cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone towing a 2007 Honda Element with Manual Trans.

bobmoore
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Honda Element with a manual transmission. It's an AWD vehicle. I'd really like to tow it behind my motorhome. It is no longer under warranty so I'm not worried about a warranty claim.

I wonder if anyone is actually towing it and has actual experience to report?
Peoria, AZ
Interested in an Allegro 34tga
20 REPLIES 20

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
^^^ Congratulations, you just won the "replying to oldest thread" award. ! ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
For manual Trans, put it in neutral, turn the key to accessory and make sure steering wheel not locked. Turn off anything that is on when key in accessory (radio etc) and head on down the road! Manual Honda's are the easy one the autos take a very specific procedure.
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
All current CR-Vs are AT only. Looked in my old guides, 2006 last year for manual trans in CR-V. Regards, Dick

bobmoore
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder what the CRV says about a manual transmission (our Element is a manual transmission vehicle).
Peoria, AZ

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered my base plate from Roadmaster and plan on towing it to Boone NC in late August. I just finished the wiring harness for the lights. The drive train is the same as a CRV just follow the same instructions .

bobmoore
Explorer
Explorer
At this point, I'm incline to tow it, and if and when I do, I'll give a report.
Peoria, AZ

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds good to me, if I had one that was not in warranty I would tow it. Bob let us know if you decide to tow it and a follow up after towing. Regards, Dick

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what Remco says for Honda Elements after the 2005 model year:
"Officially from both Honda and REMCO the vehicle is not towable. However, we at Remco have a large number of customers who are flat-towing that vehicle behind their Motor Home and they are not having any issues. Follow the "Emergency Towing" procedures in the owner's manual to a "T" except ignore the restrictions and follow those procedures each and every time you tow. NOTE: If you choose tow your Honda, and have any damage to the Transmission as a result, you will have to pay for that expense out of pocket. It is nothing that Honda or Remco will warranty. Also, it should be noted that Remco sells no aftermarket product (Lube Pump or otherwise) to make this car towable."
Base plates are made for many Honda Elements as they are similar to those for the CR-V.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Bob have you tried to PM Moose888, he said he will be towing his 2011.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Honda will have an owners manual recommendation with specific instructions for towing four down behind a motorhome if a particular model will accommodate it.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

bobmoore
Explorer
Explorer
I have read my manual where it says, in the EMERGENCY TOWING section, that the vehicle should be towed on a flatbed truck. I'm wondering if that is to prevent towing with two wheels down by a tow truck - rather than to prevent towing 4 down behind a motorhome?
Peoria, AZ

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Roadmaster makes brackets for Elements up to 2011. And Jersey Jim my AWD Honda CR-V with AT is towable 4 down. Regards, Dick

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
You've picked your choice. Now....find out if anyone makes a base plate for it.
If not....back to square one...and g'luck!

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
I looked in my MotorHome Dinghy Guides and up to & including 2005 Element 2wd & awd standard trans and AT were towable 4 down. I don't know what Honda changed in 2006 but from then on only the CR-V 2wd & awd were listed as towable. I have a 2013 CR-V awd AT that is towable 4 down. Is there a Element owners group, maybe you could find someone that is towing a model later than 2005. Good Luck

You may want to check a 2005 owners manual and see what the procedure for 4 down towing is.