cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Cell Phone Log

greende
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have a question for all you cell phone experts. Chevy and/or my dealer sold my name to an aftermarket warranty company. When I get these calls, I usually put them on my reject list and only if they use another number (like Rachel from card services) do I get bothered again. Just a few minutes ago, my phone never rang and I got an alert that I had a voicemail. It was from the warranty people for a vehicle I don't own anymore. I went to the phone log to put it on reject and there is no record of an incoming call. Is this some new technology or is my phone acting up? Just curious. I'd hate to have card services leave multiple voice mails with no way to block them.......
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72
17 REPLIES 17

randy328
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
In my state the DMV DOES sell your info. you have to look VERY carefully for the fine print on the registration form you are filling out to find the opt out box. :R

Same as in Texas. I bought a vehicle from a private seller and soon after started getting the extended warranty stuff. I know the seller didn't sell my name.

Very simple under the Freedom of Information Act to request all new registrations in a month.
KZ MXT2920, Ford F250 4dr long bed
Bunch of Motorcycles - Track Instruction and Race
German Shepherd "Qorkey"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
PamfromVA wrote:
BTW, I don't think Chevy sold your information. We get those calls also and I think Allstate sold our information. Why...who else would know what cars we own other than the Va DMV (who does not sell the information) or our county where we pay taxes (and they do not sell the information). I have contacted Allstate several times about this issue and they will not respond to my question. My sister who has State Farm has never received one of those calls.

In my state the DMV DOES sell your info. you have to look VERY carefully for the fine print on the registration form you are filling out to find the opt out box. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

greende
Explorer
Explorer
PamfromVA wrote:
BTW, I don't think Chevy sold your information. We get those calls also and I think Allstate sold our information. Why...who else would know what cars we own other than the Va DMV (who does not sell the information) or our county where we pay taxes (and they do not sell the information). I have contacted Allstate several times about this issue and they will not respond to my question. My sister who has State Farm has never received one of those calls.

Could be true, I'll have to ask my agent.......

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

greende
Explorer
Explorer
DrTanTodd wrote:
When you put them in the block mode. The phone does not ring but will go into your voice mail. They can still leave you a message unfortunately .

Thanks everyone for your help and comments. I think this may be the answer in my particular case. I probably put this number on reject in the past as I usually do for all calls that I think may be recurring.

DrTanTodd
Explorer
Explorer
When you put them in the block mode. The phone does not ring but will go into your voice mail. They can still leave you a message unfortunately .
Todd and Dawn
Maddy and Nugget the Cats
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 31 RETS

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
When my cell phone is turned off calls go directly to voice mail. The number will not show up in missed calls or all calls list since the phone was off and not aware of the call.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
So, I have a question for all you cell phone experts.

Chevy and/or my dealer sold my name to an aftermarket warranty company.

When I get these calls, I usually put them on my reject list and only if they use another number (like Rachel from card services) do I get bothered again. Just a few minutes ago, my phone never rang and I got an alert that I had a voicemail. It was from the warranty people for a vehicle I don't own anymore. I went to the phone log to put it on reject and there is no record of an incoming call. Is this some new technology or is my phone acting up? Just curious. I'd hate to have card services leave multiple voice mails with no way to block them.......

I gave up because most phones purposely make it difficult to block and the robo callers seem to be able to override everything. etc.

What I would do, and I have done it with success.

Is go back to that dealership to the GM, general manager, and express your disgust that they did it AND make it VERY clear that you want them to get your name off all the lists they sold it to.

If they can't provide me a piece of paper with something I checked off when I purchased something from them to allow them to do so, that is when I throw in the word attorney.

This HAS worked for me on several different occasions.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing mysterious, if the cell switch can't get through to your phone it goes to vm. Lots of reasons to miss a call, such as rfi, that are only transitory.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
There are several ways to call someone so that their phone will not ring but go straight to voicemail...

Article here

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
So, I have a question for all you cell phone experts. Chevy and/or my dealer sold my name to an aftermarket warranty company. When I get these calls, I usually put them on my reject list and only if they use another number (like Rachel from card services) do I get bothered again. Just a few minutes ago, my phone never rang and I got an alert that I had a voicemail. It was from the warranty people for a vehicle I don't own anymore. I went to the phone log to put it on reject and there is no record of an incoming call. Is this some new technology or is my phone acting up? Just curious. I'd hate to have card services leave multiple voice mails with no way to block them.......

my smartphone call log offers two options....ALL calls and MISSED calls. did you check both??
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

greende
Explorer
Explorer
JWRoberts wrote:
Just yesterday I received a call from a repair person coming to our house and it showed up as 'private number'. I wanted to call him back but there was no record of the call in my logs.

I get a lot of that on our land line. Our land line in fact puts out a private number signal and we don't know how to change it. We shut it off a few years ago and now can't get it turned on permanently by our phone company.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have from time to time had a voice mail but no entry in the recent calls list. Don't know why either.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
Just yesterday I received a call from a repair person coming to our house and it showed up as 'private number'. I wanted to call him back but there was no record of the call in my logs.