cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ATT Mobley IP address and VPN ??

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have the grandfather AT&T Mobley unlimited $20.00 per month internet service. I love it.

I have noticed that when I am parked for 2 to 6 weeks at the same campground the mobley assigns a "random" IP address that may be 400 to 600 miles away. No problem except when I am looking for a local place to eat or shop I have to enter my correct zip code.

Today I am parked outside Nashville, but my IP is 107.77.236.33 some place in Kansas.

Since I do not have a stable IP address, do I need a VPN?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
12 REPLIES 12

MrWizard
As a mobile data device it might not
As it is not FCC required
But the cell tower and AT&T know your Mobleys geographic location, if not the street address,
If location services are turned on, on the device that is using the mobley WiFi
Then Google know which city you are in or near
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I don't recall the Mobley supporting a GPS feature...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MrWizard
pconroy328 wrote:
My Android phone thinks it's in Dallas too. And I'm in Denver. A VPN won't fix that. In fact, my VPN server is in Dallas, so the best I'd do is break-even. ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you have location services turned on ?

Emg 911 location is always on
I mean Google location services on the phone
If this is on your IP address should reflect your proximity to the cell tower

If turned on off, location will show as whatever Telco server is connecting you to the internet

(When I turn off locating on my phone, location ip will show me many many miles from where I am at)

TenOc
Try logging into your Mobley, and your AT&T account
Look for the option to turn on gps location in the Mobley settings

On most mobile devices the gps is part of the main processor chip
And also includes the BT transmitter and the wifi transmitter and the GPU aka the graphics processor
The whole want phone or tablet is on one chip
The Mobley is a cellular/phone device without the programming to make calls and optimized for data thru put
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Moving the Mobley SIM to another hotspot can give you the advantage of reception on more frequency bands as well as a better internal antenna and the option of using external antennas. Plus, the transplant hotspot will likely allow more device connections than the Mobley and is not subject to the timeout limits of the Mobley. Oh, and the built in rechargeable battery adds more portability.

What are the drawbacks you see?
Dutch

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I have my Mobley SIM in a Netgear MiFi with the GPS location turned on. It takes a bit of time but the router will pick up my location and give me the correct search results.

I never understood the advantage of moving a Mobley SIM to a different router. My Mobley gives me WIFI to everyplace in my 30 foot TT plus I can quickly move it to my TV when I leave the TT at the campground.

I do have a old MiFi that I could use for GPS location.

What are the other advantages of moving the SIM? I can see a number of drawbacks.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have my Mobley SIM in a Netgear MiFi with the GPS location turned on. It takes a bit of time but the router will pick up my location and give me the correct search results.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
My Android phone thinks it's in Dallas too. And I'm in Denver. A VPN won't fix that. In fact, my VPN server is in Dallas, so the best I'd do is break-even. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
ralphnjoann wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Depending on the device you're using, there may be add-ons or apps that you can use to "fake" your location. I use "Location Guard" with Chrome and Firefox on my laptop, and "Fake GPS" on my Android phone when I want a different location from where the device thinks I am.
Location Guard won't work if the website uses your IP address to determine your location. My Mobely IP address is in Dallas, TX and that's where I usually wind up, when for example, I'm shopping online.

Note that I said, "there may be add-ons or apps...", not that there absolutely is. Locast.org for instance, uses the IP address as one factor in it's geo-fencing algorithm, but Location Guard or Fake GPS easily fool it into seeing you as someplace else entirely. I'm currently in upstate NY and my Connected Car Plan IP puts me in NYC, yet Locast thinks I'm in San Francisco using Location Guard or Fake GPS. The Locast app on my Firestick though, thinks I'm in NYC per the IP address. I've read that a VPN will work on the Firestick, but I have not had a need to try it yet.
Dutch

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Depending on the device you're using, there may be add-ons or apps that you can use to "fake" your location. I use "Location Guard" with Chrome and Firefox on my laptop, and "Fake GPS" on my Android phone when I want a different location from where the device thinks I am.
Location Guard won't work if the website uses your IP address to determine your location. My Mobely IP address is in Dallas, TX and that's where I usually wind up, when for example, I'm shopping online.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
What do you expect a vpn to do for you?

If you want a local IP address, a vpn wil not help at all. If you want to secure banking transactions, or shield your Internet travels from prying eyes, or escape other peopleโ€™s net nannies, a vpn is helpful.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
vpn will give you the same issue, by only suggesting locations where the vpn server is physically located