cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing updates Win 7

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We don't use our laptop very frequently and have several(25)updates to be installed. Seems as though it is taking forever. I have it plugged in and changed the amount of time for it to go to sleep to 3 hours...Hope this helps and they all get completed, but if not and laptop goes to sleep, how if anything, does this affect the install? I, also, stopped the screen saver for the time being.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
11 REPLIES 11

MrWizard
I know I will check some flack
I don't do updates, unless I absolutely have to, because of something that will no longer work
Instead I wait until ms MS issues a service pack, then I install the service pack
This eliminates those times that MS has an update that breaks something and causes problems.. those broken updates don't get in the service packs , only the working updates make it into the service packs
Of course MS might never issue a service pack for win 8, with win 10 on the far horizon
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

phranc
Explorer
Explorer
1 GB a month ? holy moly thats a bunch.
2008 Diesel Bounder 38V

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what day of the month it is but my monthly updates are usually 43 updates just short of 1GB same time every month I think on 2nd Thursday. Then I get the small updates every 2 or 3 days.
All up dates have been successful so these are not redo's.

If you have only had one 143 mb update in a year then you have a problem.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
Garry: where do you come up with that hogwash? This one is 143 MB. This is the largest one in the last year.
Every update will show you exactly how large it is.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Win 7 updates can and usually are 900mb or greater per month.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes they run all night if too many accumulate, and may have to be installed in several steps of shutdown and reboot.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Those 25 finally finished(quite a while ago) but when they had finished another new one had come up to be done! So I went ahead and did it too. I think changing the sleep period helped and maybe disabling the screen saver for that period of time. Thanks!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
In the most recent batch of updates, my laptop hung on one of the security updates. I manually stopped the update and rebooted before continuing the process. It finished on the second try. I also read of somebody else on another forum who had to do the same thing.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
Mine just did a bunch of updates. Took quite a long time, but they finally did finish.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
3 hours sometimes isn't sufficient - disable the sleep timer when your doing updates.
Kevin

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Most important thing is to have good, fast wifi connection before starting updates. Sounds like you have done the best things about the screensave and sleep. It may not go to sleep is updates are running, so that probably is not a problem. If you can get access to it, you might want to turn sleep time completely off. It will probably want to restart to complete updates, and if you leave it alone, generally it will do the restart by itself.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.