cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 8.1 Updates

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
This AM a new list of updates for Win 8.1 appeared. I selected the updates I wanted and started to download the updates. Windows 10 started to download. I stopped it and tried again. Same thing happened.

How can I download the updates to 8.1 without downloading Win 10?
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory
12 REPLIES 12

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
The "ads" are suggested apps from the app store. You have the option to not see that particular suggestion again or to turn off suggestions altogether.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
ReadyToGo wrote:
"they are now placing ads in the start menu"

Excuse me, but where did that strange info come from?

Also read the latest about the ONE BSOD. He has up to 20 error messages lingering for some years and never fixed them. Do you think maybe that is causing his BSOD problems?

one of several google hits about it.

also, there were many other recurring W10 bsod in various forum posts when i was looking for help for joe. no single culprit, but many had regular recurrence.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
"they are now placing ads in the start menu"

Excuse me, but where did that strange info come from?

Also read the latest about the ONE BSOD. He has up to 20 error messages lingering for some years and never fixed them. Do you think maybe that is causing his BSOD problems?

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
burlmart wrote:
but after reading of complications like fuzzy screen, BSOD every day at same time (which is apparently a very tough nut to crack), continuous rebooting, etc., i am also waiting to do the 8.1 to 10.

since i've never stopped any updates, i guess this means i am buying in to MS looking at all my data. so i may try the full-blown W10 with cortana and all the defaults of their recommended install. maybe one day when i am bored enough to deal w/ possible glitches.

it becomes clearer why MS is pushing W10 SOO aggressively...they are now placing ads in the start menu. if this is a first look at how they intend to monetize our computers, what comes next.

i think i am back to keeping 8.1, but have a hunch it will also start desktp ads down the road

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
I have heard that Win 10 does not give you a choice of when to update. That would not work for me on the road.

I have never updated Windows, laptops don't seem to last all that long. When I replace my laptop I get the current OS.

Thinking of trying Linux.

Yes it does, just turn on metered connection, and you'll be asked to authorize each update....

For me Windows 10 is as good as Windows 7 and is what Windows 8.x should have been....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
but after reading of complications like fuzzy screen, BSOD every day at same time (which is apparently a very tough nut to crack), continuous rebooting, etc., i am also waiting to do the 8.1 to 10.

since i've never stopped any updates, i guess this means i am buying in to MS looking at all my data. so i may try the full-blown W10 with cortana and all the defaults of their recommended install. maybe one day when i am bored enough to deal w/ possible glitches.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is very sneaky for Microsoft to have the upgrade prechecked. Fortunately for me I have my internet connection set to a metered connection Windows won't d/l without my authorization at the time.

I will eventually upgrade to W10, but I'm waiting for service pack 1.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard that Win 10 does not give you a choice of when to update. That would not work for me on the road.

I have never updated Windows, laptops don't seem to last all that long. When I replace my laptop I get the current OS.

Thinking of trying Linux.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
You might go ahead and update to win 10. Modt people seem to love it. Personally I unloaded it after a week. Apparently my display driver did not like it. The text was all fuzzy and no matter what settings I tried just did not fix the problem. But Im in the minority for sure.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
OK. I think I found it.

Win 10 is listed in the optional downloads and is pre-checked. I missed that. Should be ok now.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Uncheck win10 update in the list first

The first screen I get after selecting Windows Updates is the Update to Windows 10 with a check box. There is nothing to uncheck. I clicked on the box and it started downloading Win 10.

If I bypass that screen and go to the usual windows update screen, nothing is checked and it indicates that 2xxx MB is ready to download (Win 10).

When I start checking the updates I want, the size of the download increases.

I am using Firefox and accessing Windows Update from Control Panel.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Uncheck win10 update in the list first