cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

exterior solar plug

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2020 travel trailer has an exterior jack labelled "solar". What do I need upstream of that plug to charge my house battery? I assume these jacks are standard so some "plug-and-play" connectors also exist. Thanks in advance.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer
12 REPLIES 12

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Be VERY VERY VERY carefull about the polarity of the plug!!!!!!!

In many cases it is REVERSED from the connection scheme on a battery tender charger!!! or many such extension cables.

It may seem like a stupid design, but it really isn't when one looks at which pin is hot and which is ground on a portable panel with the connector scheme.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have solar and you have an external plug labeled "Solar" that's likely a connection for mobile, ground mounted solar panels. I would try to trace down where the wires go after they enter the sidewall and see if you can find any kind of logical connections.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my Airstream, that solar connector is live with 12v, but it is wired "backward" from what you normally expect. The covered prong is the battery ground, and the bare prong is the battery hot. It actually makes sense when you think about the fact that the solar panel is considered the voltage source, so IT'S hot plug is the covered prong, and IT'S bare prong is the ground.

You just have to remember to use a polarity changer if you want to use that solar outlet to power anything 12v like a macerator pump or air compressor.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You could just take a volt measurement of the connector. If it has 12V then you at least know it's hooked to something.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
Do you have solar panels on the roof? Have you tried to follow the wires leaving the jack?
Currently we have no solar but I am curious to learn what is connected to what. We don't dry camp often and have a genny we really love.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have solar panels on the roof? Have you tried to follow the wires leaving the jack?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Look behind the wall connector and follow the wires:
- They may be connected to nothing (ie: prep'd but not hooked up)
- They may be ran directly to the battery in which case, you need a solar charge controller (cheap and simple to add) between the panels and the wall connector.
- They may be connected with a solar charge controller. Then you just need to connect the solar panel wires to the wall connector.

The inverter/charger (aka: converter) is a separate device with the exception of certain high end models which are highly unlikely to have been included. The charger in this case refers to a device that takes 120v AC power and converts it to 12v DC power to charge the batteries.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to check the polarity. Trailer manufacturers & solar panel designers don't always agree, in fact different solar panel manufacturers don't have standard polarity for SAE connectors (The most used for external solar connections).

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it's like the one on my Arctic Fox, the wires that attach to that plug go down to a place behind the battery and are just coiled up there. They aren't connected at all.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The inverter/converter has nothing to do with the solar.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
That depends on what is after the jack.

If there is a charge controller after the jack, then Bob's your Uncle. Add solar panels.

If not then panels connected to a charge controller, and connect the controller output to the jack.
there is no charge controller in the inverter/converter onboard then?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
That depends on what is after the jack.

If there is a charge controller after the jack, then Bob's your Uncle. Add solar panels.

If not then panels connected to a charge controller, and connect the controller output to the jack.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.