cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear Jolt on 2017 Ford E450 V10 with only 6,300 miles

VQ74
Explorer
Explorer
On my last trip I was at the stop light about 1/4 mile from home. I felt a slight jolt from the rear of the motorhome. I had thought someone had hit me from behind as cars were trying to pass around me. Stopped and checked for any damage but none. As I drove about an hour I was stopped at a left hand turn lane I felt the jolt again but a little stronger this time. On the drive home about an hour trip there was no jolts. What could of caused the jolts from the rear of the class c motorhome.
44 REPLIES 44

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thinking about it more, it’s likely a late shift back into 1st gear after stopped. I had a truck in the last that did this randomly and you could feel it or course. Don’t remember if it was a Ford but likely was as I had at least a dozen of them during the Triton engine era.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
VA-Apraisr wrote:
Unique question from OP, so we're all just trying to offer suggestions. The post did mention "jolt from the rear". You suggested torque converter which is in the front. Nothing wrong with sharing unique problems and solutions that may in fact assist the OP. He could have a loose shackle/shock that just happens to relocate after applying brakes to full stop (another suggestion).

True, but I identified the TC as a highly potential source of this mysterious “bump” since the other suggestions can’t really do that if it’s sitting at rest (presumably in gear).
And if the TC were to lock/unlock or potentially some other component of the transmission, like the valve body and a late shift back to 1st gear after the vehicle is stopped, the first point of resistance, causing the thump that is felt would be at the rear diff because the brakes are keeping it from spinning.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 07 Toyota Tacoma with 67K miles on it bumps forward after sitting at a complete stop for 10 to 15 seconds. It resembles the bump you would feel if it was in neutral then with your foot on the brake you put it in drive. Haven't found an answer to that one. It doesn't have a dip stick to check the trans fluid, weird. A friend of mine who ran a trans repair business for 35 yrs once told me that torque converters can do weird things. My 06 GMC Duramax, once it sits for over a week in the garage, when you first start it will not move once you put it in gear, it takes a few seconds. My tranny guy said drive it more often. 110K miles presently.

VQ74
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your suggestions.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unique question from OP, so we're all just trying to offer suggestions. The post did mention "jolt from the rear". You suggested torque converter which is in the front. Nothing wrong with sharing unique problems and solutions that may in fact assist the OP. He could have a loose shackle/shock that just happens to relocate after applying brakes to full stop (another suggestion).

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reading comprehension is thin in this thread apparently. As the OP very clearly stated that both times it was after he stopped completely…..I’m sure the rest of your stories are cool like having your wheel lugs shear off. But how does that help the OP?

VQ74
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Need a little more information- did the jolts occur just as you stopped, or had you already been stopped for several seconds? Were they hard, gentle or normal stops? Could something heavy be loose in a compartment?

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had this happen once....had tires put on rear and they did NOT tighten the lug nuts fully. After 200 miles of driving, coming off a highway off-ramp I had that sudden "jolt" and pulled into a parking lot to find rear tire hanging at an angle! It had sheered off all 8-lug nuts. Things happen.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 wrote:
Bottom line is you/someone needs to crawl under and check the whole rear suspension. I would sure not drive it until verifying the issue and if serious, fix it now.

Even if not serious fix it now. Could be the center bolt in the spring broke. Look down the sides, is the rear axle tracking the same . Check lug nuts if you had recent tire servicing.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line is you/someone needs to crawl under and check the whole rear suspension. I would sure not drive it until verifying the issue and if serious, fix it now.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
stabelizer link loose or broke
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Need a little more information- did the jolts occur just as you stopped, or had you already been stopped for several seconds? Were they hard, gentle or normal stops? Could something heavy be loose in a compartment?
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
While stopped, sitting in gear, is not u joints or springs.
Keep driving it but sounds more like a trans/torque converter issue. But that would also be odd on a basically new vehicle.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also check the driveshaft u-joint.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Broken spring or shackle

Bud