cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing 3000 W inverter – wire size – fuze size

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad

I am thinking about adding an 3000 W inverter to my RV. What size fuse should I put in the 12 Volt line from the battery to the inverter? Do you have a recommended brand name? I have also read that some inverters come with cables that are undersized. What size would you recommend?

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
6 REPLIES 6

mrshane
Explorer II
Explorer II

For a 12 V battery bank, you would need a fuse size of around 300 A or more, and cable size of around 2/0 AWG or 4/0 AWG 

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

TenOC I have a Magnum hybrid. If I were purchasing again I'd go Victron Hybrid. (hybrid units do load support but not voltage support.)

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

a 3000 watt converter can pull up to 250 watts at 12V so add 10% minimum to that and you get 275amp fuse so what ever the next size up from that is.  as for wire, you have to determin how far the batteries and inverter are apart and take the total run leng into account so if you have them 3 feet apart you will have a run length of 6 feet.  then look up how big of a wire size will handle 250 amps for  distance of 6 feet and then you have to take into account the voltage drop your happy with dealing with.  for example if as above the return distance is 6 feet (or less) and you want to have a 1% voltage loss then you need a 4/0 cable.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

250 amps not watts!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

yup, but this new board setup won't let me change it now.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Wire size needs to be determined by distance be batteries and inverter. fuse size will be large somewhere around 250 amp.

Installation manual should give you some specifics on wire size and fuses. Yes, many inverters have cables supplied but many are undersized. Off hand with in ten feet or so you would need 4/0 cable something like welding cable. More strands in cable would be better and more flexible.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker