cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone

lostscout
Explorer
Explorer
I want to snowmobile Yellowstone this winter. Can I park my rv somewhere close. What is avalible; and how late in the year can I plan this trip?
8 REPLIES 8

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s a shame now.
We got to ride the Park a couple times before they effectively shut it down.
Being a life long snowmobiler I couldnโ€™t stomach being in line at 30mph with 30 other people,lol.
While you wonโ€™t be doing it for the riding experience unless youโ€™re a total newb to sleds, the scenery and wildlife Iโ€™m sure hasnโ€™t changed.....and it was spectacular!
Herds of Buffalo and lots of trophy elk just hanging out for photo ops. Saw a few bull moose too on the second trip.
The thermal features are even cooler to see in the winter. Mountain scenery is the same as anywhere and Iโ€™d encourage riding out of West or Cooke or Dubois/Togwotee. Some of the best riding on the continent.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
West Yellowstone is going to be your best bet. IDK if your going to find any rv parks open under 4โ€™ of snow in 0 deg temps, but thereโ€™s no lack of space in the winter to just park. People rolling in with RVs and big trialers daily.
Make sure you can reserve a tour to get into the park.
If youโ€™re talking about real riding outside the park, the options are pretty much endless to the north south and west of the Park.

Yes, West Yellowstone would work for you. The Brandin Iron Inn has an RV park attached. Most spaces are taken with larger sled trailers, but I've been there to see toy haulers, and motor homes, in use, parked there too. One MH I was parked next to had really iced over windows, due to the severe temps. I've been there to see morning temps -47F, and left to go riding still -29F. They have a laundry/shower/restroom building in the center of RV lot. A couple times riding the park was enough for me. Yes, much better riding out of the park. Trails are better, super off trail riding, go about where ever you want.

Jerry

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have some friends that are going next month. They will be in some sort of lodge outside the Park. When you make long range plans you are at the mercy of the weather. I would not want to try to "camp" on the Plateau in winter with no hookups when the temperatures can be well below zero and stay there. I used to live in Laramie and winter cold there is not like most other places.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
West Yellowstone is going to be your best bet. IDK if your going to find any rv parks open under 4โ€™ of snow in 0 deg temps, but thereโ€™s no lack of space in the winter to just park. People rolling in with RVs and big trialers daily.
Make sure you can reserve a tour to get into the park.
If youโ€™re talking about real riding outside the park, the options are pretty much endless to the north south and west of the Park.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
I just went through last month on way to Cooke City. There was nobody at the campground. And there wasnt enough snow that low to ride either. Need to get higher up in elevation. This was right after all the big snowstorms around the New Year. In fact Ive been that way probably 5 times in the last 5 years and never seen enough snow to ride from there. Actually, I dont believe thats an area you can ride, because they plow all the roads. AFAIK, you can only ride guided tours that stay on the unplowed paved roads. And they are all out of West Yellowstone.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I would call 3 bears lodge in West Yellowstone and ask their advice.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Mammoth is the only campground open. Only BAT (list available from NPS) machines are allowed on the park. Also, almost all trips must be guided. There is a lottery system for unguided permits. Almost all snowmobiling in the park comes out of West Yellowstone which will be 150 plus miles from Mammoth one way. Strongly advise leaving the RV behind and use a hotel instead. Yellowstone and vacinity is decidedly RV unfriendly in the winter.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I think the rv campground at Mammoth (where the park headquarters is located) is the only campground in the park that is open year round. It has no hookups and they don't take reservations at that campground, though I suspect that is not too much of an issue.