cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost of living in the road

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm kind of wondering if there is a direct correlation between the value of a person's rig and the cost of living. I'm wondering if it could be something as simple as 35%.

So those whose rig is worth $300,000 might have about a 105,000 lifestyle where as it might cost $210k per year to live for those who are living in a $600,000 rig. If your unit is worth $100 k can you live on $35 k? I think it is of some value to have an idea otherwise I might think I can afford say a 500,000 unit and after purchasing it come to realize I can't really afford the $165000 per year it cost to live the lifestyle that goes with it. What are your thoughts?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
36 REPLIES 36

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
DallasSteve wrote:
This thread doesn't give me a headache. It's a very interesting subject to me since I'm planning to (semi)retire and start full-timing in 6 months. I want to compare my budget to what people are actually experiencing. At $25K to $35K per year, I'm in good shape. If it's more than that I will need to generate some more income on the road which I may be able to do with some part-time remote programming jobs. As for putting 20% of my life savings into a rig, I might put 30% or 40% into a new motorhome or 15% to 25% in a used one. Depreciation is high, but it's not 100% in the first year. If you get out in a few years, you can recover a lot of the cost. If you stay in it (full time) you are offsetting the cost with housing costs that you don't pay.

There are always deals to find on slightly used RVs. Personally I would find it extremely hard to sell our house and use the proceeds to buy an RV or cover day to day living expenses..... I would need to know that when we are done with RVing we would have money available to buy a new house which could cost double what we sell the old one for 10 years earlier.
B&W Companion

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
This thread doesn't give me a headache. It's a very interesting subject to me since I'm planning to (semi)retire and start full-timing in 6 months. I want to compare my budget to what people are actually experiencing. At $25K to $35K per year, I'm in good shape. If it's more than that I will need to generate some more income on the road which I may be able to do with some part-time remote programming jobs. As for putting 20% of my life savings into a rig, I might put 30% or 40% into a new motorhome or 15% to 25% in a used one. Depreciation is high, but it's not 100% in the first year. If you get out in a few years, you can recover a lot of the cost. If you stay in it (full time) you are offsetting the cost with housing costs that you don't pay.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
In our case our expenses will vary from year to year. We just retired last year and went full-time. We treated that first year like we were on vacation for a year. If there was something we wanted to do we did it. This year we are heading to Alaska and plan on taking part in many attractions. We expect it to be pricey, but we had planned on that. After that we still plan on traveling, but will sitting a little more and have a very nice place that has offered the camp host job to us for a 3 month stretch each year. So not only will we not have camp dues, but we might make a buck or two. So, you see, the variables are infinite even with the same campers.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just picked the 165000 out of the air. I thought it seamed like a reasonable retirement income for someone buying a $600,000 coach. I just punched that value into a savings withdrawal calculator and it turns out that based on a 3% return I would need 3000000 dollars in savings after buying my coach to be able to withdraw 165000 annually for 25 years.

I think most people with 3 1/2 million dollars in savings would have a hard time blowing 20% of their life"s savings on a rapidly depreciating asset such as an RV. And on the other hand I'm left wondering how many people driving $600,000 motorhomes actually have the RV paid for and 3 million in their savings account.

In the end I have come to realize that the posters here are right ... there is no rule; people just do what they feel like with their money and I guess it all works out somehow.
B&W Companion

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have an extra $165,000/year to spend in retirement then God bless you! You have worked very hard to get where you are. Spending that kind of money in retirement would quickly bankrupt most retirees.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
This thread gave me a headache.

It's not math, it's personal choice. Do you want to spend a ton of money living the half million dollar MH dream, or do you want to just enjoy life?

Keep up with the Jones's or just be happy?

It all depends on how you want to travel/live. Do what makes you happy, not what you think others will think.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Did you really mean you expect to have to spend $165,000/year to live in your RV? NO. $452/day would not be normal. You would really need to work really hard at it!

I actually have no idea what people spend in retirement. I had one old fellow that I know quite well tell me that it is pretty easy to go through 200k a year.

