cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else have trouble packing for camping

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
This has always affected me. I love camping, I would go full time if I could. But I always have trouble packing.

It's almost 9:30 am and I'm waiting for the kids to get out of school around 3. So far the extent of my prep is on Tuesday I put the sleeping bags in the popup and closed it all up before it rained. I haven't even considered food or shopping and no clothes are packed. Yes I'll get it done, but for some reason I always hate getting ready for the trip.

Does this happen to any of you?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
56 REPLIES 56

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Short answer no not a issue. I keep the RV ready to go except for food. I usually just pick up food when I get to or close by my destination. When I get back I wash all the clothes and bedding and put them back in the camper.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've read the comments that everyone posted on here, and I think everyone who stresses over this part has really "missed the boat", sort-of-say, and I feel for you all.

I guess our approach to RVing, Camping, Glamping, whatever you call it, is much bigger than just getting to the campsite, chilling out, and having fun.

The "thrill" of the entire experience begins the moment we decided to get a camper (actually, back then, it was a tent).

Instead of being a dreaded chore, purchasing, learning, and equipping the RV was... well... really ... a lot of fun! It was exciting and the anticipation was great!

Packing for the trip should be just as much "fun" and exciting and venturing off on that new hiking trail. It's part of the experience. Rather than dreading it, "embrace" it. With each item of clothing, each item of food, plan the visualize in your mind what you will do with each item. Anticipate the happy looks from others in your party when think about them putting on clean clothing, or sinking their teeth into a juicy watermellon. Packing should not be dreaded, it should be embraced, have fun doing it. Don't make it a chore.

Same is true for the actual "journey" there. Hitching and driving / towing, actually are my favorite parts of the "adventure". I thoroughly enjoy driving and towing and seeing things along the route. Once at the destination, the "journey" is over.

Once we arrive, there is the challenge of getting into the campsite, navigating backwards, setting up and finally stepping inside with the satisfaction, "We made it! Safely too!"

Oh the dreaded job of dumping the black and grey tank. No... not dreaded... it's part of IT. Make the best of it, embrace it. It's only as bad as you make it in your mind. If you think positive about this part of the camping experience, you'll find the satisfaction doing this job too. Make it enjoyable. When waiting in line at the dump station, go say hello to the folks in the rig behind you. You'll be amazed how much people love to talk about themselves.

And once home, there's always the job of maintenance on our RV's. This also should not be a "chore" or a painful job. Actually, it should give each of us a lot of pleasure. Think of it this way, we HAVE an RV to wash and maintain. Think of all the jealous people who have green-eyed envy at us. They want one, but are not willing to invest the time, effort, or money to upkeep and maintain one. Be grateful you have a good brain and can figure out how to fix and repair things yourself, or remodel, or upgrade, or change, or swap out yourself. Not everyone can do that. But we do! Then, when the job is done, we can have a certain element of satisfaction ... "I did that!" and be proud of it. This also adds to the joy and fun of the overall experience.

So, that's my words of philosophy for the day. As the Good Book say, "In all things, be content." Don't stress over the packing process. Instead embrace it ... and ... if you forget something ... well ... we've all done that ... you simply learn how to compromise, use your head, and either do without or substitute a work around solution. And even that is an enjoyable experience?

Flat tire? It's probably going to happen to 99.9% of us sooner or later if it hasn't happened already. Don't panic, reach in the refrigerator (first) get a cool drink, relax, say to your self, this will all be over with soon and we'll be on our way. And think yourself out of the wet paper bag. But, rather than stress over it, might as well have fun in the process. This actually happened to us this year, and rather than stressing, we laughed and joked and talked and have more fun waiting on Roadside assistance than we did at the campground the entire week.

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
Back when we had the fold down, we kept it stocked with everything except food and clothes. Now, with the 5th wheel, we keep it stocked with everything except clothes and food. It basicly means keeping two households going.

