cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber Optic

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
If our service company installs new Fiber Optic wiring to our home will we need to rewire the interior in order to gain any benefit from the Fiber Optic. My thoughts are the upgraded signal ends at the service box, attached outside on an exterior wall.

The interior wiring is standard home cable service. And, includes cable wiring inside the RV as well. Which I installed a few years ago for regular Cable.

Seems to me we'd have to install new wiring into the service boxes inside as well. So, it's like rewiring the home interior, and also new wire to the RV port, and inside the RV to the TV connections in order for that upgrade to actually upgrade the electronic units.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
10 REPLIES 10

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
The original cable box is on the garage wall, outside. So, I'm sure the installer will use it again. I can punch a hole right there, and be in my garage. Can then route anything I need into the attic and then anywhere in any wall in the house.

I'm DIY, person - but my daughter's husband is an electrician - so I can get his help when the times comes.

My main question was - do I need something more inside the house - so I can ask if that is part of the service install, if not, then I'll just do it.

From what I understand here, it probably needs some upgrades inside, so will see what the service installer does as his part. Then I will know. Once they finish, if no work is included inside, then I will add whatever cables I need. Thanks for the advice guys ... M 44 🙂
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

B_printervan
Explorer
Explorer
Simple answer: NO!

More in depth:
ISP/SP (Service Provider) supply/install ONT (Optical Network Terminal) box needs power & earth ground. Also keep in mind your landline (POTS) feeds from ONT as well. All ISP/SP ONT boxes offer coax (TV) and an RJ-45 (WAN Port to Firewall/Router)

If possible, provide a fiber path into your garage (Cleaner install). If you're not into DIY call an electrician with network cabling experience.

Yes, you can have fiber (Patch cord) from ONT connecting what's called Pro-Sumer product like Netgate 2100 pfSense firewall/router running snort pfblocker, Suricata. (Guessing it's not something you need).
14 RT Agile (144" MB Sprinter Van)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
monkey44 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
You're gonna love that. FO is the most blazing fast internet I've ever had. Fiber to a box outside, then Cat5 to computer.

Do I run Cat5 inside my home if the service company does not. I guess my question is mainly, I need it - no matter who runs it. IF the service company does not, then I do it or I don't truly have the upgrade???
Get the service and see what speed they promise and what you get.
Then decide best value with what upgrades.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
you can have fiber direct to a modem in your house that connects to a router...or you can have fiber that goes through a converter outside the house then through traditional coax to a regular cable modem/router inside. I have the latter with Cox and it works great.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I have fiber to the house. Verizon ran a cat5 wire to my router. The tvs are run off of the same coax as they always have been. The smart TV's and computers and cell phones run wireless off of the router.

You should not have to run the cat 5 unless you want it on the opposite end of the house from where the service company's equipment is mounted. Then you might have to provide the wiring.

Some companies use fiber to the curb and I am not sure what they run from the street to the house.

Either way you will love the quality of the product.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Do I run Cat5 inside my home if the service company does not.
That's how mine worked. The FO ran to a box on the outside of house, then the only choice I had was the snap-in connectors.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will need CAT 5E cable if running a wired network to each device. Plain CAT 5 will work, but bog down if used to stream over 1gb over a short time.

If you have the proper fiber router from the cable company then all you need to make sure is you have a wifi router that can handle 1gb network that is connected to it. If it's an all in one unit, then you only need at least the 5e cable to anything you have coming in or out of the main router.

If you still have an old wifi that only handles 100mbps connected to that fiber router, then anything connecting to that wifi will only be 100mbps at best.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
You're gonna love that. FO is the most blazing fast internet I've ever had. Fiber to a box outside, then Cat5 to computer.

Do I run Cat5 inside my home if the service company does not. I guess my question is mainly, I need it - no matter who runs it. IF the service company does not, then I do it or I don't truly have the upgrade???
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
They should run Fiber-Optic to an interface box.. From there out you either run CAT 5 or 6 (i'd run 6) or Wi-Fi... Same as you are running now.

The only things that will need to be redone and you may be able to get them to set it up so you don't have to do that.

You may need to scan for Wi-Fi access points and select your new one and enter a new SSID.

You may find your IP-addresses have changed.

Now for Television.. (if they stream both TV and Internet over the fiber) I'm not sure how that works. if they convert to NTSC or QAM and feed your house with RF from a micro transmitter in the box or if they put fiber to HDMI set top boxes on every TV in which case fiber lines will need to be run.

I simply do not know.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times