cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older diesel vs. New Gas

revickers
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we thought we would have bought our Class A by now, but we are still looking. Our goal is to work a month on and then travel a month in our Class A. But we are still trying to figure out what to buy. Should we go with a 2000 Diesel or go with a 2005 Gas. We are looking to spend 30k or less. What are your experiences? Any thoughts?
49 REPLIES 49

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Way to old for me, but like you say, to each their own.

Why do you believe this coach is way to old ? Just curious ?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ADUS
Explorer
Explorer
In business the rule is location, location, location.
In vehicles including and especially motor homes it is condition, condition, condition. Drive-train and house.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Mile High wrote:
bacil wrote:
Don't want to hijack this thread but i would have made one with exactly the same subject 🙂

would any of you chose New gaser in 100k range or used DP ?
DP. As long as you don't have to go back so far you are getting into dated equipment and interior. $100K will put you in a nice older DP.

Less than that will put you in a quality high end coach.

NICE coach
Way to old for me, but like you say, to each their own.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Go to NRVIA.org and search for an inspector in the area.

If it's the same one on RVTrader (Ft Myers), it looks good on the surface. No real big issues with a workhorse chassis event though they don't make them anymore. Parts are available.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Revickers, the RV is 15 yrs. old. There are so many things to inspect and it will certainly need something. I'm just wondering what the description said about tire age, maintenance, etc.

I've never bought anything on Ebay and don't know the rules on backing out. I will be watching this thread to see the outcome.

I wish you and your wife the best of luck. If the RV is in good shape overall, you dodged a huge bullet.

My brother bought a new 2005 Damon Astoria (diesel) and had very good luck with it (kept if for 9 yrs.)

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations....I think.
You can still back out of eBay deal if you like. I would not worry about my eBay rating.
Not sure if this unit is on a workhorse chassis but if so make sure the brake issue has been taken care of.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

revickers
Explorer
Explorer
First, thank you so very much for all the posts. Have you ever had children that ask for advice and then do the opposite? So we have been looking for RV's for a couple of years. I was making a list of strategies from the list. Then last night as we were looking at some RVs. Denise just put a price on an eBay listing and bought one. It went against everything that we had planned. Now I have an excellent rating on eBay and have always been a man of my word, but I really don't want to buy an RV sight unseen. So I am trying to find an inspector in Tampa area. We bought a 2003 Damon Challenger with 79k for 13k. I think part of it was that she was tired of looking. But it probably was the worse choice possible (I won't tell her that). Anyone know a good inspector in Tampa? Thanks again.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are talking about a 1970's vintage a big slow turning heavy mechanical diesel will outlive a carborated gas engine with less ongoing maintenance.

With modern engines, there is very little difference in engine lifespan and gas engines require very little ongoing maintenance. You might be looking at an oil change per year (at less than half the cost of the diesel oil change) plugs at 100-150k (honestly haven't changed plugs or wires in a gas engine in years. Probably should but just not an issue). With modern electronically controlled diesels, they are at least as complicated if not more so.

As long as the gas engine is properly sized for the load, no reason not to expect 200-250k miles of reliable use. By the time, you hit that point the house is likely 20-30 years old and has reached the end of it's life.

If you do have to do major work or replace the engine, the gas is going to be drastically cheaper. You may want to shop around for a non-RV shop but with a big diesel, you are limited to RV or truck repair places.

So if both drivetrains appear to be in good shape, I would choose based on the overall condition for similar rigs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bacil
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
How big of an RV do you want to purchase? If you are looking at something 38 feet or over, I would go with the diesel. I would look for a high end model from a good manufacturer, gas or diesel. I would look for one from a private owner that has the maintenance records and has had pride of ownership.

As we are planning to fulltime travel with it, we would like something in 30' range so we can get to NP, NFS camps etc., i would like to toad Cherokee or some such car for offroading. We don't mind smaller as we are boaters and been living on sailing yachts for a while so space-vise any RV is bigger 🙂

Currently i am leaning towards 5er with 1ton 4x4, but as it was mentioned to me in another thread MH can suit our needs little better hence the question.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure that if every one like the same type/style coach. there would only be one manufacturer.
Remember "to each there own" was never more appropriate in any thread.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
bobkatmsu wrote:
Ductape wrote:
In that price range, be careful and have financial contingency plans for repair costs. Diesel repairs are (more) expensive.

It really all hinges in condition more than what type of engine. Better a quality gas coach than a bargain brand diesel.
Totally agree. If you are looking a units of that age it appears that you have a limited budget for this project. Repair bills on a DP are going to be significantly higher that the gasser and at this age you are going to have repair bills. As far as performance of ride, towing capacity, weight you can carry, all favor the DP. However the cost may be the deciding factor. The purchase price is only part of the actual cost of having a motor home. We owned a gasser for years and loved every moment of owning it. We are going full-time now and this is going to be our home, so at this point I can justify a DP. Although the cost of repairs is still a concern.

The diesel will have fewer age related problems than the gas, and the repair costs will be the same. Shop labor makes no difference. The gas will have ignition, fuel injection, and electrical problems more often than the diesel.

There's a person on IRV2 spent $25k repairing the diesel in 20 year old coach.

I'm certain that you can always find some one who bough a lemon, but remember 2% of the people make 100% of the news. how many have you tried to find that bought old diesels and never spent much money keeping them going.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
bacil wrote:
Don't want to hijack this thread but i would have made one with exactly the same subject 🙂

would any of you chose New gaser in 100k range or used DP ?
DP. As long as you don't have to go back so far you are getting into dated equipment and interior. $100K will put you in a nice older DP.

Less than that will put you in a quality high end coach.

NICE coach

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Tom/Barb,

I had a 1987 FRED class C. 6.9 liter engine. Parts were not available in 2009. There were two places to go for service in a city of 225,000 souls. I had to pay $140 to $190 for an oil change. Granted 1987 is not 2000, but it is still 18 years, and at 18 years I was starting to have parts issues.

My V-10 is a lot less expensive to keep running. I would not go back to Diesel for love nor money. I've replaced one mass air flow sensor in over 100000 miles.

I can do a LOT of maintenance for 10 grand.

That old 6.9 was the ford conversion of the International 440 industrial engine. There was one of them in almost every combine out there.
I don't understand why you'd have problems getting parts for one.

but there is always one exception.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the gas is an F53 Ford, the drivetrain combination will be the 362 hp V10 coupled to the 5 speed Torqshift trans. This is a dynamite combo and would be my choice.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
bobkatmsu wrote:
Ductape wrote:
In that price range, be careful and have financial contingency plans for repair costs. Diesel repairs are (more) expensive.

It really all hinges in condition more than what type of engine. Better a quality gas coach than a bargain brand diesel.
Totally agree. If you are looking a units of that age it appears that you have a limited budget for this project. Repair bills on a DP are going to be significantly higher that the gasser and at this age you are going to have repair bills. As far as performance of ride, towing capacity, weight you can carry, all favor the DP. However the cost may be the deciding factor. The purchase price is only part of the actual cost of having a motor home. We owned a gasser for years and loved every moment of owning it. We are going full-time now and this is going to be our home, so at this point I can justify a DP. Although the cost of repairs is still a concern.

The diesel will have fewer age related problems than the gas, and the repair costs will be the same. Shop labor makes no difference. The gas will have ignition, fuel injection, and electrical problems more often than the diesel.

There's a person on IRV2 spent $25k repairing the diesel in 20 year old coach.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...