cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new tires

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Need tires 225-75-R16 load E, what Toyos Mitchelin or others are you using? Got quote on Toyo Celcious Cargo and Open country and Mitchelin Cross Climate. Thx
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)
17 REPLIES 17

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jy wrote:
Gritdog,If you look at the weight of all LT tires in the 225/75r16 size they all have a weight rating around 2500 lbs.The Toyos are 3195 lb weight rating.

Thatโ€™s because the Toyos you are referencing are a different class of tire, a Commercial Tire.
They are designated with the letter C after the size but not to be confused with load range C.

But Toyo is not the only one that makes them. They are not unique to Toyo. You are just not comparing apples to apples by claiming Toyo is rated higher.
Tires load indexes are the same for a particular size and load class. Iโ€™m not actually aware of any differences. Yes you can get several different load ratings in the same size tire for many particular tire sizes. You could have a Pmetric/XL IE C load. Car tires, LT D and or E maybe F IE truck tires, and in a few sizes like the ones in question, there are commerical tires. Extra heavy duty for the euro style cargo vans like sprinters.
But youโ€™ll never find an apples to apples tire comparison with different load ratings between brand or model name of tire.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JaxDad wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Well Iโ€™m all about saving a buck. Any recommendations on what cheap offshore brands are actually good quality?
Not talking about brands like Kumho, Sailun and Hankook. I know those are good albeit moderately priced still.
I gotta buy my sister a set of tires here in short order. And they will be bottom of the barrel cost wise since it doesnโ€™t make sense to put high $ tires on a car that could be in a junkyard or impounded tomorrow.

In commercial tires I would highly recommend Double Coin. Double Coin also makes Warrior brand car and light truck tires in a joint venture with Michelin.

Other brands Iโ€™d say were a safe bet would be Aeolus who make very good passenger and LT tires and Doublestar a more than 100 year old tire company.

Thanks!

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^Well Iโ€™m all about saving a buck. Any recommendations on what cheap offshore brands are actually good quality?
Not talking about brands like Kumho, Sailun and Hankook. I know those are good albeit moderately priced still.
I gotta buy my sister a set of tires here in short order. And they will be bottom of the barrel cost wise since it doesnโ€™t make sense to put high $ tires on a car that could be in a junkyard or impounded tomorrow.

In commercial tires I would highly recommend Double Coin. Double Coin also makes Warrior brand car and light truck tires in a joint venture with Michelin.

Other brands Iโ€™d say were a safe bet would be Aeolus who make very good passenger and LT tires and Doublestar a more than 100 year old tire company.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
On my 30'+ Class C RVs I always put 225/75r16 COMMERCIAL (121) load rated tires. These each carry roughly 500lbs more than e-Load (115) rated tires. That's 2000lbs more weight buffer on the rear axle. I'm always surprised (disappointed) at how little weight buffer E-load rated tires have on the rear axle of a 30-31' Class C RV straight out of the manufacturers.

Note: You should never overload your axles. But all else being equal, I would rather have tires (Commercial 121 rated) that can carry 2000lbs extra. You never know when you might have a situation where they are slightly underinflated. Or you might have one get a leak and it takes some time to notice/etc (TPMS helps with this).

The last set I bought was from Big-O tires. I believe I paid ~$180/tire.

Good luck!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just found it. Toyo Celsius cargo tire.

Im confused reading these various weight ratings. Depending on what site youโ€™re viewing the load index varies.
Some list it as 115 which is the same as the others at 2680. Discount Tire rated it higher at 3000 and change.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
jy wrote:
Gritdog,If you look at the weight of all LT tires in the 225/75r16 size they all have a weight rating around 2500 lbs.The Toyos are 3195 lb weight rating.

Need your help with the rating. 3195.
I see 2680 on Toyo models 225 75 16Eโ€™s. Cant find higher ratings .

jy
Explorer
Explorer
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Find the best priced reasonably good tires (IE no bargain brand no name bottom of the barrel tires like you see on the first page of Amazon searches) and call it good.

The trucking and agriculture industry (two where true economy is paramount) have learned that some of those offshore tires are actually superior to the โ€˜big brandsโ€™ in both performance and durability.

Offshore tires also seem to have far better UV resistance because the high annual mileage of typical North American means theyโ€™re bald long before theyโ€™re aged out, the opposite is true of Asian countries. The tires *must* last longer before they wear out or people just donโ€™t buy them. A perfect setup for motorhomes that donโ€™t do a lot of miles per year.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
phillyg wrote:
I've been disappointed the few times I strayed from Michelin.

And Iโ€™ve been disappointed the couple times Iโ€™ve ended up with Michelins.
Not saying I wouldnโ€™t buy that brand again, as my experiences are older and with โ€œOE equipmentโ€ tires which are often of lesser quality somehowโ€ฆ but I have yet to see the. As a best value in anything Iโ€™ve purchased tires for. JMO

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jy wrote:
Bea Pa,I also am shopping for tires.I have a 2017 winnebago 31g on a e450 chassis.I like the Toyo celsius cargo because they have the highest weight rating in the 225/75r16 size.Do you mind if I ask what your quote was for 6 of them mounted and balanced.

Just to clarify, tire brand/model of tire has nothing to do with weight rating. Size/load ratings are largely if not wholly universal across all brands.
Of course there are other factors that define quality, but load rating by brand is not one of them.

Valpo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
My Class C came with the Michelins and they lasted WAY WAY longer than the recommendations said they should have, beyond 10 years and never had a blow out but I was not about to pay that price for them as a replacement. Went to Discount Tire and had an inexpensive set put on as we do less than 3,000 miles a year.

This past weekend I had to do a panic stop 60 to zero towing our Wrangler in the rain. They grabbed very well, no sliding, kept just off the edge of skidding and the rig and toad stayed straight. Brake Buddy was grabbing the Jeep brakes as well.

I think they are Mastercraft tires.
2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE 28 foot
2018 Wrangler JLU - pulling duty as a daily and toad
2012 Audi A7 - daily fun car

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been disappointed the few times I strayed from Michelin.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

jy
Explorer
Explorer
Bea Pa,I also am shopping for tires.I have a 2017 winnebago 31g on a e450 chassis.I like the Toyo celsius cargo because they have the highest weight rating in the 225/75r16 size.Do you mind if I ask what your quote was for 6 of them mounted and balanced.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.