We still have some trouble packing, but it is only on the food side.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before we full timed we could go year round, so we kept the 5er ready to camp except for perishable food. This was non-perishable food, cloths, pots, pans. It was so ready to go we were one hour and fifteen minutes from me walking out of work to us pulling out of the storage yard for a weekend trip thought of that morning. I had to air up tires, and install the hitch also.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any problems packing. Based on my wife's directions, I just take everything we own...

Actually, we keep all of the non-perishables in the Pup all the time including chairs,bedding and toiletries. The only thing we typically pack is food, clothes, and meds. We are fortunate that our Pup actually has a good bit of storage inside and a front storage trunk that holds all of the set-up/cooking equipment.

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
I can make two trips to RV and be loaded, my wife however has at least 15 bags of stuff, a closet full of clothes that has to be different from what she took last time, 10 pairs of shoes, and several bags full of stuff for the dogs. If I didn't take her I could be on the road in an hour, otherwise it takes at least a week and a couple of 20 hour last days to get it all in and ready for three months out. I hate getting ready to go! Almost forgot, the last week also includes the dog grooming, dog shots and meds, hair cuts and pedicures for us and trip to bank for laundry quarters and road money. The last week is never ending. Did I say I hate getting ready to go!
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I tend to get stressed before a trip. Best thing I have found is to start getting prepared a week before. Make a list and keep it where you and your spouse can see and add to it. We stage clothing, bedding, supplies and non-perishable items the night before we pack and check off the list as we go. It gets easier with time but I still get stressed if I'm the only one packing everything and when its the first trip of the season.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our pop-up, we kept basic stuff in the camper all the time, like personal hygiene items, bedding, pots and pans stuff.

Then we had 3 or 4 Rubbermaid totes we carried in the back of the car (actually it was a mini-van). We carried our clothing in them and our food items. We also had an electric cooler we kept in the van since the pop-up did not have a refrigerator (I removed the ice-box and tuned that space into storage).

In preparation, those Rubbermaid totes were in the house where they were packed and pretty much ready to go as soon as laundry was done. Food items were packed also, like canned good and such. The electric cooler was brought in the house also and packed when convenient.

Then, when it came time to actually leave, all we had to do was put the totes and the electric cooler in the back of the mini-van, hitch and go.

We reversed the process once at the campground. When clothes emptied, that became the dirty laundry hamper. And food items almost always stayed in the back of the van. It was easier than hauling things back and forth all the time.

Packing was not a problem this way. The only time it became a little more challenging was when we decided to wash bedding. Then, we'd remove everything on the last day of the trip and simply pack it in the back of the van. After getting washed, the bedding would be put with the Totes and finally put back in the van. Once at the campsite, we'd make the bunks up.

No stress doing it this way.

Now that we have a TT, we keep food in the camper all the time, especially since we use it all the time. We just bring laundry in once home, wash it, and put it right back into the camper. Done! ready for the next trip.

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
We have a TT but my niece has a pop up... She has 4 to 6 plastic tubs just for camping.. She keeps them in a closet in the house... She has everything packed in those tubs. Two for kitchen (shes a huge dutch oven cooker) 1 for bathroom and shower, 1 for misc. 1 for backpacking stuff and 1 for clothes. I know she has clothes packed in one for her self and her husband.. When the 3 kids were younger she packed before leaving for them as they kept growing...They have had this popup since she was pregnant with the first.. She says she can shove a couple tub in the popup door when its down. The rest go in their van.. She keeps lists and updates them frequently.. She has a master list she keeps on the side of her fridge and each tub has a laminated list on top. she is very organized and they go camping about every weekend..
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
As fulltimers, of course we never have to pack our RV, but our daughters do. They both have everything they don't leave in their TT's except for perishables stored in plastic totes they can quickly move to the RV's in just a few minutes. They may add some new clothes, etc, but other than that and the fresh foods, they're always good to go in just a short time without having to remember where everything is.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes! This is one of the reasons we got an RV. It's packed with everything except change of clothes and a few food items. Otherwise, absolutley everything from toiletries to condiments are always in it.
We can "pack" in less than 30 minutes.

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
No. Make several check lists and start stacking things in a location days before. With lists you won't forget anything and won't be in a last minute panic.