cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Twin Bed width in Roadtrek 190 Popular

rvnetter
Explorer
Explorer
What is the width of the twin beds when set up this way for sleeping? Also, how much distance is there between the beds? Have you found the width provides adequate comfort for an average built adult?

Thanks
Happy Trails to You!

The Tin Tent
2006 R-Vision Trail Lite
11 REPLIES 11

SEWRIGHT33
Explorer
Explorer
I am alone and the bed us 51 X 72
I purchased a wood 2 shelf unit that is 11 high and fits against one side so I can use the wider bed for myself and still have room in between for my fur babies and a side to sit but with pillows as the mattress back part is just too uncomfortable
My other roadtrek was the 19 roomier

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
We (and the dog) prefer the twin bed setup so one can get up and not disturb the other. The bonus is the factory night stand between the beds which is a great place to store all kinds of stuff! Also appreciate the easier access to the cabinets under the bed and the slide through to the rear deck. We leave the heavy and awkward bed kit along with the very heavy big table at home along with all the bolsters.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose that you could keep the Roadtrek cushion, but understand that most folks find them too hard to sleep on - made for sitting on, not sleeping. So most add memory foam topper. Some folks find regular memory foam too hot. Today there are memory foam that is not hot.

One way to use the existing cushion would be to add some foam next to the side of the van to fill the new space, not recommended by me.

I wrote above: "Then I ordered from amazon 3 specific foam toppers. I love my bed. I ended up replacing one of the toppers for another resulting in the exact firm/softness that I wanted. I love my bed."

Well, now thinking about it again, the first layer was form but not memory foam. Then more memory foam with each of the layers having a different density/firmness. I cut all the twin toppers to fit. An electric knife works well, but a large sharp knife will work as it is out of site under the mattress protector and/or sheets.

IF you decide on this solution, I'll try to determine exactly what I purchased as it was about 4 years ago.

Have fun shopping.

Bud

rvnetter
Explorer
Explorer
For those that have widened either or both of the twins, what did you do for the mattress or cushion?
Did you keep the existing roadtrek cushion and just add to it, or did you replace the roadtrek cushion with a custom made mattress?
Happy Trails to You!

The Tin Tent
2006 R-Vision Trail Lite

Sebtown
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer the convenience of the twin bed setup because it allows more floor space. I added a 4" piece of foam to the ottoman on each side and it is just enough to make it not feel like sleeping on a cot. There is still plenty of room to stand, so much so that I am thinking of making my side a couple of inches wider!

Explorer
Explorer
It is more the length on one of the 190's twin beds than the width if one is tall - taller than 6'. The way the cabinets are arranged one twin side is longer than the other by several inches. I am under 6' and have not had any problem or discomfort in our 190's twin on either side but I can see how it would be a problem for someone taller. The width is comparable to a cot. No where near a real twin.

In the 190 you can sleep in the King bed setup back to front and don't have to sleep side to side. if you make up the bed with two sets of twin sheets and the top sheet opens down the middle of width of the bed, you don't crawl over your partner to get out of bed. Just go down the middle and off the end. Neither of us have woken the other doing this. If you don't use sheets and use a sleeping sack, you can do the same thing.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
rvnetter wrote:
We like the idea of twin beds, so that if we need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, we don't have to crawl over our spouse to get there. I can see the reason for widening the twins, but if you do, is there still enough space in between to navigate to the toilet?

Yes, as I wrote some couples widen Both beds.

I would widen each bed depending on each persons size/need. You need very little room to enter and depart the area for the toilet or whatever.

Bud

rvnetter
Explorer
Explorer
We like the idea of twin beds, so that if we need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, we don't have to crawl over our spouse to get there. I can see the reason for widening the twins, but if you do, is there still enough space in between to navigate to the toilet?
Happy Trails to You!

The Tin Tent
2006 R-Vision Trail Lite

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I found the 190 Versatile ('01/'02 C190V) beds to be a bit too narrow. I could sleep on them once I got to sleep, but couldn't turn over unless I was darn careful. I was planning to widen one when I found the Tiger. Otherwise, it's a fine B. I'm 6', 200 lbs.

Jim, "My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hi rvnetter,

I've owned a twin bed 190P for seven years.

Alone I use it as a twin bet. Ellen and I together use it as one big bed.

I,m 5'11" and ordinary otherwise. I finally got enough of the Two Narrow bed. Remember that where your head will be is less than 27 inches. I read where others have complained. Some couples will widen not one of the beds, but both because they don't want one big bed.

The room in the middle is pretty much unimportant. You stand up to use the overhead storage is about all. On your knees with one big bed. It was simple for me to create any size I wanted. I chose 33 inches and kept the nightstand. I simply went to home depot and had them cut a plywood piece the exact size. At home I cut off one corner where the end of the van is. Now that I'm thinking about it, I did cut a very small piece on the opposite corner, just don't recall why.

Then I ordered from amazon 3 specific foam toppers. I love my bed. I ended up replacing one of the toppers for another resulting in the exact firm/softness that I wanted. I love my bed.

There is a night and day difference in 27 and 33 inches. If I had it to do all over, I would choose the same size and everything else.

Hope this helps.

Bud

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
The 210 shows that the twins in the 210 are a wider 30 inches when compared to the 190. So your looking at around 28 inches.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours