cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt dehumidifier

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone actually used 12 volt dehumidifier? If so what is your experience and any recommendations for a brand name.

Please no war stories about wet trailers etc. I just need info from folks who have actually used a 12 volt dehumidifier and any recommendations for brands.
8 REPLIES 8

Metaphor_7182
Explorer
Explorer
Been using a 12 volt dehumidifier Eva-Dry 2200 since November on weekend trips and when parked by the garage. Exterior humidity is generally 85 to 99%.
At the moment temp it is 29F at 99% humidity.
Inside the rig it is 54% humidity, never saw it above 70% since we plugged it in.

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. Living in the Smokies I am familiar w/ humidity. I have 2 units in my home as well as a large "commercial type" in the crawlspace of my house. It looks as though I will have to stay w/ my current practice of using 2 large "Damp-Rids" and changing them every month during the winter. The RV park where I keep the TT cuts off power/water to the section of the park where I am during the winter as they don't rent spaces in that area during the winter. My TT is one of only 2 -3 that remains in storage in that part of the park during the winter. This park is convenient, close to my house and from April thru Oct I have access to water, elec and sewer. Cost is reasonable but just went up $10 this year. I may look around for another spot where I can have and use the electric all year long.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
The 12V dehumidifiers are very inefficient. They are a thermoelectric device, like the 12V coolers. Second, they don't remove much water/day.

We needed a dehumidifer when we travel to the coast and have a small portable home unit. On a humid or rainy day it will fill up the 3 gallon tank in about 12-14 hours. We need to empty it twice/day. 12V units remove pints/day at most.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I was looking up Energystar.gov website. I know that de-humidifiers use a huge amount of power. This is a link to a average high efficiency dehumidifier, it consumes about 1.8 kilowatts of power per liter of water recovered. That is more energy than can be stored in a 12 volt battery to just capture 1 liter of water! And to survive the whole winter, you would need to use 3-4 amps at 120 volts for a couple of hours per day, depending on how much air is circulating into the RV during each day.

I don't think you would find something that is 12 VDC to run your dehumidifier.

lCicky

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's what to keep in your RV in the winter to keep the inside air dry - it doesn't require any power:

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Gram-Silica-Canister-Dehumidifier/dp/B003QZ6PZ0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&q...
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
With no power, it is highly unlikely you will get more than a few weeks out of the battery. Maybe even a lot less depending on how much the dehumidifier runs and the power draw.

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
If they exist ?
You will find them from somebody, who caters to truckers

I found one at a company called EVA-Dry. I am waiting for info from them as to the power requirements. I need to put one in the TT during the winter while in storage as the storage company turns off both power and water after November 1.

MrWizard
If they exist ?
You will find them from somebody, who caters to truckers
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s