Many full-timers do it on $30-$35,000/year.... some less, some more. But $165,000? I really doubt it.

Full-timing is a lifestyle not a constant vacation. There are many, many awesome things to do that don't cost anything and likewise, many gorgeous boondocking spots that don't cost anything. In addition, the size and cost of a RV has nothing to do with it. If you go to the big gathering in January at Quartzsite, AZ you'll see mega-buck RVs parked in the desert. I don't think folks change their habits of spending when they full-time. If they've been frugal for 30-40 years that's instilled in them.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
My COLA is different for Va-Oklahoma-VA in 2 weeks time versus a La Tx Ok trip or Fl. from Va. I figure CPM is a standard .50, CG cost per week and then food is the same for us as we buy at Costco or on Military bases. Oil changes are about the same at any AmBest Truckstop. I wash it at Blue Beacon avg $50/wash. If I have it detailed 1 X a year that's about $300. Last year we went 13,000 miles and average Cost was $1.00/mi. I missed Insurance too. We have everything paid for and we have a Bass Boat so fishing costs money. We probably go through $100000 for everything but still own 10 head of cows, turkeys and chickens.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Maybe this is not really the question you meant to ask as the answer is really quite simple.

I'm kind of wondering if there is a direct correlation between the value of a person's rig and the cost of living. I'm wondering if it could be something as simple as 35%.

NO

So those whose rig is worth $300,000 might have about a 105,000 lifestyle where as it might cost $210k per year to live for those who are living in a $600,000 rig.

NO

If your unit is worth $100 k can you live on $35 k?

YES, but this has nothing to do with the cost of the RV $100k or $300k.

I think it is of some value to have an idea otherwise I might think I can afford say a 500,000 unit and after purchasing it come to realize I can't really afford the $165000 per year it cost to live the lifestyle that goes with it.

Did you really mean you expect to have to spend $165,000/year to live in your RV? NO. $452/day would not be normal. You would really need to work really hard at it!

What are your thoughts?

NO, the cost of living is not based upon the cost of the RV but rather the personal wants and desires of the person making the purchase. Some folks might want to buy an expensive RV so they could show off their wealth to everyone including every stranger in every RV park. If that's you then you are also going to need to stay in the best RV parks to maintain your perception of status. The problem with this is that when you pull into that best of the best RV park you will find a whole lot of folks with a whole lot more RV and a whole lot more money than you which will quickly force you to figure out your place and find that happy medium that works for you.

I think your basic premise is all wrong.
I can have a 500K mortohome and live a $165K lifestyle or I can Have a 100K motorhome and still live a 165K lifestyle.
Or I can have a 500K RV and live a 100K lifestyle.
Your RV is not a reflection of your lifestyle budget.
Some of us own our rigs out right some are far from paid off.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:

I actually have no idea what people spend in retirement. I had one old fellow that I know quite well tell me that it is pretty easy to go through 200k a year. This fellow is a pretty frugal spender but he is also very busy and extremely generous. I'm thinking my spending habits are likely going to increase dramatically if I'm no longer spending my time working...... doesn't it cost money to do stuff every day?
B&W Companion

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe this is not really the question you meant to ask as the answer is really quite simple.

NO

So those whose rig is worth $300,000 might have about a 105,000 lifestyle where as it might cost $210k per year to live for those who are living in a $600,000 rig.

NO

If your unit is worth $100 k can you live on $35 k?

YES, but this has nothing to do with the cost of the RV $100k or $300k.

I think it is of some value to have an idea otherwise I might think I can afford say a 500,000 unit and after purchasing it come to realize I can't really afford the $165000 per year it cost to live the lifestyle that goes with it.

What are your thoughts?

