cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

roku tv streaming stick

I_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased roku tv stick.I plugged it in and followed on screen instructions to activeate it,everything fine until set up roku account which you go on line to website.You mst give credit card or pay pal info,this is only for payment of certain shows or events. Just as I start to submit info message came up that website is down and call.I calledd and was told it was $100.to set up account.I argued that there was no charge to activate stick and he agreed only charge was to set up acct.after a few choice words I hung up.Later that day wenton line to roku home website and through a link I got to site to set up acct./activate stick.followed inst. everything went fine and no charge.I am very happy with service now and their follow up via email.JUST BE CAREFUL ...
8 REPLIES 8

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
FYI Netflix is increasing rates for their grandfathered customers (37 pct of customers they claim) from $8 to $10 either June or July.
Yeah, I heard this, but to me it's worth it. My wife and I are tired of watching commercials!
Brian

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
FYI Netflix is increasing rates for their grandfathered customers (37 pct of customers they claim) from $8 to $10 either June or July.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
We use our Roku for the connectivity to our phones and computers (mirroring). Works great for showing slide shows or previously downloaded or stored movies. You don't always have to have a Wi-Fi connection to use some of it other features.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Newsy, Popcorn, and TubiTV are really good free ones. There are many more. We pay the $8.?? a month for Netflix. Netflix is awesome since they have no commercials. We will kiss the cable company good by soon.
Brian

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
PBS has great streaming on Roku. You can make a small donation to be a PBS member and get almost all their programs.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP:

Sounds like you fell into some sort of scam, glad to hear you did not pay out. There are a lot of fake technical support numbers on the search engines now, and that's their plan to trick people into paying fake setup / support fees.

As I recall, I provided no CC information when I setup my Roku account, but that was years ago when the Roku HD (1st generation) came out. When I upgraded to "The Stick", I was able to add it to my existing account.

RoyB wrote:
I am wondering how you pay for the large data you are going to using downstreaming ROKU... How does that work with the ROKU Stick... Everything can't be free...

Roy Ken

Unlimited plan ๐Ÿ™‚ If it's not nice outside to be hiking or playing with the camp fire, streaming HD video will use 40-60gb of data over a weekend.

As for content on the Roku, there are some free providers, mostly weird stuff. Most of the content is premium and a subscription is required.

I use mine for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Google Play and HBO + Showtime (as part of my cable tv subscription).
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's the data usage what gets ya.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am wondering how you pay for the large data you are going to using downstreaming ROKU... How does that work with the ROKU Stick... Everything can't be free...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS