cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAJOR short on a 2006 newmar essex

rabnud
Explorer
Explorer
regarding a 2006 essex any one know what the #293 module is for;; its in the main control system for heat /ac/ gen start/ inverter/ etc etc says module #293 failed
also have a major electrical issue where at the same time the water pump stays on the generator starts all by itself ,the lights flash and the and the main control panel says missing a module #293)
also if u turn the ignition key on the dash lights for the engine controls etc illuminate even though the chassis battery is turned off!! (wont start or turn over though) If u turn the headlight switch on and off everything goes off /back to normal also the brake control flashes and goes off when the headlite switch is pulled on/off as the other stuff

any and all ideas and questions welcome
14 REPLIES 14

rabnud
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
rabnud wrote:
enblethen wrote:
System could be back feeding to the dash via the charge relay system.
Possible from bad ground. Check connections in battery compartment.

another dumb question I open the electrical compartment and see two black solenoids one I assume is for boost and one is for??
I check with test lite and power to both side of both solenoids with chassis battery's on or off

One should be the COACH battery disconnect. Test the solenoids with Coach disconnect OFF and NO 120 Power to the RV. Doug

thanks will do that for sure

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rabnud wrote:
enblethen wrote:

another dumb question I open the electrical compartment and see two black solenoids one I assume is for boost and one is for??
I check with test lite and power to both side of both solenoids with chassis battery's on or off

One should be the COACH battery disconnect. Test the solenoids with Coach disconnect OFF and NO 120 Power to the RV. Doug

rabnud
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

rabnud
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

I already did that but going saturday to recheck things like that
the more i think about it it really has to be a grounding issue because of things like pulling the headlite switch on/off shuts off the phantom power feeding the dash etc
what you think ??
appreciate your help here in this matter

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rabnud
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
From another RV forum:
"Final update: FIXED IT!!!!!!!!! Received The actual eplex wiring diagram from Newmar. The E-plex fuses are located in the back of the shore power cord compartment.* There are two inline fuses and a 24v step up converter installed. Newmar used the step up converter only the first year and realized wasn’t required. I bypassed and removed the converter. Two fuses were good, but there was a 12v panel the red wire connected to with a 5amp fuse.. it was blown. Power returned to the system."

Might look for fuses on your rig.

will take a look although My eplex works and has power to it just sometimes it goes into the missing modules display and then you cant control anything ;; also have to find out where the phantom power to the dash comes from when turning on key with chassis batterys disconnected and why turning on the head lites shuts it off
and why the water pump sticks on and starts the generator this is a perplexing mess so far

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
From another RV forum:
"Final update: FIXED IT!!!!!!!!! Received The actual eplex wiring diagram from Newmar. The E-plex fuses are located in the back of the shore power cord compartment.* There are two inline fuses and a 24v step up converter installed. Newmar used the step up converter only the first year and realized wasn’t required. I bypassed and removed the converter. Two fuses were good, but there was a 12v panel the red wire connected to with a 5amp fuse.. it was blown. Power returned to the system."

Might look for fuses on your rig.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
rabnud wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
Think you have a control failure. A short and you would not have anything electrical working. Try these links. There were several recall on this. Its a old system and no repair that I have found, just remove and go without or put in another system. Its was a monitoring system that did not last long. Too long ago to remember all the issues. Seems like you could turn it all off and take the power off it. The first link might have that info.

Eplex

thanks for the information;;Iam leaning more towards a grounding problem once i find out what the #293 module is It may help me some also
also the on board security system started going on all by itself
when this first happened the unit was running and it locked the door while they were outside the coach while it was running ;;luckly it also resets itself

Sounds like you got some water inside a sensor or relays. If the relays are not seal which sound like they are not, then you can take apart and dried out. Hopefully it will dry out fast. Leave the battery disconnect for 30 + minutes if you do a reset again.

rabnud
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
Think you have a control failure. A short and you would not have anything electrical working. Try these links. There were several recall on this. Its a old system and no repair that I have found, just remove and go without or put in another system. Its was a monitoring system that did not last long. Too long ago to remember all the issues. Seems like you could turn it all off and take the power off it. The first link might have that info.

Eplex

thanks for the information;;Iam leaning more towards a grounding problem once i find out what the #293 module is It may help me some also
also the on board security system started going on all by itself
when this first happened the unit was running and it locked the door while they were outside the coach while it was running ;;luckly it also resets itself

rabnud
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Some of your listed items are on the coach battery system.
Have you cycled the chassis battetry disconnect?
Have you had any battery(ies) worked on?
Check around battery(ies) for a dropped cable.

1) several times

2) no

3) did

this all started after the guy pressure washed the battrys but never removed any cables etc I double checked the wires etc to the battrys
and nothing seems out of order

rabnud
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
I'd be looking for a bad ground connection somewhere with all those odd symptoms.

iam kinda leaning that way just dont understand the dash powering up when key turned on when the battery is disconnected and turning the headlite switch on and off kills the power to it that was there

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II

Eplex

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some of your listed items are on the coach battery system.
Have you cycled the chassis battetry disconnect?
Have you had any battery(ies) worked on?
Check around battery(ies) for a dropped cable.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be looking for a bad ground connection somewhere with all those odd symptoms.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU