cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless bluetooth thermometers?

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a good wireless blue tooth thermometer to monitor the interior of the motorhome for our dog while we're out during the day.

It's always bothered me that an ac would shut down or the motorhome would lose power for whatever reason and we'd lose our dog.

Any suggestions for a wireless blue tooth thermometer for an i-phone?

We typically are only away from the MH a few hours to hit the beach or have lunch or dinner.

Thanks

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
13 REPLIES 13

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
rk911 wrote:
RJL wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
You do not want Blue Tooth. as it is very short range. perhaps 200 feet give or take

you want Wi-Fi and a "house" router so that you can leave the RV connected to the internet and monitor using the internet from miles away.

Im not at all tech savvy, Could I use my wifes cell phone as a hotspot and monitor the thermometer from my phone?

yes. good plan.

Or you could install a generator auto start and solve both problems of monitoring and pet overheat risk in one solution for a little more than a wifi thermometer.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
RJL wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
You do not want Blue Tooth. as it is very short range. perhaps 200 feet give or take

you want Wi-Fi and a "house" router so that you can leave the RV connected to the internet and monitor using the internet from miles away.

Im not at all tech savvy, Could I use my wifes cell phone as a hotspot and monitor the thermometer from my phone?

yes. good plan.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJL wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:

Likely yes but again you want Wi-Fi Thermometers and both phones in "hotspot" mode. You may even be able to link the phones so that you actually operate your wife's phone from your phone (like Team Viewer on two comptuers) I do not know.. I'm not that great at phones. my field is radio communications which is why I know blue tooth is very short range. You'd need something that connects to Wi-Fi.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
RJL wrote:
Well, Thank you all for the suggestions and clarifications on what I actually need.

I just ordered the Waggle lite thermometer on Amazon Prime.

Paid $129.99 and its scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I'll check back after our trip next week with how well it worked.

Thanks again.

FWIW, Walmart has them on sale for $99.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Thank you all for the suggestions and clarifications on what I actually need.

I just ordered the Waggle lite thermometer on Amazon Prime.

Paid $129.99 and its scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I'll check back after our trip next week with how well it worked.

Thanks again.

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Please delete

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Have you thought about an auto start kit for your gen set? In the absence of power your genset can start itself and can be set at a temperature trigger and in turn the AC will re-start powered from the Gen.

There are several kits available.

Here's the Onan one.

Onan Auto Start
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
RJL wrote:
I'm looking for a good wireless blue tooth thermometer to monitor the interior of the motorhome for our dog while we're out during the day.

I use a Ruuvi sensor.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Waggle has good reviews. Waggle
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Give this a look. Worked well monitoring the temps in our 3-season room while we were snowbirding.

Temp Stick

But leaving your pet alone is a roll of the dice. Temps in the RV can climb rapidly in the event of a power failure.

Good travels.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Bluetooth range is only about 30’. You will need a cellular thermometer to connect to your phone via a special app unless you have wifi in your RV. You have to subscribe to their service. They are available but I have no experience with them.