cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi network

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a WiFi enabled printer for my motorhome, and need some help in setting up a network.
i have a WiFi enabled laptop and this printer. How do I go about in enabling the two to communicate with each other?
Do I need a router or something like this? I have an older Lynksis router/modem laying around, could I use this for that purpose?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
17 REPLIES 17

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
They also said the toner costs more than the printer.

That is the reality for many mid/low end printers and not unique to this printer.

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
No offence, but that printer got horrible reviews. According to amazon, it is wifi direct capable- I looked at their awful website, but could not find a manual to read. According to most reviews, the wifi doesn't work reliably, it needs a wired usb connection. They also said the toner costs more than the printer.

I got the printer for $25 including free shipping. I just want to use it very little, and the toner that comes with it is good for 700 copies (that would last me many years). if it is no good, I can throw it away without any big monetary loss.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
So long as it is your router (A Jet pack is part router) yes, you can connect printer and computer via it provided your do not have too many "Clients" on the router (Most Jet Packs are client limited, often to five)

I have 9 clients here and am working on more
Computer (laptops) 1`and 2
Server 1 (Desktop)
ReplayTV 1 and 2
Phone
Tablet
printer
Chromnecast
Want a 3rd laptop or cromebook (I'm really using laptop 2 for an off-purchase reason job that a chromebook could do as easily)

Am wanting a Raspberry PI as well (May replace the Chromecast cause it is not exactly as advertised (no surprise)

One comnputer is used mostly for "Plan B" motgor home repair (Plan B is to win PCH,, Least you think I'm holding my breath Plan A is more likely to happen and in fact should be ready about the 1st of the year.. If not sooner.. But Plan B would be nice Very nice)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
I am using an Ellipsis Jet Pack from Verizon. Also in the market for a new printer. Can my computer connect to printer using the Jet Pack?

Thanks
DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, I did not see any info about Wi-Fi direct. I did not mean to mislead you, I just could not find that information.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
No offence, but that printer got horrible reviews. According to amazon, it is wifi direct capable- I looked at their awful website, but could not find a manual to read. According to most reviews, the wifi doesn't work reliably, it needs a wired usb connection. They also said the toner costs more than the printer.
-- Chris Bryant

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your only wireless option is Wireless 802.11b/g/n so you will need a router. You need a CHEAP router. Linksys is easy to work with and pretty cheap and D-Link is another. You should be able to pick one up new for less than $50.

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
What printer did you buy? I'll tell you in 2 minutes if you need a router or not.

I bought a Pantum P2502. God that on a Newegg special.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem.. YOu get internet via one of several paths.
Two Way Satellite Internet... You should have a router in place, Same as hooking up via a cable internet at home only with the Sat Modem instead of the cable modem.

Cellular.. SOME hot spots will let you connect both computer and some will not. Mine does. but I never use it that way.

Park-Wi-Fi.. Generally you can NOT connect your printer to the park system, Reason is if you could then everyone in the park could use your printer. Thus in any properly set up park the router will not allow sharing of devices. or Computer to Comptuer transfer eitehr.

My Solution: Model 1 and 2
When I set up this RV I had an old vintage LINKSYS WGA-54G, Wireless Game Adapter (no longer made) this is basically a "Modem" but for Wi-Fi. IT is connected to the park, On the back side there is a Registered Jack (RG-11) wher I can plug in my good old Cat-5 Cable. This runs to a ROUTER in the RV same as if I had cable Internet at home.

I did change the 3rd Octet of my router to something strange (say 7 or 9, Avoid zero and multiples of five (5,10,15,20) I let the "WAN" side be Automatic (let the park assign) less I need to access the modem (Modem is 192.168.1.250 so the Router has to be 192.168.1.xxx (any number between 1 and 254 other than 250) to access the modem.

Option 2:

I also have a TP-Link TL-MR3040

This is also a discontinued product. though the company does make other devices that work the same way.

This is a multi function device.. I can run a cat-5 cable to a modem and use it as a Wi-Fi access point.
I can use it as a Wi-Fi modem feeding my existing router

It is also a Wi-Fi Repeater.

In that mode I can allow it to connect to the park (Actually I need to run Quick setup to do that) and then connect multiple comptuers, printers and such to it.

I have a special need which is why I use the more complex WGA/Router system (Several devices insist on Cat-5, not Wi-Fi)

OPtion 3: Many printers,,,, Mine included. Even though they are "Wi-Fi" still ahve USB ports.. Mine works that way. when it is that it works (Long story, if it gets too hot it fails to work. happened once last month).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
What printer did you buy? I'll tell you in 2 minutes if you need a router or not.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
We do not use a router.....have had two wireless printers that we have used...and did it all thru the laptop.
cpaulsen

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
If your printer has Bluetooth and your computer doesn't, you can plug THIS into a USB port to add Bluetooth to your computer.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
See if the printer will do "wifi direct", which most new ones will do, I believe. That allows the computer to talk directly to the printer, no router needed.
-- Chris Bryant