Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home Theater Receiver Replacement w/ surround Speakers

ATCguy
Explorer
Explorer
Question for the masses...

After almost 7 years, the home theater receiver / DVD player in my 5th wheel toy hauler is going up the ghost... and since I'm not seeing many (if any?) good options for replacing it, I'm looking for help.

It is a Sony BDV-N7200 Blu-Ray DVD player with a built-in amp to power 5 speakers & a sub-woofer. But in the ever-changing world of electronics, its no longer being produced, and I've not been able to find any surplus still available.

In an ideal world, I could just run down to Best Buy, or log on the Crutchfield.com and buy a standard household model of my choice... but, of course, I don't have room for a full-size unit in my rig. In fact, it has to fit into a space only 19" wide, by 8" high, and here's the big one... only 9" deep.

I've done a cursory internet search for like-type models from others like Kenwood and Samsung... but I'm not seeing anything that would work. Not only are the units too large, but it seems surround speakers have gone out of style too, and given way to simple sound bars.

So that brings me to the question, which is kind of a 2-parter:

1) What are they installing in new rigs these days? Do they still come with surround speaker systems, or have they all gone to the sound bar?

2) What brand & model number audio/video receivers are being installed in today's RV units?

I figure if I can get some of you folks who've bought a rig within the last few years to supply me with the brand & model number of your units, then they're probably still available for sale, and I can look up to specs to see it they'll work for me.

Thanks in advance... I look forward to reading your replies.
Tom
2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3200
2014 Ford F-450 Platinum
2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
6 REPLIES 6

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your RV has an Audio Out connection I would absolutely look at throwing out your surround sound and installing a good Sound Bar. Less than $200 with a wireless subwoofer. Awesome sound!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flute Man wrote:
Maybe you could find an electronics place that would repair it.

I don't care who you are, but that there is downright funny..

Way back in the early 2000s I took my beloved DVD player to a Sony repair shop.. They kept it for a week then notified me that the repair was going to be $150.. I paid $100 for it only 4 yrs before it died..

Keeping in mind, I USED to work for TV/Audio repair shops even I KNOW when it is time to call it a day and play "Taps" on electronic devices.

OP is not going to find many repair shops for consumer electronics, they have for the most part gone the way of Dinosaurs due to new electronic devices getting so inexpensive and know one is willing to pay more to repair something that can be replaced with a new shiny device which has more "features".

It is pretty near 2020, not 1990, video has evolved so much that "Home Theaters" with DVD players in a box have gone by the way of Dinosaurs.

Op most likely will need to spring for a HOME THEATER RECEIVER with multi channel sound decode w built in multi channel amps AND a SEPARATE DVD or BluRay player and connect them via HDMI cable.

Personally, SEPARATE IS ALWAYS BETTER, DVD and BluRay players will tend to die before any good quality receiver and speakers.. DVD players are dirt cheap, you would be hard pressed to pay more than $29 for a DVD player..

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've looked and haven't found anything that I like.

B&M have an awesome sound system rivaling movie theaters
Park model, 2.1 Samsung, slightly better than TV screen
TT Furion is last century POS that I can't get fully integrated with TV and media player ๐Ÿ˜ž

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you could find an electronics place that would repair it.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
In our previous TT the original television died. When we replaced the television it did not have the RGB plugs on it, so we could not hook up the sound system to the television. We ended up getting a separate soundbar and mounted it near the television. It worked even BETTER than the original sound system.

Fast forward... Got the new 5er (Montana High Country) a year ago. It came with the Furrion sound system. Television, radio, DVD player (not blue ray) and run through 2 speakers near the system, and have an A-B buttons to turn on-off the outside speakers. There is a huge difference in the sound when running through the speakers opposed to just using the speakers on the television.

In our bedroom (same 5er), it came with a smaller television. We installed the sound bar from the previous camper on that television. I made a bracket to hold the soundbar and can remove it and lay it on the bed when traveling. The sound bar is still awesome. Many time, watching television in bed, the sound somehow "surrounds" the room. It's really weird sometimes, watching the television, laying in bed, and having the sound behind our heads. And, no need for that Whoofer speaker either. Both systems in the 5er provide enough Base sound to vibrate the paper plates in the kitchen cabinets!

I vote for the simplicity, ease, and performance of the sound bar over the built in surround system.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I can't answer the question since my rig is a 2005. But I'm curious what is happening when you say yours is giving up? On mine the DVD player stops ejecting, it's a common problem as the drawer is moved by a rubber belt and not a gear. I found an o-ring replacement that works and have to replace it from time to time.

If the electronics are failing there is a small niche market of people who repair old stereo gear. I was looking for a subwoofer cone fix and yelp was popping up a few guys that repair electronics. You might try looking in your area.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup