cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best tow vehicle for our rig

mgreene
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a new travel trailer that’s 30’ long and weighs around 7500 pounds. On our way home, we realized our 2001 Chevy 1500 had a little trouble. Although it is within my threshold, it is too much for it! I have found a 2013 Chevy with the 6.0 and 6 speed automatic trans. It has 3.73 gears. I really don’t want to go the diesel route due to the long term upkeep cost. We will be mostly on flat terrain, but would love to be able to tow it to the mountains of NC. We really want to be able to use this new camper since we spent all the money to buy a new one! My question,,,,is the 6.0 flex fuel engine in these models suitable to handle this size trailer?? I know everyone probably thinks a diesel would be best but not sold on that route. Thank you for any opinions!
23 REPLIES 23

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
You must have been misled about diesel upkeep; it really isn't much more than gas trucks. You're thinking of getting a gas truck with 90,000 miles; that would be barely broken in for a diesel. I'm getting 21mpg highway (not towing) with my 16' 3500 and between 10 and 12 mpg towing a heavy 5th wheel. I also use my truck as a daily driver. Its a personal choice but your reasons against diesel aren't legit. If you really want a good towing truck then you might want to rethink diesel options.

Why oh why? The man said he is looking for gas engine truck. Why would you recommend anything else?

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend Ford 6.2L, GM 6.0, or Ram 6.4L with 4.x axle ratio. I have the 6.0L and 3.73 which is just fine. 5th gear 72mph is 2500rpm. I'd like that to be a little higher to hold more hills and save a couple downshifts.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mgreene
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I still haven’t actually got to the dealership to look at the 2500 in question due to the holiday weekend. Hopefully I can get there this week and check it out. Any known issues to look for on a used 2500 besides the for mentioned car fax and service history?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
mgreene wrote:
From what I have been able to find, a comparable diesel rig would be close to 10k more. Not that I’m completely against buying a 20 year old truck, I just want as new as I can afford that will do the job needed. Most I’ve found in this price range have 200k plus and although I realize that’s not wore out for a Diesel engine, the rest of the truck has 200k miles. Looking at transmission, wheel bearings, rear end, etc. I know some people are die hard diesel and spending a few thousand for injectors and such may not be much of an issue. I’m just trying to find what’s best in the long run for our little family!

Gas or Diesel, the rest of the truck usually wears out before the engine. It's a myth from 40-50yrs ago when a gas engine was trash at 100k miles, that diesel lasts...sooo much longer.

It will cost you a bit more in gas but unless you are doing a ton of miles, the fuel savings will never make up the extra cost.

We've had both and diesel is nice but just can't justify the cost.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 7250 dry, you'll likely scale at around 8500 packed and ready to camp. The 4500 payload figure you saw is for a reg cab long box 2WD, etc. Average cargo capacity on these trucks in crew cab 4WD form is usually about 3000 lbs.

That said, you should have no issues with this truck. The 6.0L is a proven durable engine and should be good for 200K and the 6L80E trans mission is also pretty sturdy. Pull a Carfax if you can and see if there is a service history.

Any 2500 truch should do a good job pulling the new TT, now just in terms of power but handling and stopping as well.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mgreene wrote:
From what I have been able to find, a comparable diesel rig would be close to 10k more. Not that I’m completely against buying a 20 year old truck, I just want as new as I can afford that will do the job needed. Most I’ve found in this price range have 200k plus and although I realize that’s not wore out for a Diesel engine, the rest of the truck has 200k miles. Looking at transmission, wheel bearings, rear end, etc. I know some people are die hard diesel and spending a few thousand for injectors and such may not be much of an issue. I’m just trying to find what’s best in the long run for our little family!

You’re correct. And the truck you’re asking about will do a fine job.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
mgreene wrote:
Sorry for the confusion guys. The one I’m looking at is a 2500 truck. Asking around 24k with about 90k miles on it. It will not be a daily driver. Currently we only used our old camper a few times a year but are hoping to get a little more use with the new one. Just wanted to make sure this was enough truck. The 7500 is dry weight. Actually I think it was 7250lbs. Was hoping to stay around or below 25k with the truck purchase. Not set on Chevy/ GMC either. May consider a Ford if I found the right rig! Thanks for the help!

Many on these forums don't know that a 2013 6.0 gas GM, would have to be in a HD truck, so yes, a little confusing for some. Years ago they did put that engine in a fake 1500, that was really a 3/4 ton truck. The 6.0 GM is a great engine, the 6-speed will help make up for the 3.73 gears. The Ford SuperDuty with 6.2 6-speed came out in 2011, and is also a great engine. If treated right 90K miles on either of these engines is of no concern, either easily capable of 200K. The Ford 6-speed tranny is near bullet proof also.

Jerry

mgreene
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer is about 7500lbs. From what I’ve found online, the 2500 I’m looking at is rated to pull somewhere between 9800-10200. I think I saw payload capacity on 1 site around 4500lbs

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the trailer GVWR? What is the truck tow rating and payload capacity?

mgreene
Explorer
Explorer

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
You must have been misled about diesel upkeep; it really isn't much more than gas trucks. You're thinking of getting a gas truck with 90,000 miles; that would be barely broken in for a diesel. I'm getting 21mpg highway (not towing) with my 16' 3500 and between 10 and 12 mpg towing a heavy 5th wheel. I also use my truck as a daily driver. Its a personal choice but your reasons against diesel aren't legit. If you really want a good towing truck then you might want to rethink diesel options.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
One ton diesel. Simple.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good truck, too expensive for what it is.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mgreene
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, I thought good gas mileage was a thing of the past when I purchased our first travel trailer some years ago! Now going to something that’s 2000lbs more,,,, I know better than to expect miracles!!