cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5050 miles in 9 Travel Days

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Though technically, more like 8 travel days......as a truck electrical issue kept us at only 100 miles (+/-) for one day. This was towing a 40 ft., 20K 5th wheel! The entire outing was 13 days, with the off-days (rest days)....traveling solo, while visiting relatives and attending baseball games!

A while back, there was a topic about stopping rvโ€™ing @70 years of age. At closing in on 70, I donโ€™t think itโ€™s time to stop....but, a marathon trip like in the title .....isnโ€™t as easy as it once was.

Iโ€™m not going into details, but, this was a lot more miles than we were supposed to travel.....and certainly in a shorter time frame. Iโ€™ll save the details for a chapter in my book โ€œLifeโ€™s Challengesโ€! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
41 REPLIES 41

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Use to visit my sister in Miami on long weekends. One way from Central Illinois was over 1,200 miles. 24 hours straight, each way. Got 30 mpg in my VW when gasoline was $0.30/gallon or less than $15 one way. That tells you how old I am. Limit myself to 700 miles/day now.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
My longest trip was around 500 MI, turned into a brutal 13 hrs drive. Lots of contributing factors. 1st east coast cities, 2nd 21 gallon fuel tank on my Tacoma and last missing an exit (construction not completely my fault) and being forced to take a detour through downtown Pittsburgh PA

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
I'm 70 and recently widowed. While my husband was alive, I did all the driving of our 40' Phaeton towing a car. We fulltimed till he died. So I sold my Phaeton and kept my 22' R-Vision mini motorhome. She's all loaded and ready to leave on a 2-month excursion tomorrow. I'll start with an overnight at my son's across the state, then heading north to Virginia to see my daughter and family. That's a 3-day drive. From there it's on to Indiana to see my almost 96-year old Mom.

I have always loved to drive and it will be easy for me to drive a 22' (no toad) as opposed to a 40' DP and towing. I'm looking forward to it. I have always been a cautious driver, but more so now that I don't have another set of eyes. I don't feel my skills are diminished though, so plan to keep at it for several more years.

Dale

Sorry to hear about your husband.

I love to drive too and you are inspirational to me. I hope that I can still be driving comfortabley at 70.

Keep having fun !

X2

Well said CavemanCharlie

Mike
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I ain't a gonna try it!

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Listen to the children. As I was ripping along at 80 mph, I made the comment, "We are making good time". My son brilliantly asked, "Dad, is the emphasis on "Good" or "Time"?" I slowed down. My favorite travel gal once took a week to go 500 miles.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am close to 75 and do not do well with long continuous hours driving. Even when I was much younger I could not handle more than about 10-12 hours of driving which would total maybe 500-700 miles.

I do make long cross country trips. I live on the East coast and mainly visit the West and Rocky Mountain areas. I found way to handle those long drives without being stressed and tired. I drive 3-4 hours and then stop for 1/2-1 hr. In addition to fueling if necessary, I get into the truck camper. Have something to eat and drink and take a power nap for at least 20 minutes. I am then refreshed and ready for another 3-4 hour leg. I don't like to drive at night, but in the Summer with long days, I can drive for a total of about 10-12 hours averaging 60 mph; i.e., 600-720 miles. Typically I am towards the bottom end of that range which means I have about 3 days to get past flyover country and the marathon is over.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
A while back, there was a topic about stopping rvโ€™ing @70 years of age. At closing in on 70, I donโ€™t think itโ€™s time to stop....but, a marathon trip like in the title .....isnโ€™t as easy as it once was.

Ah Phooey, I'm 72 and just getting started. We did a trail yesterday with a 800 ft climb in a mile. Nothing to brag about but we are just getting our hiking legs back, There is a YT channel on old mine exploration and one of the two guys doing it is 85. And he is climbing up and down 300 foot shafts.
Some folks do have debilitating health problems, but so do some 25 year olds. God has seen fit to let us be active.

How do you even drive 5000 miles in the US without going up into Canada? The most we every did was 1900 miles in 4 1/2 days. North Florida to Yosemite. Had reservations to keep.

I hear ya ! A few years ago as part of my 62nd year, I bought my National parks pass. So, off to Utah we went to hit the 5 parks plus some other beautiful areas. One day we were on a hike and I was getting a bit weary and felt like turning back. Just about that time, going back down the trail is this woman, much older than I, just having a great time/ Well, I said to myself, if she can do it, so can I. I too had a great hike that day. On the way back, about a mile or so from the trail head, we came across a group of 20 somethings, one of the girls was crying and saying she couldn't go any further. We all have different abilities and drive.

Speaking of drive.. I typically do about 300 miles a day now. No hurry and the dogs like to get out every couple hours. When I was working and on a constrained schedule, I'd drive 800-900 miles a day to get to my destination. No more !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
memtb wrote:

That thread was just to stir the pot, it was put up by a known troll, and it was just to get people aggravated. Which it did.

I always thought his posts were harmless, but that is how I saw it

Mike

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Why do people put others at risk with such long hours behind the wheel. Truckers are limited to: Current regulations limit long-haul truck drivers to 11 hours of driving within a 14 hour on-duty time period. Drivers must have had 10 consecutive hours off duty before on-duty time starts again. Additionally, truckers who are going to be driving for more than eight hours must take a 30-minute break before reaching the eight-hour mark.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scottiemom wrote:
I'm 70 and recently widowed. While my husband was alive, I did all the driving of our 40' Phaeton towing a car. We fulltimed till he died. So I sold my Phaeton and kept my 22' R-Vision mini motorhome. She's all loaded and ready to leave on a 2-month excursion tomorrow. I'll start with an overnight at my son's across the state, then heading north to Virginia to see my daughter and family. That's a 3-day drive. From there it's on to Indiana to see my almost 96-year old Mom.

I have always loved to drive and it will be easy for me to drive a 22' (no toad) as opposed to a 40' DP and towing. I'm looking forward to it. I have always been a cautious driver, but more so now that I don't have another set of eyes. I don't feel my skills are diminished though, so plan to keep at it for several more years.

Dale

Sorry to hear about your husband.

I love to drive too and you are inspirational to me. I hope that I can still be driving comfortabley at 70.

Keep having fun !

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
memtb wrote:

That thread was just to stir the pot, it was put up by a known troll, and it was just to get people aggravated. Which it did.

Ah c'mon give ole Supercharged some slack. He does come up with some doozys though.
Puma 30RKSS

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan, nope not me! I only crossed I-70, didnโ€™t travel it! Plus, I was โ€œloping alongโ€ at 65- 66 mph., except on an occasional pass and wanting to clear quickly. Most of our return trip home was into a hard north wide or strong croos-wind. One tank of fuel, we got a trip low of 6.7 mpg. The past 2 weeks have hit the credit card pretty hard! :M

โ€œHopedโ€ he had upgraded the trailer tires to LTs'... If he didnโ€™t, he probably has by now! :B memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
That must have been you that passed me LOL....coming out of Indy on I-70 EB last month, I was rolling empty with the cruise on 75 (left the camper at BIL's) and I see an RV in my mirror...next thing I know he is passing me @80+ mph. Brand new F350 PSD with a large 5er behind it. As long as the left lane was open he was rolling, eventually lost sight of him. Had FL plates so assumed he had a lot of ground to cover! Hoped he had upgraded the trailer tires to LTs'....

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
My record is Tallahassee, FL to Mt. Snow, Vermont and back in five days with a mountain bike race thrown in the middle. A buddy and I co-drove it. By the end, we were swapping out about every hour. I was much younger then..