cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Do I Check Signal On Carryout? - UPDATE

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I may have a problem with my Winegard GM1518 Carryout. Purchased it 4 & 1/2 years ago and use it frequently from April to October. Last used two months ago. Set the antenna out today at home and had a good view of the Sats per my phone App. Dish network receiver ViP211k says complete loss of signal. This has happened while camping in treed areas many times but never at home where I have a clear view of the southwest. My guess is that I have to check the signal output from the antenna as there is power to it and it seems to lock on to the sats (can hear it searching & then goes silent).

My question is, How do I check to see if there is a signal coming out of the antenna? This would tell me if the problem is with the dish or with the receiver (or DISH Network). If I got a signal finder meter and spliced it into the coax, would that tell me if there is a signal?

Thanks for the help.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72
9 REPLIES 9

greende
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I would tend to trust the VIP, Dish software is the best there is in this area.

I would double check, the positioning,, It may be you need to step back 2 paces from where you phone app says is good.

Also check your coax.. I have seen a lot of coax cables where I'd not give you 2ยข for the way the ends are crimped on (the ones I compress on are about $1.00/each)

Thanks to all for the help & advice. Before I got into a lot of diagnostics, I reset the antenna in a location that I usually put it when I test the system prior to going on the road.The location I had it in yesterday has been used in the past several times without issue. The system worked in the new location so there is no problem with it. There must be more leaves on the trees this year:B . Thanks everyone.

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to reposition the Carryout when the weather breaks. I can swap out the coax as I have a long piece with good compression ends on it. Will report back what I find out though it may be a few days. Thanks everyone.

accumack
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your receiver is connected to the primary output as that is the only one that controls the carryout.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, 2012 upgraded tires and front axle airbags, Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has the 211 been connected to another type antenna since it was last used with the Carryout? If so, I would run a new check switch with no cables connected to the 211 and then start from scratch when you reconnect the receiver to the antenna.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would tend to trust the VIP, Dish software is the best there is in this area.

I would double check, the positioning,, It may be you need to step back 2 paces from where you phone app says is good.

Also check your coax.. I have seen a lot of coax cables where I'd not give you 2ยข for the way the ends are crimped on (the ones I compress on are about $1.00/each)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Have hooked to a 110V outlet via a 12V transformer so no battery involved but will put VOM to ensure 12V output.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Check the power to dish. It needs a good hot battery. If power is weak it will search and then stop but not on a bird.

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. If the receiver is malfunctioning, can I still rely on the ViP211k to tell me if the antenna works?

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Menu
System setup
Installation
Point dish

You should see a meter