cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More questions on inverter and battery charging

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted on this subject recently so pardon for more. Here is more info. My inverter will not turn on without power. When i turn generator on the red light on inverter is on to fault with dead battery and when i scroll it also says low battery. No power is allowed to outlets connected to inverter. I have run generator for several hours but the fault remains. This is 2016 winnebago adventurer 38q so the batteries arenโ€™t very old. I turn off power switches when not using in storage. Any ideas. In all my motorhomes never faced this. I have one solar panel and chassis battery is strong. Any additional thoughts/ thanks for all your help.
14 REPLIES 14

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes 9.7 is low. Possible a bad cell in battery.. Charge with external charger and see if that helps.. Charge to 14 volts if you can

Or .. Well I have a big, and I mean BIG Deltran Battery Tender

3 modes
1-2 amps (Battery tender mode) auto switch between absorption and float

20 amp BOOST this takes it to 14.1 volts then shuts down. Has to be manually initated

70 amp Jump start.

Wi-Fi connect to Android (I think IOS and computers)

Worked for me when my converter failed last week. (took 24 hours to hit 14.1 but it did the trick) that was Sunday. Tuesday I got a new converter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Three weeks ago i had the coach winterized at camping world. I posted as ihad a check valve problem in the water heater. I also had the generator serviced while i was there. I guess for some reason they turned off the switch and failed to turn it back on.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Turning that switch OFF should be a part of proper "winterizing"; indeed, it should be done anytime the unit will be unused for more than 24 hours probably.

I'm no big fan of CW either but I don't think they deserve the blame in this case.

AND......none of that has any bearing on why your battery voltage is so low. THAT might be a real problem that needs attention.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Well the winner is no connection. Not bad, none. There is a switch between the batteries and the inverter and it was turned off. Not possible by accident so intentional. Three weeks ago i had the coach winterized at camping world. I posted as ihad a check valve problem in the water heater. I also had the generator serviced while i was there. I guess for some reason they turned off the switch and failed to turn it back on. No surprise as they failed to close the door on th refrigerator ater drain or put the cap on the tank drain. No problem as the valve was closed but should have been done. So my techs at the place where i store the coach found the problem and everything else checks out. It did reveal how little i know about the lectronics and i know alot more from reading and all your efforts to figure this out with me. Thanks for your patience. Today all is well and we should be able to leave on Dec 1 as planned. No more Camping World. I have tried but just too many things done poorly. Nice people and i so wanted to have a good RV alternative but things seem to get worse instead of better even though they are a Winnebago dealer and i purchased the coach there. Thanks again for all your patience, kindness and effort.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost sounds as if the batteries have a bad connection to the inverter.
Verify 9.7 battery voltage is also 9.7 volts on the inverter input terminals.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
I have posted on this subject recently so pardon for more. Here is more info. My inverter will not turn on without power. When i turn generator on the red light on inverter is on to fault with dead battery and when i scroll it also says low battery. No power is allowed to outlets connected to inverter. I have run generator for several hours but the fault remains. This is 2016 winnebago adventurer 38q so the batteries arenโ€™t very old. I turn off power switches when not using in storage. Any ideas. In all my motorhomes never faced this. I have one solar panel and chassis battery is strong. Any additional thoughts/ thanks for all your help.

I simply do not understand your statement
My inverter will not turn on without power.
? Inverters only turn on when batterys are near or fully charged,not when gen or shore power is applied; SO If batterys are dead (as indicated) it wont turn on: Second off if your not getting power to your outlets with gen set running maybe your not getting power to the converter and thats why the batterys are still dead(not charging)

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
There is something missing here. Several parts not identified in the unified system.

Do you have an integrated inverter/charger? Brand and Model:
If not the same unit list the Converter and the inverter?
What solar charge controller do you have?

Agree that the bats are toast but you can try to revive them. If that does not work then replace.

Before you do that, measure output of charger.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Already losing capacity at that voltage. Need to charge asap. Probably need equalized next.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Bob what size solar??
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
At 9.7 volts your battery is dead. You say you have a solar panel is it charging your battery when you are in storage?
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Magnum. Yes i turn it off. 9.7 and after running engine and generator no change. We will take it in shop and see if plug in makes a difference.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the battery voltage? Charging may not start unless you are above 10.5 volts. Can you run the chassis engine to let the alternator bring the voltage up a bit? Once at 11 volts fire up the generator.

May need to go camping and plug it in and sort things out.

You do turn the inverter off for storage right? Even with inverter off and switches off you may have a draw on the house battery.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Is this an inverter/charger? Brand please.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I tried to reset the inverter today but it went to fault quickly. I have it at my storage that also does service so having them look at it. Appears i have at least one bad battery.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try this. NO guarantee but if it works SMILE..

Disconnect every power source.. 120 volt, turn off the breaker that feeds the beast.. 12 volt pull the fuse or lift the negative leade.. COMPLETLY shut it down (Remove all power SOURCES as well as turn the switch on the unit off)

Count to at least 10.. Slowly... Or try a cup of coffee made before shutdown.

Now reconnect power (Both types) and see what happens.

Also as I said in the other thread.
Measure battery voltage at the battery with a digital volt meter

And again at the inverter Both when you first re-connect (Shoudl be same) and watch the meter when you turn it on and note the LOWEST reading.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times