cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline navigator for Android phone (BC Canada)?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Area - BC Canada, rural roads including dirt roads if possible, preferably (not necessary) with voice guidance, preferably free but will pay if I have to.

I am using Here app - yes, this is what it's called.
2 problems:
1) It needs internet connection to start, then it works offline. I don't always have a connection in the areas of BC Canada where I go.
2) It only shows major roads - no dirt roads, not even local paved roads like those on Vancouver Island.

Downloading Google Maps won't work, the phone is running a lighter version Maps Go, it wouldn't let me downloading maps and navigating offline.

Am I asking too much?
13 REPLIES 13

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Sagebrush wrote:

Here is an example of open source "free" Garmin compatible maps from GPSFile Depot for Canada: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/country/ca

The TOPO maps show all the details you need for off pavement adventures, dirt roads, hiking trails, creeks, lakes, rivers, back country camp sites ect..

You can also load Topo maps on smart phones too, but I've always used Garmin GPS units, thats all I'm familiar with.

Actually I do have a very old Garmin 76CS collecting dust. Tiny screen 2.2" x 1.6", smaller than Street Pilot 2620. My modest phone is 4" x 2.3".

Maybe those topo maps will work, they have more offroad details than maps in Co-pilot or Osmand. Brightness and resolution are no comparison to my phone, but it is very rugged. Old Garmin, more than 15 years. Car GPS didn't exist back then, except for military and police.

I used three 2620's with the open sourced Topo maps over the years, but I finally bought a newer 396 zumo for the motorcycle. I may end up going back to a Garmin GPS. So far the android GPS apps are not getting the job done for me.

I've been using CoPilot and it has not been good lately with the RV routes. The RV routing is a joke, either its way too conservative and runs you way around on interstates or it puts you on a mountain goat path. Its routing me on roads I can't fit on after taking me way out the way. I can't believe truckers could use the app around here successfully.

It can't even get me to the interstate from my house without pointing me to a steep lane and a half road with a tight switch back and deep ditches. Its okay for non-towing routes, but my whole point of using it was RV routing. I can do better with base camp sadly.

I'm trying Sygic now. It is better so far, I can avoid the roads I know are no good with the trailer in tow easily. You can mark a road as "always avoid" and report it too. The POI's are better, I can look up a camp ground name on Sygic fast that CoPilot could not find by name at all. Both apps choose questionable roads for a large rig, but Sygic has more options that let you avoid them and it reroutes well. Sygic Truck app is faster than the CoPilot RV app.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
double post

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sagebrush wrote:

Here is an example of open source "free" Garmin compatible maps from GPSFile Depot for Canada: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/country/ca

The TOPO maps show all the details you need for off pavement adventures, dirt roads, hiking trails, creeks, lakes, rivers, back country camp sites ect..

You can also load Topo maps on smart phones too, but I've always used Garmin GPS units, thats all I'm familiar with.

Actually I do have a very old Garmin 76CS collecting dust. Tiny screen 2.2" x 1.6", smaller than Street Pilot 2620. My modest phone is 4" x 2.3".

Maybe those topo maps will work, they have more offroad details than maps in Co-pilot or Osmand. Brightness and resolution are no comparison to my phone, but it is very rugged. Old Garmin, more than 15 years. Car GPS didn't exist back then, except for military and police.

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
If your really serious about off road maps you can get the free topo maps or something paid like this from Garmin: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/1016

You need a decent GPS with some open memory though. On my dual sport motorcycle I just use the simple 396 Zumo. I have used an old Street Pilot 2620 on my bikes though, those are dirt cheap and sometimes you can find a working one. But any recent Zumo will run those Topo maps just fine and you can use the open street topo and others too.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, everybody.
I tried pretty much everything suggested.

Disabled lighter version Maps Go - it can't be uninstalled. Tried to install "real" Google Maps, - nope, doesn't install. Probably because Go was still there.

Co-pilot: many more dirt roads than in Here app, starts instantly without internet. One problem - have to pay for voice every year. I will think about it.

Osmand - a tie with Co-pilot: I like topo-like terrain, many dirt roads, urban areas are easier to read than in Co-pilot - nicer background, less cluttered than on Co-pilot. Don't know about voice - looks like there is one, didn't try. One problem - can't pre-plan the route so that it would show the route line, in other words - it promises to get you from A to B but doesn't tell through what roads.

BRMB - nice graphics but I don't see navigation buttons, only a map. At least, in free version.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google maps allows you to "Store" an offline map on your phone
I've never succeeded in doing it but it says it can be done.
You need to be connected only at the start of the trip
And there is a limit to the size of the map..
But see "Never succeded"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I went with CoPilot RV, not experienced with it yet. But I think its pretty decent so far. My regular Garmin Nuvi died and I tried using Google Maps for a trip, it really sucked once I got away from a cell signal. I downloaded the maps for off line but you can't make a new route off line, so no good for my needs. CoPilot RV seems like a nice solution. I'm going to try it solo for a while and see. First time I've ever traveled without a Garmin GPS! I started with a 2610 street pilot, I may have withdraw systems soon. But I wanted an RV type system and the $400 to $500 price tag for those seems awfully steep for occasional use. $29.99 a year seems more reasonable...

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
Check out the products offered by BRMB.com

I took my own advice and tried their app. It sucks.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Sagebrush wrote:
I'm not Canadian, but I think this one will work for you: https://copilotgps.com/en-us/rv-navigation/

Here is a free option if your more into tech stuff: https://osmand.net/features/start

I'll second CoPilot that allows you to load the map database on the phone so you don't need a cell/internet connection to have navigation. Another app is Sygic.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
You may need to uninstall the low end version of Google Maps. I had this on a cheap phone we picked up. It didn't like having both apps on the phone at the same time.

But otherwise, pick up a separate phone or tablet and connect it via hotspot.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't use the full Google Maps app, then what device are you using?

Perhaps buy a cheap, old used Android phone. You can use this with wi-fi only, you don't need a cell plan. Perhaps you may even know someone that has an old phone sitting in a drawer (I probably have 2 or 3).

Configure it with a free gmail account. Connect it to wi-fi, download maps for the area you need, and then you won't need to connect to wi-fi.
Lee

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check out the products offered by BRMB.com

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not Canadian, but I think this one will work for you: https://copilotgps.com/en-us/rv-navigation/

Here is a free option if your more into tech stuff: https://osmand.net/features/start