cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opposing Slides Lock Bars

RamonaJ
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Holiday Rambler 40' with large opposing slides in living area and kitchen. It is equipped with lock bars in the front area. Are they necessary? When secured tightly they are causing the decorative frame and seals to start separating from the wood veneer. When we tried to loosen tension one of them fell and almost hit me in the head. Our mechanic says they are not necessary and slide rooms will not deploy when traveling. Need some advice from folks that have similar MH configuration.
11 REPLIES 11

pappaone
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever have a slide come out when going down the highway at 60 + MPH you will start using the locks. One morning as we were breaking camp and the wife was putting in the bedroom slide she said it made a weird noise, not hearing it, I really didn't think much of it. Later we were headed East on I-80 and I passed a semi as I was looking to go back into my lane all I saw was white.. The noise she had heard when the slide went in was the shear pin shearing off which let the slide move out since I didn't have slide locks at that time. I sure do now and use them all the time. Just remember to remove them before opening the slides.

Rich
Rich & Jennie(mate of 59 yrs 6/6/59)
2017 Minnie Winnie 27Q
1 Grey Persian cat
1 German Shepard/Blue healer pup

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You can drive without them, but for me, it helped to keep the noise down. On our previous coach, it used one slide lock bar directly behind the driver's seat. If I didn't use it, I could hear the large slide moving around.

On the switch to the large slide that used the lock, I painted a red dot on the switch to remind me to remove the lock and move the seat forward.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, I would hate to have a "senior moment" with the bars in place:S
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

RamonaJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your advise. I think we will use the lock bars. Perhaps my husband has been extending them too far against the slide-out frame.

RamonaJ
Explorer
Explorer
RuralAlbertan wrote:
You should have the bar up there, it's a safety feature. While under normal circumstances the slide will never move it's always good to protect your investment and the people around you on the highway. You should only be extending the bars until it's snug above the slide, then an extra 1/4 turn. If it's damaging anything it's too extended.

Do not forget to remove the bar before you extend the slide! You will wreck the fascia or the wall.

I'm an RV mechanic, I'll tell you right now that fixing a fascia is easy, we had a guy who's slide did end up slightly popping out in travel though. That was in no way an easy fix, we had to replace the entire slide room out of pocket for him.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Monaco coach the slide locks can be placed so that they press against the aluminum frame on the slide rather than the wood trim. The locks help to keep the top of the slide tight and help to stop slide rattling and noise. The mechanism is at the bottom of the slide so without the locks, the slide top can move slightly while going down the road.

TempatureContro
Explorer
Explorer
06 Monaco Knight,purchased new.
Never used the locks in 50K miles so far. I was told when we did the PDI you do not need to install unless you have a mecanism failyre.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
This question comes up often. IF YOU HAVE SLIDE LOCKS, THE OEM DETERMINED THEY WERE NECESSARY. Slide locks, depending on the type slide room and mechanism are required. Some pull in the top flange to get a positive weather tight seal(Newmar is one as a LOT of others). Some pull in to keep the room from vibrating and moving(not extend but wiggling) in transit. Regardless, the OEM's would NOT build/pay and install locks if they were not needed. They are rarely used to stop extension in transit. Not all slide rooms require locks, but if you have a unit that has them, then use them. Doug

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 slides one is over 23 feet long and has automatic slide locks but the other is about 7 feet and never had any type of slide lock or bar. Haven't had a problem in over 24,000 miles and the last 4000 were on some pretty bad roads.

On my old Newmar, the slide was 10 feet and never used them because they were hard to lock down. No problems with that slide either. Both have PowerGear systems.

I would probably have used them more if it was a Lippert system.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

RuralAlbertan
Explorer
Explorer
You should have the bar up there, it's a safety feature. While under normal circumstances the slide will never move it's always good to protect your investment and the people around you on the highway. You should only be extending the bars until it's snug above the slide, then an extra 1/4 turn. If it's damaging anything it's too extended.

Do not forget to remove the bar before you extend the slide! You will wreck the fascia or the wall.

I'm an RV mechanic, I'll tell you right now that fixing a fascia is easy, we had a guy who's slide did end up slightly popping out in travel though. That was in no way an easy fix, we had to replace the entire slide room out of pocket for him.

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
We have slides and we use the bar. It is not necessary to over tighten the bar to make it effective, but the fact that it is in place. If your bars unwind then you might try to tighten the screw and nut assembly somehow.
2006 34' Monaco Cayman