cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bike Racks

salem
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who have receiver hitches on the rear of your RV's. I'm looking to replace my old bike rack and can't help but notice they all plainly state, NOT FOR USE ON THE BACK OF RV's. Is this just to cover themselves in case of an accident, or is there a legitimate reason for this warning? Have you knowledge of someone getting in legal issues over this? I've personally had one for over 10 years and never had any issues. Now, I'm kind of afraid about putting a new one on.
18 REPLIES 18

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
I use a bike rack mounted on the front of my F250 (truck camper). I put the seat posts inside the cab. Doesnโ€™t block my lights,not that I do much night driving. Doesnโ€™t interrupt the airflow to my engine. We crossed the country several times with no problems. Just switched this week to folding,electric assist Blix+ bikes. Two fit easily behind the seats in our SuperCab after removing the rear folding seat and seat back. Going for initial test flight tomorrow. I may write a report if I survive.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Addy15 wrote:
Yakima makes a couple of RV-rated bike racks. One is called "Road Trip" and the other is called "Long Haul". We have the Long Haul and it has worked out very well.

I have the Road Trip, and it works very nicely too, on the back of my class C motorhome. After 13,000 miles to and around and back from Alaska, over some none too smooth roads, and nary a problem beyond things getting really really dirty. (Well, a bit of paint was rubbed off the bike from the dirt and bouncing where it was held on the rack, but that's hardly the fault of the rack.)

There are a couple of other companies that make "RV-rated" bike racks. E-trailer lets you search their lines based on that criteria.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I think it is a CYA thing but to be safe get one that is RV rated.

I have This one it fits in my 2 inch receiver and easy to load and I like the way it folds so I can get to the rear door of my large storage area without having to take it off,

As for the bouncing that others have talked about to make it less pronounced You need a good anti rattle device so you don't get so much play in the receiver,thus magnifying the movement and doing more damage to the bike rack.

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type,totally useless.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.

I also have the Swagman X2 carrier, but with the 1-1/4" bar, which I chose as it curves up giving more clearance to the in bed tool box. Mine doesn't use a standard pin, but a bolt the is used to draw the Rack tight to the receiver tube. I have zero issue with bounce with the bikes riding on the pin box.
My reason for pin box mount, followed too many with bike racks on the back of the trailer, thought many were going to bounce right off the rack! I have also seen a rack with bikes laying on the ground 4 miles from a state park!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Yakima makes a couple of RV-rated bike racks. One is called "Road Trip" and the other is called "Long Haul". We have the Long Haul and it has worked out very well.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all in favor of a 2 inch post on the rack not the smaller size with a 2 inch adapter; for strength reasons.
We have a rack on the front of our TV and despite being held down with several bungees our two adult bikes bounce around pretty good on our bad roads particularly at bridge joints.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it is a CYA thing but to be safe get one that is RV rated.

I have This one it fits in my 2 inch receiver and easy to load and I like the way it folds so I can get to the rear door of my large storage area without having to take it off,

As for the bouncing that others have talked about to make it less pronounced You need a good anti rattle device so you don't get so much play in the receiver,thus magnifying the movement and doing more damage to the bike rack.

I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Roadmaster type,totally useless.

Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, folks, and yes, I will definitely take a look at Swagman.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
Itโ€™s because the bouncing will eventually bend it. Look atm Swagman. They have several models for RV use.

x2!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sam, IMO the โ€œrackโ€ rarely fails. The bumper or bumper receiver usually fails.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I have my bike rack at the rear of the RV and have had no problem.

But get a sturdy one, the RV has a lot more bounce than you truck or tow vehicle.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thereโ€™s always a legal issue, Dutch. Manufacturer says โ€œno,โ€ bikes fall off injuring persons and/or property. Then itโ€™s all about the damages to the innocent party/parties. Dutch needs to spend some time in a civil injury courtroom.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Think FORWARD, look at front of trailer mounting. There are many for TT, 5erโ€™s typically need to have a receiver fabricated for the pin box.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Agree on the bounce. While some ride fairly smoothly, I have seen some bouncing so violently that I wondered how long they would last. And I would bet very few people actually know what theirs is doing back there.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itโ€™s because the bouncing will eventually bend it. Look at Swagman. They have several models for RV use.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73