cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Panel Temperature vs PWM vs MPPT

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wanted to know what temperatures were typical for solar panels. Solar researchers developed a formula that the industry uses: Tcell=Tambient+G×(NOCT-20°C)/800Wm2. Where G is the irradiance at the instant when the ambient temperature is T_ambient. All calculations use °C and the results displayed using °F.

The formula provides the following chart of Tambient vs Tcell with G = 1000Wm2.

Although it’s well established that PWM and MPPT controllers produce virtually identical charging at higher temperatures and MPPT more at lower temperatures I wanted to graph the difference. The following chart is for the Grape Panel Model GS Star 180 W at 1000 Wm2 (SOC) and varying ambient temperatures. Tcell is used for the temperature coefficient calculations. The battery charging is for 14.8v and includes a 6% MPPT efficiency loss.

As posted above the PWM amps temperature % coefficient increase is much smaller than the MPPT power temperature % decrease. However, MPPT high ambient and cell temperature provides better charging (power and amps) because the PWM controller does not harvest any power above 14.8 V and the panel voltage, i.e. that power is lost which will be shown in the IR graph picture below. Notice that at 14.8V the PWM amps are about 9.6 A just little below Isc.

The vertical line on the IR graph is 14.8V or maximum charging voltage for a flooded battery. The power to the right of 14.8V is not harvested by a PWM controller unlike a MPPT controller. This accounts for the better MPPT charging across a wide range of ambient temperatures.

If you camp in the summer where temperatures can be 110 °F+ then consider a PWM controller. But it’s only that hot around noonish so your overall harvested charging may be less than MPPT.

OK I get it – PWM controllers cost less which is a factor. But 12V panels cost more for a given number of solar watts and take more square feet of space than 60 and 72 cell panels which are larger. Lots of variables and factors to consider. My 2014 costs for 3x 60 cell panels and a Morningstar MPPT 60 controller was the same as equivalent 12V panels and Morningstar PWM 60 controller. Your mileage may vary.

My search did not find a common 12V panel with both STC and NOCT specifications. If you know of one in the 150w range let me know and I’ll like to view the graphs for NOCT.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
4 REPLIES 4

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nice work! Thanks for starting 2020 the right way!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for posting this interesting information.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Follow up

The voltage for a discharged battery is less than 14.8V during absorb charging until bulk charging voltage is reached. Therefore prior to the battery reaching 14.8V PWM harvests less power and MPPT harvest more power than the above charts indicate. This also applies to batteries with less than 14.8V maximum charging.

The above charts show the crossover point between PWM and MPPT at 107 °F and 14.8V. At 14.4V it's 117 °F.

Plus, serial panels with bypass diodes with MPPT are more shade tolerant than parallel panels with PWM. But that’s another story which is not always understood.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob