cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying my first NEW rv

missouri_dave
Explorer
Explorer
I've been living in rv's for about three years now. Two different fifth wheels. I'm about to pull the trigger on my first new one though. The previous two were bought off craigslist. Looking specifically at a travel trailer probably from open range or jayco. Any tips or advice on my purchase? How far should I be able to negotiate from MSRP? Any pointers on the inspection/walkthrough? Help?
9 REPLIES 9

bclinton
Explorer
Explorer
The_Owl wrote:
I would first start with a reputable dealer. We drove 100 miles because the one we have in town is definitely not reputable. As it is now 2018, you might be able to make a deal on a new 2017 that the dealer wants to clear off the lot. I just did this and got 34% off msrp and ended up being a better deal than a used 2016. Good luck and enjoy the process. A good attitude really helped us get through.

This is what we did. Found a dealer up north with 1 left that he was having trouble selling. He said I was getting it at invoice which he showed me. Normally I don't trust any dealer but I feel this one was shooting me straight.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Do you have lodging plans for when your new trailer has to spend time in the shop to fix things that should've been fixed at the factory?

DIY and mobile RV techs can take care of most things. By working with the manufacturer, you can often get reimbursed for the mobile RV tech's labor (maybe not the service visit fee, though).

For the OP- use a good PDI checklist. The one here has been good for me:
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/

And, azdryheat is right- expect that there WILL be issues. Some minor and hopefully no or few major. New doesn't guarantee a problem-free unit; far from it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
about 35 to 40% off msrp
no trade you can do very well on the deal.

also try to get 'free stuff thrown in' like 'add upgraded vent for free' with installation into a room etc. Their price to deal with their service is easier sometimes than to get more money off a list price. We always came out great....like free install more D-rings into toyhauler floor etc

Even at the end get more as in I got a free Tshirt off the retail store and a mug with their name on it for free cause I wanted just a bit more and by the time they were done with ME being a pain, I got those and was happy about it HAHA

best of luck!!

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
i got mine last weekend for 37% off of MSRP,2017 model

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Read the fine print in the warranty. Many RV warranties do not cover units used for full time living.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
Check open range owners forum

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have lodging plans for when your new trailer has to spend time in the shop to fix things that should've been fixed at the factory?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

The_Owl
Explorer
Explorer
I would first start with a reputable dealer. We drove 100 miles because the one we have in town is definitely not reputable. As it is now 2018, you might be able to make a deal on a new 2017 that the dealer wants to clear off the lot. I just did this and got 34% off msrp and ended up being a better deal than a used 2016. Good luck and enjoy the process. A good attitude really helped us get through.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
start at 35% and go from there. they may laugh at you but you are there to buy a RV not you a RV and them a yacht. any way that is how I look at it. I know they need to make a living but you need to also and paying retail is not my way of buying anything. we just bought our son a new jeep and we got it for under invoice