cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some help with equipment to boost internet

AAFD
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to get a easy to install equipment to boost CG WiFi and to boost my signal for my Verizon phone (hot spot) so we can use our Apple TV. Thank you.

KC
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Towed Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
FMCA member
10 REPLIES 10

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go anywhere tv? I think you want a satellite dish. Not sure how that plays into Apple TV.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Campground wifi is mostly a joke where I've tried to use it because so many other people are using it - probably for watching movies.

This worked well back in 2011 When I bought it.

Nowadays, I pretty much gave up using campground wifi because the bandwidth is pathetic because so many people must be streaming movies.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Part 2: We have a couple of techniques for streaming on weak WiFi. They both involve mirroring to a Roku plugged into the TV and apps installed on the cell phone such Netflix, CBS All Access, or Sling TV. I've found the Google Chromecast impossibly complicated to use and the Roku a piece of cake. Our "unlimited" Verizon plan doesn't slow down unless the network is congested and never slows down below 50 gigs--they have even bigger plans available. So, this works by streaming straight to the cell phone and mirroring it to the Roku. And of course this doesn't work if the cell phone signal is too weak. This does not use our Winegard Connect 2.0 4G because it uses a data plan with strict limits. If the cell service is weak, then I'll walk around the park looking for decent strength on their WiFi. Then I'll download straight to the cell phone. Not all shows allow downloading but many do. Then when we're watching TV in the evening, we just play back on the cell phone and mirror to the Roku.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are finding campgrounds with decent WiFi including decent speed, but they are hit and miss. Some campgrounds are dropping cable TV and putting in better WiFi. We installed a Winegard Connect 2.0 4G which mounts up on the RV roof for better connections. It picks up either WiFi from the park or connects to a cellular 4G signal with data plans from AT&T, Verizon, or a pre-paid plan from Winegard that is a little more expensive. You have to program it to tell it what you want it to connect to, but the instructions are good. Regardless of the connection the Windgard re-broadcasts its own WiFi signal down into the RV. It works well, but still depends on some outside signal strength. Connected to a 4G signal, the data plan will determine your Gigs and speed. Our "unlimited" Verizon plan slows down to unusable after 15 Gigs so we almost never stream over it, but still use it for data.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used Weboost five months last year. My experience was very positive. I quit using a dB signal strength app and switched to speed test sites. I Found that Weboost increased data rates almost always. Dramatically many times. .5/1 MBs to 5-10 MBs.

I routinely stream with Appletv, Hulu and Netflix.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First the major issue with Campground Wi-Fi is bandwidth. They often do not have enough

However I use a Umbiquita Nano Satation Loco M (Mine is an M-2 but I'd recommend the M) strapped to the top of a flag pole to see over the other rigs and snag the camp router from far-far-away as router range is measured.

it is a direcitional unit. not all that expensive.. However it will not always connect to the park The put in a new router here and I can't seem to get it working (May play with it some day when I'm in range. I'm not just now hill in way)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you hopefully Know Those are 2 different things
For the Park WiFi Outside our bubble here has a lot of info that might help but as said VERY fw parks can support or allow streaming. Park systems are in most cases little more than the same thing sharing your home internet login with all your neighbors would cause ... a bottleneck.
Cell phone .... weboost or a few others can boost cell reception sometimes but in Many ( most?) cases the booster in fact degrades the signal.I have one and leave it off 90% of the time.
Also, unless you have a older Grandfathered plan your streaming on a phone is most likely not unlimited like the data when used on the phone itself is. Streaming is capped normally. 3 movies can wipe out that data cap
The Question you want to ask is how can a purchase a Stand alone Hotspot and equip it with enough data to stream that doesn't cost a arm and leg. This is the Holy Grail that changes all the time with solutions coming and going monthly it seems.
I Suggest you look at the "Mobile internet resource center" web site free area and if you "Really" need internet..... spend the money on a membership.
JMO
Bill

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Weak signal or lack of campground bandwidth? Iโ€™ll bet the signal is okay.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
That equipment is called a cell phone with a hot spot and unlimited data plan.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
As has been discussed here many times, CG wifi is not able to support streaming no matter what boosters you put on it. In fact, many cgs will specifically prohibit streaming.

As for the phone, Weboost works ok.

I use this:

the CC Vector by CCrane, to grab signals from at least ยฝ mile away, perhaps more. Mind you, it doesn't increase bandwidth for streaming, it simply allows you use of that signal.

Who knows, you may be able to pull in something usable from outside the RV park.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman