cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight stations in New Mexico and RVs

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
We normally make a couple of trips to New Mexico each summer. Last summer as I past a port of entry weigh station, I noticed (too late) that the sign listing who need to stop also included Towed Recreational Vehicles, which I assume meant trailers and motorhomes pulling a towed vehicle.

I have searched the New Mexico governmental sites and can find no information about this and have no familiarity with other states having this requirement.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Is it really a requirement for all of us or does it mean new RVs being transited to dealers?
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring
9 REPLIES 9

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks to all. Old-Biscuit that is good link you provided and I just copied and printed it out to carry in my glove box in case it ever became a problem.

As we Okies would say "Preciate Chall".

Paul
PSW

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
PSW wrote:
I was thinking in my original post of a situation last fall. The inspection/weigh station was hundreds of miles from the international border and was not an ICE operation but rather a port of entry weigh station. The sign was not temporary but permanent and it was a large, permanent weigh station. Thus, my confusion. So, not an ag station, not an ICE inspection, a full regularly manned station operated by the State of New Mexico.

Maybe someone that lives in NM will see this and have some comments.

Your are not 'commercial'-----therefore not required to stop

RV Haulers...Commercial Business delivering RVs as with ANY/ALL Commercial Vehicles MUST stop

You are NOT 'Commercial'........drive on.

NW Port of Entry
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
It was most likely the Border Patrol.
You are required to stop for their check points.
No they will probably not chase you down.
These are different then state weigh stations. You do not have to stop at them, unless there is a sign saying RVs must stop. These are normally temporary signs. Only seen a couple over the years.

This is the correct answer. You have to stop. Most require every vehicle to stop. They are checking for undocumented aliens. If in a car they usually just wave you thru but they will randomly check RV's, etc. They can chase you down if you do not stop. They do carry guns.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking in my original post of a situation last fall. The inspection/weigh station was hundreds of miles from the international border and was not an ICE operation but rather a port of entry weigh station. The sign was not temporary but permanent and it was a large, permanent weigh station. Thus, my confusion. So, not an ag station, not an ICE inspection, a full regularly manned station operated by the State of New Mexico.

Maybe someone that lives in NM will see this and have some comments.
PSW

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless the hwy goes into the weigh station where ALL traffic must flow thru it (Border Inspections, Agricultural Inspections Etc.) then I do NOT enter.

7 yrs of FT travel and not once have I been chased down for bypassing those that are along side of roadway where traffic has to 'exit' to go into station.

I did go into one of those our first year and ALL of the Officers inside looked out like a tree full of owls and one yelled....Go on Git!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Unless your RV is sporting commercial plates, from any state, or commercial signs, logos, or side advertising, you do not need to stop at weigh stations in any state. Ag inspection stations in California are a stop, but these usually are all the way across the highway, so there's no bypassing them. We've run more than 200,000 miles in our RV's and have never stopped nor been questioned at weigh stations. In the west, you may see Border Patrol checkpoints at various points, and these require a stop too. Usually a question on how many people in the rig and your citizenship and you're on the way, but that's enough for their dog to give you a good sniff-over.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It was most likely the Border Patrol.
You are required to stop for their check points.
No they will probably not chase you down.
These are different then state weigh stations. You do not have to stop at them, unless there is a sign saying RVs must stop. These are normally temporary signs. Only seen a couple over the years.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
There is not enough information State by State for private towing, especially stopping for RV check points.

Most States do not have the money or manpower to inspect every RV going by, and barely can keep up with commercial traffic in my State. Any given check point is typically open only a handful of times per MONTH, if that. And when they are open, the line is backed up onto the Interstate causing a major issue. I also see more driving by, than I do stopping.

I would not stop.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't stop unless ordered to by ICE or somebody else with guns. I drove by several of these checkpoints in Arizona and New Mexico while towing my RV, no soldiers chased me down.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed