cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom Fan Upgrade

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
The puny fan in our bathroom vent died on our last trip. 75% of our camping is at the local beach with zero shade so we run the bathroom fan 24/7 while there.

We also have a maxair or fantastic fan in the living room. Itโ€™s one of the reversible ones on a thermostat. It works well but the opening mechanism broke so I have to replace the mechanism.

Both fans have the smaller maxair vent covers on them.

What fan should I use to replace the bathroom fan? Iโ€™m looking for an easy install and the vortex seems to be an easy replacement with a few screws. Obviously we are used to the loud puny fan dining 24/7 but how does the vortex II compare to that when running on low or high?

Are the max or fantastic fans as easy to put up as the vortex? Any other ideas? Also, we only have a dual bulb light fixture in the bathroom. Someone had suggested running a led light strip above the fan to help brighten the room and youโ€™d be able to tap into the 12v wiring there.
6 REPLIES 6

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
I replaced the noisy little fan with a 4"x4" 12 volt computer box fan.
Less noise and enough air movement.

Richard

YES
I did the same, great results.
Enough power and super quiet.
Like in a computer, it can run for hours

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the noisy little fan with a 4"x4" 12 volt computer box fan.
Less noise and enough air movement.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We had a trailer with the puny fan in the bathroom and a Fantastic Fan in the bedroom. We would set the bedroom fan to draw outside air in, pressurize the trailer, and push it out of the bathroom fan. Worked exceptionally well.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
When our "puny" bathroom fan failed, I replaced the motor. Very inexpensive and easy to do.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the tiny fan in the kitchen area (same type and size as the bathroom) with a single speed Vortex. Two things: plenty of noise, and with the max air vent cover is seems air flow is fairly restricted by the bug screen.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fan itself may be OK. With mine I started to take it apart and I bypassed the circuit board and the fan worked. It was the circuit board that was bad. I replaced that and it worked fine.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf