cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wierd Email

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Usually I can get myself out of a bind but I'm stumped on this one. I run W10 on a PC with the email that comes with it and FireFox. About half the emails come out normal, the other half ends up being these long crazy things. I copied just a small portion to give you an idea. Any idea how to fix this.
=20
.dropdisclaimer-helppmc{
width:100% !important;
float: left !important;
padding: 5px 0 5px 0 !important;
display: block !important;
text-align: center !important;
}
=09
.googleplay {
margin:0 auto !important;
text-align: center !important;
}
.appstore {
padding: 10px 0 10px 0 !important;
margin:0 auto !important;
13 REPLIES 13

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
1492 wrote:
The CSS text you posted is not malicious, just styling the display. Either the person who sent the email messed up, or your browser cache is corrupted and should be cleared out.

While I would agree that the snip is not malicious there is the distinct possibility since the OP mentioned this is an email and only is a snip of it and the same email opens fine on their own email server but not on Win10 mail client that it may be a security setting or possibly a recent security update to their Win10 PC which may have blocked or remove portions of the email..

They mentioned something about views fine on their own email server, but it doesn't view fine on their Win10 mail client (separate PC?) so I am guessing that they have their own email server serving up the emails to a Win10 mail client..

No it's on the same PC. I use Rogers.com, it provides Yahoo mail which shows the email properly. When I open the email with W10 mail, then it has the gibberish.

Depending on their configuration their own email server, firewall configuration and so on could even be playing a part in what they are seeing. It is possible they can open the email on their own email server and it show correctly, but not on the remote email client. They may need to check their own email server for needed security updates and correct configuration.

Some emails to reduce the file size sent will use a remote website to host repetitive pictures like backgrounds, signatures, logos.. Blocking (not trusting, blacklisting, firewalling those websites can break what you see in your emails..

I will go and check if there's any updates to W10, usually it does them at night, and if required notifies me to do a restart if required.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
Without a style sheet such as CSS, a site would display differently in your browser. Which do you prefer?

I prefer the first one.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
1492 wrote:
The CSS text you posted is not malicious, just styling the display. Either the person who sent the email messed up, or your browser cache is corrupted and should be cleared out.

While I would agree that the snip is not malicious there is the distinct possibility since the OP mentioned this is an email and only is a snip of it and the same email opens fine on their own email server but not on Win10 mail client that it may be a security setting or possibly a recent security update to their Win10 PC which may have blocked or remove portions of the email..

They mentioned something about views fine on their own email server, but it doesn't view fine on their Win10 mail client (separate PC?) so I am guessing that they have their own email server serving up the emails to a Win10 mail client..

Depending on their configuration their own email server, firewall configuration and so on could even be playing a part in what they are seeing. It is possible they can open the email on their own email server and it show correctly, but not on the remote email client. They may need to check their own email server for needed security updates and correct configuration.

Some emails to reduce the file size sent will use a remote website to host repetitive pictures like backgrounds, signatures, logos.. Blocking (not trusting, blacklisting, firewalling those websites can break what you see in your emails..

Without a style sheet such as CSS, a site would display differently in your browser. Which do you prefer?

I'm sure there are members who have worked with CSS. As I prefer to work with CSS and not WYSIWYG editors in building HTML sites, I recognize it immediately. An example being:

.appstore {
width:100% !important; Use 100% of container width - i.e. display full width.
float: left !important; Element should be set to the left - i.e. display photo on left with text on right.
padding: 10px 0 10px 0 !important; Sets space 'within' a container - i.e. white-space 10px top, 0px right, 10px bottom, 0px left.
display: block !important; Tells to display text or graphics on separate line - i.e. display photo on separate line.
margin:0 auto !important; Tells to use 100% of container width and height; auto centers block not the elements within container - i.e. no white space outside the border area.

You would generally use this within <div> container tag which would format the elements with the above mentioned:

<div class&equals;"appstore">
...some text or graphics...
<&sol;div>

My guess is that since you're seeing CSS text, the <style> tags were placed in the wrong place or missing in the HTML email.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fisherman wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Unless the body of that email had something important in it I would have to say it is most likely a spam or spoofed email and may have even had malicious content embeded in the headers or body and your email client stripped and blocked parts of the email of that content resulting in you seeing all of the normally hidden content.

The snip you posted looks like a crummy commercial for something like a program or app as it mentioned googleplay and appstore..

Yes it is an ad from Pizza Hut. A month or so ago, they all came out "normal", also the odd email from friends that do that. However, when I sign into my main email/internet server and go to mail there, it's all normal, so I'm now suspecting it's a setting W10 mail I haven't found yet. A bit of a pain.

It most likely is a "security" setting which may have come along with a recent security update. May be false flagging something it sees in the email headers and or body. It could also be a picture or link to a website for a picture embedded in the body of the email which may be blacklisted in the untrusted zone.

While you can bypass untrusted zones, be aware in doing so you are lowering your overall security and raising your risk level of something going sideways, do so with caution.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Unless the body of that email had something important in it I would have to say it is most likely a spam or spoofed email and may have even had malicious content embeded in the headers or body and your email client stripped and blocked parts of the email of that content resulting in you seeing all of the normally hidden content.

The snip you posted looks like a crummy commercial for something like a program or app as it mentioned googleplay and appstore..

Yes it is an ad from Pizza Hut. A month or so ago, they all came out "normal", also the odd email from friends that do that. However, when I sign into my main email/internet server and go to mail there, it's all normal, so I'm now suspecting it's a setting W10 mail I haven't found yet. A bit of a pain.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Well looked and saw that preferences show text and images, have to do some more digging.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check your preferences for "show all formatting" or possibly "show complete heading". The former is the most likely culprit, but the latter is possible.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

It's part of a CSS style sheet, class selectors followed by declarations. How HTML website's design is layed out is result of CSS which is read by the browser. Without it, a site would just appear as text.

Why you're seeing this in your emails is another question? Perhaps your emails are not set to read HTML format.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Check to see if in your email program communications preferences have been changed from 'see images' to 'plain text only' .
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad