cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Cautionary Tale for Ford Fusion Owners

vfrmarc
Explorer
Explorer
This is a cautionary tale about towing a Ford Fusion (2010) and probably applies to any 2010,2011 Ford Escape also.

My 2010 Fusion sits in at a Ford dealer 100 miles from home with a toasted transmission. This is the very same car that has 10,000 trouble free towing miles on it plus another 60,000 or normal driving. My problem started when we took it in just before the power train warranty ran out to have a rough shifting concern looked at. They found something and replaced/rebuilt the valve body and said we were good togo. Now we told them we towed and the fluid level needed to be left lower per Ford's 2009 TSB. They said no problem the levels are set correctly.

Last week as we started across Ontario (where the speed limit is 63) we were flagged over that our car was smoking. Sure enough the tranny boiled out all of its fluid. We took it to the closest US Ford dealer and there it sits. When the original repairing Ford dealer was contacted by us they were already in contact with the dealer where the car was left. The repairing Service Manager was all about the fact that they set the fluid level at Ford's โ€œnormalโ€ level they would never let a vehicle leave with that set incorrectly? To which I said WTF, Ford's TSB about lowering it doesn't apply? He stated that there is a new TSB about raising it when not towing (I've never heard of this) and how do you manage that?

I bring this topic out because I was a firm believer in this car/transmission as a good towing option, but Ford has now convinced me otherwise. Too many issues here. We may have to pay for the transmission, I am appealing about the secret TSB I had no knowledge of and the dealers failure to inform me. No matter what I will never tow this car again.
8 REPLIES 8

vfrmarc
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:

Nice to know that Ford (corporate) stepped up and did the right thing.

They did and because of the confusion surrounding what is needed to tow this model (I think Ford changed the rules on the TSB) we will no longer tow it. Last fall we purchased a 2012 GMC Canyon Crewcab 4x4 with a selectable neutral in the transfer case. I just hadn't outfitted it for towing yet, but now I will.

Ford will still guarantee the replacement transmission for towing but we are not going to take a chance. Interestingly the new 2013 Fusions are rated for towing but I don't know what the requirements are. Maybe they changed the transmission. I do know they raised the towing speed to 70mph on it.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
vfrmarc wrote:
vfrmarc wrote:
Corkey05 wrote:
The troubling part is you bought the vehicle because it is (was) towable. I feel for what has happened to you. I sure would put the dealer to task and ask for them to "Show me" the secret TSB.

I've been the victim of tongue & check from dealers, but no more. It's impossible to make a good decision from conversation that may or may not be anything close to correct unless I see it in writing.

After getting off the phone with the area manager for Ford the Operable word here is "set for towing". Apparently when not towing Ford said you must raise the fluid (I never heard of that before and never had it raised). No other dealer ever gave me any issue about keeping it low.

I must have been stupid for not understanding the implication of towing/not towing meant to perform a fluid level change that is difficult to do every time - duh!

Just go off phone with Ford corporate, bottom line is a new transmission NO CHARGE! ๐Ÿ™‚

I am happy, happy, happy (apologies to Duck Dynasty)

Nice to know that Ford (corporate) stepped up and did the right thing.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

vfrmarc
Explorer
Explorer
vfrmarc wrote:
Corkey05 wrote:
The troubling part is you bought the vehicle because it is (was) towable. I feel for what has happened to you. I sure would put the dealer to task and ask for them to "Show me" the secret TSB.

I've been the victim of tongue & check from dealers, but no more. It's impossible to make a good decision from conversation that may or may not be anything close to correct unless I see it in writing.

After getting off the phone with the area manager for Ford the Operable word here is "set for towing". Apparently when not towing Ford said you must raise the fluid (I never heard of that before and never had it raised). No other dealer ever gave me any issue about keeping it low.

I must have been stupid for not understanding the implication of towing/not towing meant to perform a fluid level change that is difficult to do every time - duh!

Just go off phone with Ford corporate, bottom line is a new transmission NO CHARGE! ๐Ÿ™‚

I am happy, happy, happy (apologies to Duck Dynasty)

conmoto
Explorer
Explorer
And a 3rd here for the FFH but it sure does not help the OP. It sure seems some further rattling of Fords chains are in order,what you describe is ridiculous.

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Sorry to hear 'bout this. 'Tis not the first time I've read about this happening with some Ford vehicles.

Since you put in the subject that it was specifically a warning about Ford Fusions, I must add the following:

Get a Hybrid Ford Fusion, and you will not have any problems with flat towing. Ford's hybrid drivetrain with the eCVT transmission is perfectly fine for flat towing, has been for several years. That was the main reason we went with the Fusion Hybrid. Oh, and the incredible mileage is nice, too. ๐Ÿ™‚

A 2nd on towing a Ford Fusion hybrid! Great car and super fuel economy (39 MPG average for the 1st 14,000 miles).
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear 'bout this. 'Tis not the first time I've read about this happening with some Ford vehicles.

Since you put in the subject that it was specifically a warning about Ford Fusions, I must add the following:

Get a Hybrid Ford Fusion, and you will not have any problems with flat towing. Ford's hybrid drivetrain with the eCVT transmission is perfectly fine for flat towing, has been for several years. That was the main reason we went with the Fusion Hybrid. Oh, and the incredible mileage is nice, too. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

vfrmarc
Explorer
Explorer
Corkey05 wrote:

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer

2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292