cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mobile DVR

ss573
Explorer
Explorer
I have searched the Internet (of things:B ) and have found a lot of mobile DVR systems. My question to the group is:

Has anyone installed a recording system and connected the RV factory mounted cameras?? (Backup and two side mirror cameras.)

I am looking for one to provide similar functionality as a dash cam in case of an accident or other incident. I know DieselBoss has one for truckers which I believe can be adapted but I would really like to hear opinions from someone who has actually installed a unit.

Thanks in advance!!!
2015 Thor Pilazzo 33.2
2017 Jeep Cherokee Toad
9 REPLIES 9

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
does not look like anybody is doing more than the 2 camera dash cams available. there are dvr's available but it would be a project to install if you feel you could do it here are some i found. Car Mobile DVR Realtime Video Recorder

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Thinkware dash cam. I have the front and rear cameras that are both HD 1080. The system is install in our Honda and works well. I can read license plates with no problem day or night. When I get a new TV I will install the same system in it also. You could install a GoPro on the front and rear of your rig. You would get some nice videos of your travels.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

I'm thinking one or two dash cams up front would be a simpler option

those plus one that also has a rear camera
bumpy

MrWizard
I think he is thinking of the security type system,used in 7-11, gas stations , home etc.. Only a mobile version
That record multiple cameras at the same time, you have multiple views of the event on the same time line

I'm thinking one or two dash cams up front would be a simpler option
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know of no company which makes such a system however not really hard to do save for one thing.. The stupid connectors are custom and each Back Up /Side Camera company used non-standard propertority connectors so you gonna have to cut and splice a bit.

Now, any DVR can do it provided you have an inverter.. I use a pair of REPLAY TV units that are .. highly vintage (Replay went out of business over a decade ago) but still work.. Though it is NOT working today. (it may be tomorrow) due to a broken wire one record option on the DVR's is a 'nose cam" (dash cam analog).

You can take a high end laptop add a WIN-TV card or two and splice into the leads from the assorted cameras to get base band video for the card to record.

A Stunt box (Video switch or video auto switch) may be needed.. You need about a gig of HD per hour more or less depending on the number of cameras and the quality.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

kmac7800
Explorer
Explorer
Dash Cam = DVR. I think that is what the OP is talking about.

If you look at the company Echo Master or its parent you may see some things there, however nothing that can "tap" into current cameras as they will be speaking their own language.

Also, you want a battery based dash cam (dvr) if you live in a hot area (ie AZ), as the ones that use capacitors will stop working once they get too hot. The battery (capacitor) is used to "save" the last file it was recording when turned off (or in an accident and power is removed).

Good luck.

//KMac

ss573
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bumpy!!

I guess the term "mobile DVR" threw too wide a net. The systems to which I am referring is not like the DirecTV or Dish dvr's. These are purpose built as a multi-camera recording system. They record to EITHER a hard drive OR a solid state device ( drive or SD card) depending on the type of system.

My intent is to wire my three cameras into the DVR, along with a fourth forward facing camera, to record events as I drive.

I was coming back from Florida when a large truck loaded with scrap metal flew passed me at what must have been 75-80. A piece of 4 inch steel pipe flew out and damaged my front cap. Needless to say, the truck never checked up and I was unable to get a tag number. I think I would have had a better chance of locating the individual if I had an HD recorder...maybe-maybe not.

I have found numerous systems that record video, GPS, speed, and other data for the user.

I'm wondering if any have been installed by intrepid RVers out there!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Here is just one of many I have found.

Thanks again,
2015 Thor Pilazzo 33.2
2017 Jeep Cherokee Toad

MrWizard
If i was going diy on this
I would look at 120vac security system from frys or best buy etc..
Powered from an inverter
They are pretty cheap
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
do you really want that DVR whirring around 24/7/365 or however long you are driving? and my cameras just loop thru a SD card, what will a DVR do?
bumpy