cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking "Restricted" Calls on Smartphone

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've had no problem blocking calls on my Samsung Android phone (Verizon), but when I receive a call that reads "Restricted" on the screen, it can't be blocked. The call is undoubtedly a scammer, and it's a sly attempt to prevent blockage since no number is displayed. These people are a pain. :M
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
29 REPLIES 29

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Verizon has an app for download called Call Filter. $2.99 a month. Kinda helpful in cutting garbage texts and calls, but I have heard AT&Ts app available to their customers is outstanding. Big problem with any of them they all struggle somewhat with spoofed numbers, which telemarketers and scammers thrive on. End of the day, I don't recognize a number, I let it go to voicemail. No voicemail, I use Call Filter to block the number.and there's no limit to numbers you can block.

I use the free version and it does pretty good. There are some options on the paid version that some may find helpful. Because I use my phone for business and my number has been out in the ether for quite some time I get my share of spam but this app filters probably 50% or better out.

The only other thing I would add is restricted does not necessarily mean spam. I have had to deal with the FBI a couple times in my job and the calls always came up restricted.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr. ed wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/block-calls/

This has an option to block unknown numbers.

Thanks, Bobby. I found the button to “block unknown callers”. I never knew it was there until you helped. Now we’ll see if it stops these idiots.
BTW, I never answer an unrecognized call. If they leave no voicemail, it’s a scammer for sure.

You are quite welcome.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I've read this before, and I always wonder what you do when you get a call from a number you don't recognize, and it's from someone who borrowed a phone to call you for one reason or another. We've had that happen with our great-granddaughter.

FWIW we get very few, if any, spam calls on our cell phones, but I'd hate to think that someone needed to get a hold of me and I ignored it because it simply wasn't on my contact list. I guess if they really need help, they'll call back...oh yeah, and get ignored again. 🙂

They can leave a voice mail, or text you. I believe on mine there is a setting to allow a call through if it's multiple calls in a short amount of time.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
FlatBroke wrote:
Got my iPhone set that only my contacts will ring the phone, others go straight to voicemail. Legitimate callers always leave a message. The rest, to heck with them.

Exactly. Now they need the same function for txt messages.

This is also what i do. Ringtone default is set to silent, my contacts have their own 20-30 seconds of unique music clip (eg, Judas Priest 'Breakin the Law' for my bud who is a bondsman). My voicemail was never activated- my friends know to text or await a return call/text.

And like wildtoad, i eagerly await the day i can do the default autodelete for texts.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

Thanks, Bobby. I found the button to “block unknown callers”. I never knew it was there until you helped. Now we’ll see if it stops these idiots.
BTW, I never answer an unrecognized call. If they leave no voicemail, it’s a scammer for sure.

I am on AT&T and use AT&T Call Protect free app and it does a very good job of screening our Telemarketers and Spammers.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon has an app for download called Call Filter. $2.99 a month. Kinda helpful in cutting garbage texts and calls, but I have heard AT&Ts app available to their customers is outstanding. Big problem with any of them they all struggle somewhat with spoofed numbers, which telemarketers and scammers thrive on. End of the day, I don't recognize a number, I let it go to voicemail. No voicemail, I use Call Filter to block the number.and there's no limit to numbers you can block.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've read this before, and I always wonder what you do when you get a call from a number you don't recognize, and it's from someone who borrowed a phone to call you for one reason or another. We've had that happen with our great-granddaughter.

FWIW we get very few, if any, spam calls on our cell phones, but I'd hate to think that someone needed to get a hold of me and I ignored it because it simply wasn't on my contact list. I guess if they really need help, they'll call back...oh yeah, and get ignored again. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
Bobbo wrote:

You may have a "do not disturb" setting that you can customize to let your contacts through, and others go to voice mail.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
FlatBroke wrote:
Got my iPhone set that only my contacts will ring the phone, others go straight to voicemail. Legitimate callers always leave a message. The rest, to heck with them.

Funny thing, I don’t get scam messages (yet), I know those knuckleheads will find a way eventually.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
FlatBroke wrote:

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I recently installed the truecaller app. It's free and shows you the actual number and ID of the caller and not the spoofed one. It has other options for blocking etc. The big question is, if app developers can do this, why can't the FCC? I wonder if the people that work for the FCC get car warranty calls on their personal lines.. I did recently read a large telemarketing scam in India was recently busted.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Try this
no mo robocalls

sorry...free for landline
$1.99 for mobile
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS