cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need help

LKHA
Explorer
Explorer
two out of last 3 week poor tv reception. thinking on satellite and what I am seeing is dish maybe the popular choice. if I get service at home and a ground dome{ie..tailgater} what else do i need? watching same channel on all tvs not a problem and want auto satelite find. dish offering 200 to switch till 3rd so have couple days. hook up options questions later

thanks in advance
1st: 1981 29' Chieftain
2nd: 1988 29' Travelmaster
3rd: 1990 35' HR Alumalite.
4th; 1999 35' Windsong by Forest River
Current;2015 fuzion 403 Chrome
08 3500 DRW Silverado duramax

RET US ARMY
10 REPLIES 10

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RF modulator should work just fine to get a signal to all TV's. It will never be an HD signal so you may be a bit disappointed in how small the picture is on your HD TV and the quality is pretty poor.
All coaches are wired differently so you may have to try running coax to different connections to see if any are common to all TV's. There should be something. Do you have a box somewhere where there are a couple (or several) buttons labeled TV, Cable, Aux or something similar? One or more A/B switches? If so, this is where your satellite TV connection will go but you may need to make some modifications.
Maybe if you give us some details about what kind of RV someone might be able to get you some better answers.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

LKHA
Explorer
Explorer
He left me a modulator to run signal on coax. Rca in coax out

RET US ARMY

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
LKHA wrote:
Sorry for caps. I have the vip 211z. Thinking should be able to hook into orginal ant/cable if I can find splitter rearranging hook ups. Main tv HD others SD.

If you are using the BUILT IN RF modulator on that receiver it IS TOO WEAK to "push" the RF to more than ONE TV and even that one TV is questionable let alone using a splitter along with a long run of coax...

For "remote" TVs I would recommend going several different routes.

Ideally you can get a HDMI "splitter" that splits the HDMI port to allow TWO TVs.. Then run a long HDMI cable to your remote TV or use a HDMI to Cat 5 (networking cable) adapter pair.

This will give the the best result but can get expensive (parts) and labor intensive to run the wire.

Optionally you could run analog composite or component wire to your remote TV.. Downside is you will have expense in wiring and labor to install and you only get SD on composite and limited HD on the component..

Or an external High power RF modulator (Blonder Tongue at one time made some real nice ones, not sure if they still do)..

Now days they are making some HD RF modulators but you must use them as a set (can't use the TV tuner with these but they do have the advantage of using existing 75 Ohm coax).

LKHA
Explorer
Explorer
Double post

RET US ARMY

LKHA
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for caps. I have the vip 211z. Thinking should be able to hook into orginal ant/cable if I can find splitter rearranging hook ups. Main tv HD others SD.

RET US ARMY

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
On the VIP 211K the coax (and composite) ouputs will play ALL progamming at SD res. The coax is very low quality.

If the VIP 211Z (or wally) have composite outputs (red-white-yellow RCA) then this will work while the HDMI is connected.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
LKHA wrote:
OK HAVE PURCHASED A TAILIGATOR 3 AND 211 FROM DISH. THEY TRIED TO INSTALL AND ARE ONLY ABLE TO GET ON MAIN TV. I REALIZE WILL BE SAME CHANNEL BUT WHAT IS WORK AROUND TO SEE ON ALL THREE TVS. HAVE 3 SPOTS TO HOOK UP SAT IN UTILITY AREA BUT THEY JUST GO TO SPECIFIC ROOMS. THANKS IN ADVANCE

If you are connecting your 211 to your TV via HDMI so you can get HD then that is the only TV that will get satellite. If you have a 211K it also has a coax output and you could use that to send a signal to all TV's but you will not get any HD programming. For HD at all TV's you either need a satellite receiver at each TV (not going to work with a Tailgator) or you will have to re-wire the coach with an HDMI splitter and new HDMI cable runs to each TV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MrWizard
Please don't use all caps, is hard to read
For hi def , is either HDMI cable or or 5 wires, 3 for component video and 2 for the stereo sound

What connections do you have in bay
The old two wire A/V , used on the old SD systems.. Will not work
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

LKHA
Explorer
Explorer
OK HAVE PURCHASED A TAILIGATOR 3 AND 211 FROM DISH. THEY TRIED TO INSTALL AND ARE ONLY ABLE TO GET ON MAIN TV. I REALIZE WILL BE SAME CHANNEL BUT WHAT IS WORK AROUND TO SEE ON ALL THREE TVS. HAVE 3 SPOTS TO HOOK UP SAT IN UTILITY AREA BUT THEY JUST GO TO SPECIFIC ROOMS. THANKS IN ADVANCE

RET US ARMY

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have DISH at home, all you need to do is remove the receiver from your home and install in your rv. Of course you'll need an antenna and most go with either the portable tailgater or permanently mounted Traveler. Connect the antenna to the receiver and then connect the receiver to your tv.

I "think" this is what you're asking....if not, try again.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....