cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2021 trips already being canceled.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I booked a 2 week trip to St. Lucia end of March.
She just informed me that refund was on her desk......no comment.
20 REPLIES 20

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2 week cruise in Feb 2021 got moved to Feb 2022.

For now, we are still planning our Christmas trip to FL. I checked the campground's website today, and they are continuing loosening restrictions.

markc
Explorer
Explorer
Canceled a camping trip this past week. We were to leave this past Wednesday but due to travel concerns after the elections, we canceled.
Wildcat 327 RE 5th-wheel
F-250 KR-CC 4x4 PSD

And a Yellow Lab "Sunny"

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moderator wrote:
Back to the topic folks; the topic is about needing, or not needing, to cancel travel plans because of Covid.

^^^^^ This.

One can be optimistic and realistic. They ae not mutually exclusive. I am hopeful for a better 2021 season. Starting to make my 180 window reservations now, one already scheduled. But I know that, due to Covid AND fires here in Colorado, there will necessarily be some differences in 2021 vs 2020. I can still make reservations. Just enough of a realist to understand that I may be getting a refund. Or try for different venues.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Lantley wrote:
During the 1918 Pandemic, the closest thing we know about to compare to our current scenario to,650K people died. The 2nd wave was the worst. It is said people had virus fatigue and were reluctant to shut down a 2nd time.
There was also a 3rd wave in 1918. It took five years from the start for the country to forget about the pandemic back then
We maybe following in their footsteps.
Unfortunately life as usual is not around the corner.
You can't compare the Spanish flu to this virus. They are orders of magnitude different. If this virus were anything like the Spanish flu, there would be over 2 million fatalities in the US. So far it's about one tenth that. The Spanish flu was bad because it attacked the young and healthy disproportionately. This virus does not, it is most serious with people who have several underlying conditions. Last I read about 90% of the fatalities had 2 or more underlying illnesses.

And they're already starting to hedge about the efficacy of the vaccine, saying it will probably be about as effective as the seasonal flu vaccine. IOW, not very. And will most likely have to be gotten every year, just like the seasonal flu shots.

At the end of the day I think the biggest difference is we have modern technology vs. back then.
However if you look at photos from the 1918 Pandemic you will see mask wearing, and reactions similar to what we have today.
To some degree our modern technology may help us , but vaccines are not a sure thing just yet.
We can't agree to wear mask nevertheless get a vaccine. There was already and anti Vax movement before the pandemic.
I do agree vaccines have the potential to be a game changer, but it premature to say how effective they will be.
Remember according to accounts the 2nd wave was the worst. By the 3rd wave things were improving. Currently it appears the virus is spiking world wide. Is the 2nd wave upon us now? How for off are vaccines?
I'm no virus expert I'm just giving data and accounts the 1918 Pandemic. Is it relevant to what we are going through now.
You can decide for yourself. But I will reiterate.
"If we don't learn from our past history we are bound to repeat it"
I did not make that up... someone came up with that bit of advice long before the pandemic and long before me.....LOL
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Back to the topic folks; the topic is about needing, or not needing, to cancel travel plans because of Covid.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
During the 1918 Pandemic, the closest thing we know about to compare to our current scenario to,650K people died. The 2nd wave was the worst. It is said people had virus fatigue and were reluctant to shut down a 2nd time.
There was also a 3rd wave in 1918. It took five years from the start for the country to forget about the pandemic back then
You can't compare the Spanish flu to this virus. They are orders of magnitude different. If this virus were anything like the Spanish flu, there would be over 2 million fatalities in the US. So far it's about one tenth that. The Spanish flu was bad because it attacked the young and healthy disproportionately. This virus does not, it is most serious with people who have several underlying conditions. Last I read about 90% of the fatalities had 2 or more underlying illnesses.

And they're already starting to hedge about the efficacy of the vaccine, saying it will probably be about as effective as the seasonal flu vaccine. IOW, not very. And will most likely have to be gotten every year, just like the seasonal flu shots.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Going full steam ahead with camping plans without accessing the future situation is silly.

Why? What's wrong with being optimistic with the understanding that plans may have to change? No one is pretending things are "hunky dory". Optimism is what gives us hope, keeps us going and helps us look forward to the future. Without optimism we would never hope to go to college, apply for a new job or get married. Being optimistic is also being realistic-things change and optimism accepts that. The only "reasonable precaution" one needs to take is accepting that disappointment may be on the horizon.

My brother and I are considering a two week trip in February to Yuma for some sun and golf.
We are both ancient and have underlying health issues.
I am wondering if this is a good idea. It could be even worse by then?

Could be worse but also could be better if the vaccine is available. Make your plans, minimize your losses with regard to cancellation policies, etc., and go for it. You need to do a risk/reward analysis and decide if it's better to sit on the couch or move forward.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
My brother and I are considering a two week trip in February to Yuma for some sun and golf.
We are both ancient and have underlying health issues.
I am wondering if this is a good idea. It could be even worse by then?

Jesseannie

Good approach Lantley! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Homeless by Choice wrote:
Lantley wrote:

Why the Doom and Gloom? Let people be optimistic. What will be, will be. Let's all pray and be hopeful.

LeRoy

Its not gloom and doom. It's reality. Pretending everything is "Hunky Dory" is not beneficial.
Taking reasonable precaution is a more beneficial approach.
Learning from are past actions is always helpful. Not learning from our actions would be a mistake.
Optimism is a good thing, however we can't ignore reality for the sake of optimism.
Going full steam ahead with camping plans without accessing the future situation is silly.
I do have 2021 camping plans they are a bit more conservative than most years, I will wait and see how things play out and adjust accordingly.
Correct Trax,Splendide

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

Why the Doom and Gloom? Let people be optimistic. What will be, will be. Let's all pray and be hopeful.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Correct Trax,Splendide

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diamond c wrote:
We havenโ€™t finished camping for this year yet, but weโ€™re planning on camping as much next year as we did this year, or even more. I expect they we have a vaccine perfected soon, and things will get back to normal more and more.
Yep, we don't intend to do things any different next year. Can't hide in fear forever, this virus is not going to go away, and the vaccine is figured to be about as effective as the seasonal flu vaccine. So get out there, and do it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We havenโ€™t finished camping for this year yet, but weโ€™re planning on camping as much next year as we did this year, or even more. I expect they we have a vaccine perfected soon, and things will get back to normal more and more.