones. A good fire just about ALWAYS draws a crowd.

Many of us do not destination camp. We don't just use our campers for a hotel room, we go camping, just have a bed to sleep in. We go camping to relax, lay around the fire, go fishing, or just plain do nothing. A camp fire is a big part of that relaxing. Watching a fire will put you to sleep faster than drugs. Every part of your body relaxes when sitting by the fire. That is why we only go to places that allow fires
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Yolue wrote:
We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”. It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We carry in our RV a variety of equipment and supplies for a campfire and it’s so disappointing to not be able to use them and enjoy that experience.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”

We carry along a propane firepit and an extra 20 lb. propane tank to power it in order to solve the "no campfires" problem! No fire ring to clean out or messing with firewood is required.

The flame is adjustable and comes up through the bricks in the firepit to look just like a the real thing. It puts out heat just like the real thing, cooks S'mores and hot dogs, emits no odors to bother other campers, and you just turn a knob to shut it down when going to bed.

It works like a champ for providing carefree campfires everywhere.

Can't make stick biscuits on one. got to have a real fire.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Airdaile wrote:

Perhaps you should review the definition of "integral", and maybe select the word "optional" instead.

And perhaps at the same time review the OP's first post. Again, this thread is not about campers/RV'ers banning fires, it's about the owners of RV parks and campgrounds banning fires. And since the owners may be banning fires because of complaints about said fires, maybe it isn't quite the "integral" part of the activity that you think it is. As for me, and many others from what I've seen and heard, not having a fire doesn't "ruin" anything.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Bert Ackerman wrote:
If you do not like campfires, don't go to "Campgrounds" that have fire rings and permit fires. It's really that easy. Up in the Northeast / Mid Atlantic, the public campgrounds be they State or Fed/USACE, were built to be campgrounds for camping. They all permit fires and all have fire rings. They were not built to be overnight stops for travelers or to be long term accomodations for full timers. They are for the residents of those areas to be able to get out and experience nature. Campfires have always been a part of that experience and always will be.

If you want to "RV", go to RV Parks or Resorts.
Nope, I'll go where I want to go, thank you very much. I RV, I gave up tents and camping many years ago. Got a tent? You're camping. Got a trailer? You're RV'ing.

Some just need a line drawn in the sand definition I suppose.

That's wonderful you can do that. Go to a campground that has fire rings while you're rving, build a fire or not?, your choice. Don't expect to not get some smoke from those that do. Go to a packed in RV park without fire rings. Enjoy.

It does not change the purpose for which a lot of facilities were built for. You hear
the B&M all the time on these boards, usually from RVers. Tree branches, small sites, out of level sites, unpaved sites, 30 amp only, campfires, dogs, etc. They want to RV, and have every location fit their description of it and meet every need.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer

"Gee I love surfing, but the sharks!!! We should kill all the seals so the sharks will go away."

For Barney...
"I love ice cream, but the sugar!!! Let's get the gummint to set limits on the amount of sugar they are forcing me to eat."

Make a trip to Prince Edward Island to find out how much french fries made with heart healthy oils suck.

We're not happy until you're not happy.
End of rant

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The No Campfires may be by law... In some conditions the government puts out a burn ban and that includes (in some areas) campfires...

I have a propane campfire that is exempt from those burn bans. Even used it a few times.

ICE CREAM.. I do know some companies whip a lot of air in to the mix

Schwan's is heavier (usually) than most "Store bought"

And a friend of mine was named Jack.. but folks called him Henry... WHY.
Well he used to work for a man named Henry who started a company (Henry's Ice Cream) as a "Jack of many trades" He pedaled the product all over the neighborhood (Bicycle delivery boy) Curb hop. General go-fer.. Saved his tips and income and when Henry Retired... Bought the place... Made some very fine ice cream.

Also did molds. and bricks with a design that ran all the way through the brick (Example you got a brick with a christmas tree stenciled on. only you sliced it there was still a tree "Stenciled" it ran through)

Shipped via Greyhound package express all over the country.

THat was good ice cream.. Last time I passed though he'd retired and his sons had no interest so.. Closed.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yolue wrote:

We carry along a propane firepit and an extra 20 lb. propane tank to power it in order to solve the "no campfires" problem! No fire ring to clean out or messing with firewood is required.

The flame is adjustable and comes up through the bricks in the firepit to look just like a the real thing. It puts out heat just like the real thing, cooks S'mores and hot dogs, emits no odors to bother other campers, and you just turn a knob to shut it down when going to bed.

It works like a champ for providing carefree campfires everywhere.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
A campground we have frequented for decades, we love a fire out front of the coach near the lake, in the cool of the evening and night. The Loons hollering early,Squirrels running around. Trouble is I can't take much of a good thing,
Build the fire out large oak and hickory and I might make it two hours but probably not once the fire is crackling, stars sparkllng overhead and my eyes refuse to stay open.
If I can find one again a hammock with a rain cover or whatever overhead and a couple of warm blankets, and I'll sleep by the fire. If I was younger might do it on the ground again.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bert Ackerman wrote:
If you do not like campfires, don't go to "Campgrounds" that have fire rings and permit fires. It's really that easy. Up in the Northeast / Mid Atlantic, the public campgrounds be they State or Fed/USACE, were built to be campgrounds for camping. They all permit fires and all have fire rings. They were not built to be overnight stops for travelers or to be long term accomodations for full timers. They are for the residents of those areas to be able to get out and experience nature. Campfires have always been a part of that experience and always will be.

Nope, I'll go where I want to go, thank you very much. I RV, I gave up tents and camping many years ago. Got a tent? You're camping. Got a trailer? You're RV'ing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
Yolue wrote:

Au contraire. Please supply a list of these smoke free campgrounds. They're my next stops.
I agree! Carry one of those propane "campfires" if you must, but leave the firewood behind. I hate the smoke and the smell of my clothes and trailer after being around one. Very much prefer the campgrounds that don't allow them.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer