cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide Help

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2007 Damon Daybreak. Living room slide goes out perfect but when coming back in it really does not want too. Super slow!! This slide is a rack and pinon slide. When it closes its flush and sealed fine. I have 2 brand new batteries, I have checked for jams on the underside and its all clear. Also I'm level and jacks are down. I lube the slide at least once a month on the gears and teeth. Only thing I have not lubed and will try is the actual side bar that goes under camper on both sides I was only doing the teeth and gears and rollers. What do you think motor going bad?? Also temp is 35 degrees in northeast right now so not sure if that hurts the motor but when we were just in Florida it was slow as well. Thanks!!!
2007 Damon Daybreak 35.4ft Class A
2001 Georgie Boy 31ft Class C
2003 Coachman Auroa Gold Class A
1995 Coachman Santara Class C
2000 Coachman Pop-up
1988 Dodge Ram Conversion Van
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it goes out fine, then most everything is good. But there is a possiblity the controller has a weak relay on it Very basic description way simplified

imagine two SPDT relays with the motor hooked to the moving contact one lead to eah relay

The Normally closed relay contact is ground, so as it sits there both sides of the motor are grounded and there is no operation (Normal)

Push the IN or OUT button and one or the other relay pulls in , the Normall OPEN contact is battery _+ so now the motor moves, which direction depends on which relay. If the "IN" relay has a dirty contact. Well it's going to be slow.

That said NOTE this is way simnplified, not sure they are relays, but I'd think the 10 amps that motor draws running (over 30 starting) would burn out a dirty contact in like nothing flat.

I would lubricate. And see what happens..

Also inspect the slide.. Go out and sit under it, Look toward the OUTSIDE wall (from underneath) You will see a metal L bracket with a line of screws ... Are they all nice and snug? (Guess what my problem was). Look for anything else that does not look right.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Dennis12 wrote:
I don't know how your slide works but my dealer told me to hold the rocker switch down until i hear the motors stop after it is all the way in or out. that is going both ways, in and out. It keeps the motors in sink.

That's for Schwintek.
Not a good idea for rack and pinion.

MrWizard
are slides electric motor
or hydraulic driven

IF hydraulic i would suspect 'solenoid valve' problem, not getting full flow on the retract cycle
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how your slide works but my dealer told me to hold the rocker switch down until i hear the motors stop after it is all the way in or out. that is going both ways, in and out. It keeps the motors in sink.
Dennis Hoppert

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Lubricate the R&P!
It could also be that your s/o switch is developing high resistance.

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Cant out slide out or in with engine running maybe i'll try generator....
2000 Coachman Pop-up

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the coach plugged in or run the engine so that the batteries are above the 12.x volts that you would see with them resting. With the batteries at the 13+ voltage, the slide motor will run better. With no help on the charging side, your batteries will sag below 12 volts when the slide motor runs

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It may help to use the levelers to tilt the coach so that the slide is retracting down hill, rather than level or uphill.

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Ok ill take a look today..thanks
2000 Coachman Pop-up

homerbw
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking the wiring connection to the motor could warrant a look.
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36B, F53, 275hp Triton V10