NO, the cost of living is not based upon the cost of the RV but rather the personal wants and desires of the person making the purchase. Some folks might want to buy an expensive RV so they could show off their wealth to everyone including every stranger in every RV park. If that's you then you are also going to need to stay in the best RV parks to maintain your perception of status. The problem with this is that when you pull into that best of the best RV park you will find a whole lot of folks with a whole lot more RV and a whole lot more money than you which will quickly force you to figure out your place and find that happy medium that works for you.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
NCC-1701 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I'm finding the responses quite intetesting.Do those of you who responded think the same way regarding a house. For instance if you drive by a 3 million dollar home do you not assume the occupants of that house are living quite a different lifestyle than the occupants of the $300,000 house 2 miles down the road?

The question you are stating above is not the same as the examples you gave at the start, which were:

If your unit is worth $100 k can you live on $35 k? I think it is of some value to have an idea otherwise I might think I can afford say a 500,000 unit and after purchasing it come to realize I can't really afford the $165000 per year it cost to live the lifestyle that goes with it. What are your thoughts?

The original question asked if you went and bought a $500K RV would you then HAVE to have $165K income to live the lifestyle.

That is why nearly everyone is saying that the cost of the RV does not HAVE to drive the lifestyle. We are not saying that many people with expensive RV's don't CHOOSE to live a "high" lifestyle" that is costly. So you COULD buy a $500,000 RV and still live a very frugal lifestyle. Having that RV doesn't MAKE you go to expensive RV resorts. YOU can decide to go there and spend a bunch or boondock on BLM land or use forest-service campgrounds, etc.

Make sense?

I see what you're saying. I guess I should have stated my original question a little different. I realize a person could sell their home and use nearly every penny they have to buy a $600,000 RV and then struggle along to live on their old age security check...... I think we would all agree that wouldn't be wise. I think it makes sense to have your net worth, your life style and your possessions in some kind of balance. I'm trying to get that balance figured out along with a vision for our future.
B&W Companion

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I'm finding the responses quite intetesting.Do those of you who responded think the same way regarding a house. For instance if you drive by a 3 million dollar home do you not assume the occupants of that house are living quite a different lifestyle than the occupants of the $300,000 house 2 miles down the road?

The question you are stating above is not the same as the examples you gave at the start, which were:

If your unit is worth $100 k can you live on $35 k? I think it is of some value to have an idea otherwise I might think I can afford say a 500,000 unit and after purchasing it come to realize I can't really afford the $165000 per year it cost to live the lifestyle that goes with it. What are your thoughts?

The original question asked if you went and bought a $500K RV would you then HAVE to have $165K income to live the lifestyle.

That is why nearly everyone is saying that the cost of the RV does not HAVE to drive the lifestyle. We are not saying that many people with expensive RV's don't CHOOSE to live a "high" lifestyle" that is costly. So you COULD buy a $500,000 RV and still live a very frugal lifestyle. Having that RV doesn't MAKE you go to expensive RV resorts. YOU can decide to go there and spend a bunch or boondock on BLM land or use forest-service campgrounds, etc.

Make sense?
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
SpeakEasy wrote:
This whole discussion is very interesting from an educator's point of view. I have taught a number of research courses in which we discuss "correlation." The common use of that term, and what many here are using it to mean, implies a cause-effect relationship. Correlation is NOT necessarily a cause-effect relationship. We can find many things that are correlated in which one of the two things does not cause the other. In cases like this there is often a third thing that causes both of the other two things. In this case a frugal mindset might cause a person to seek an inexpensive RV AND a lower cost of living. The cheaper RV doesn't CAUSE the lower cost of living. The frugal mindset causes both.

It's a good object lesson in this important concept.

Tons of research that you read about in the media is research that has found a correlation between two things. Almost always people misinterpret this as a finding that one of those things causes the other. Very little of the research you read about in the media has actually examined to see if there is a cause-effect relationship. That's much harder research to conduct.

-Speak

I know, personally, a very frugal couple who think twice about ordering a cup of coffee with their breakfast. The frugal mindset that they have came about as a result of living through tough times. Saving every penny to make their land payments so that they could survive. They live in a home that was built in about 1912 and they are worth around $6,000,000. I almost think for them to change their spending habits would require that they change who they are. I'm quite sure if they got into RVing, the RV they bought would reflect their lifestyle rather than their net worth.
B&W Companion