cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Hardware

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for some Dish hardware recommendations with the current upcoming cut off of the DNS service by DirecTV. I'll definitely be going over to Dish but I'm looking for some receiver and recorder recommendations that are being used by long time Dish subscribers. I have 2 TV's in the RV and also have 2 TV's in my home. I'll be moving the Dish boxes from home to RV when we travel. I understand there's a Wally receiver and a Hopper Duo. Since we've never had a recorder this whole process will be new to us. My RV antenna is an RF Mogul that will require some LNB's and arm hardware, but that part seems a pretty easy change over. Any help on picking receivers and/or recorders anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus
23 REPLIES 23

JaneSiver
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had three Ford products with EcoBoost: https://autokwix.com/review/best-eco-boost-tuners-for-ford-f-150/https://autokwix.com/review/best-eco-boost-tuners-for-ford-f-150/ an Explorer Sport with 3.5L, an Escape with a 2.0L, and a Fusion with a 2.0L. Ford's F-150 3.5 EcoBoost engine already utilizes turbocharging and direct fuel injection to boost a vehicle's performance and MPG, but the following tuners take engine power and efficiency to the next level.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
If the OP is still following this thread and hasn't made the switch to Dish yet, note that DTV has now negotiated out of market retransmission agreements with CBS, NBC, and Fox for DNS carriage. They're working on ABC...
Maybe yes, maybe no.
Depends... I went through 3 levels of supervisors at DTV and all swore they did NOT have those contracts despite all the ATT spokespeople saying they did and all the trade journal articles. Also it seems ATT has issued another postcard saying this is possible, with no details of course, after they tried the "we'll reduce your bill" approach (I didn't buy that one either.). Maybe ATT is starting to feel the bite? Bottom line: I'm on Dish now, with a recorder I didn't have before, for about $23 a month cheaper for more channels. Also MUCH easier and simpler install in the house and RV for all the stations I want wherever I go. Looks like I should have done this a LONG while ago. A slow learner I guess, but I eventually get it right.
Pigman & Piglady
Street Atlas USA Plus

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides, it comes with retrofit upgrades that allow upgrade batwing to digital HD.

I just don't understand how, after all this time, folks still believe there is such a thing as an antenna upgrade to digital HD. Every single antenna on the market (including a coat hanger stuck to the coax input on your TV) will receive digital HD. It's not the antenna, it's the broadcast. There are antennas that do a better job of receiving UHF channels where many TV signals now reside, but it's the broadcast that is digital HD and not the antenna that creates it.
The Winegard Batwing is now, and always has been fully "digital HD" capable. The Wingman add-on increases the UHF reception capability. This combination exceeds anything else out there for the RV market.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If the OP is still following this thread and hasn't made the switch to Dish yet, note that DTV has now negotiated out of market retransmission agreements with CBS, NBC, and Fox for DNS carriage. They're working on ABC...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Winegard batwing paired with the Sensar Pro amp/peaking feature is the best combo out there.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
swphotobug wrote:
You also need a 42 switch

Not with the DISH RF Mogul. See page 13 of the Eagle Operation Manual for wiring instructions.

For a single Hopper 3 install to a DISH RF Mogul, you would only need a DISH Hybrid Solo Hub + a DISH Hybrid Western Arc LNBF for the RF Mogul.

Finally, contact RF Mogul to make sure you know exactly what you need.

For a first-time Hopper install, I believe DISH still requires it be done by a DISH Installer. Contact a local satellite TV installer, not DISH, to do this.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I posted about the Pathway. Before I went that route, I had a great tripod and dish from my DTV days I converted to DISH. I had a Hopper and Joey in the house and I would move them in and out of the RV when needed.

So you have the main box (Hopper) but the Joey requires a separate router/WAP too.
So more cables, more setup bs and the deal killer was the signal meter in my Hopper sucks. It’s really slow and you could go right past the sat without a beep on the meter.
Setup was a female dog.

If you have an auto week dish, then your gold.

A rooftop dish for us won’t work.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If you use a Sacramento, CA TV market area service address, you'll get those locals anywhere in the lower 48 on the western arc 110 sat on Dish at no extra cost. For the east coast, the NYC locals are on 119 coast to coast...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
TV channels. As I understand you can continue to get you LA stations if you are 200 miles or less away, if more than that you need to switch to other locals.

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the switch:

https://www.amazon.com/Hybrid-Switch-Power-Inserter-DPH42/dp/B0788TJNM7

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Talking with Dish I thought they said I'd be able to get local channels (such as Los Angeles Local major networks) even if I was not physically in the LA area. I'm not sure that that statement is 100% accurate. Need to do more research. We spend a LOT of time in places like remote Alaska, Canada and the remote deserts in Arizona, New Mexico and West Texas. DirecTV has NO or very few local channels in those areas. If I understood Dish correctly I could call them and tell them I wanted to switch to the LA locals and I could get the LA networks anywhere I could receive Dish transmissions. None of the limited footprint nonsense that DirecTV has. I also know just from reading the RV forums that changing locations on Dish is very easy when compared with trying to change locations in DirecTV.

For all those who recommended specific hardware, thank you. It sounds like Hopper 3 might be what I'm looking for. I talked with the RF Mogul folks this afternoon and they said they had more than one arm/LNB combo that would receive Dish, but if I knew which receiver or recorder I had they could better recommend the highest performance antenna head for that receiver. Research continues - - -
Pigman & Piglady
Street Atlas USA Plus

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Technology Corner from Tech Issues forum.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
swphotobug wrote:
??? Could you expand on that some please? You're dealing with a bit of a dummy here.
Pigman & Piglady
Street Atlas USA Plus

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer