cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ice maker problem

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
For the past 2 years, the DW has been complaining about the taste of the ice for our Dometic Sidewise refer. So we also had 4 plastic ice cube trays in the freezer also. Anyway, after emptying the ice tray for the maker, I set it in the sink to let the frost and ice chips melt. I looked at the tray to make sure it was clean, and found that the auger had some rust on the drive plate, that drives the clear plastic auger into the ice crusher/discard shut, has some rust on it. I don't know how long it has been rusty, but this could be what the bad taste the wife was getting, (didn't seem to bother me). I have searched the inter-web, but have not found a replacement, only some references to Dometic having discontinued the ice maker parts. I have disassembled the tray/auger, but the end of the auger has been pressed on, and dis-assembly it will surly break the plastic like parts.

Hear if the question. Is there anything I can coat the drive bar with, that will stop the rust, not chip or rub off, and is food safe? If I could get the drive plate out, I could plate it, but it seems that pressing it apart will ruin it. I know that there are people here that are more in the know about food safe coatings than I am.
Thanks for any help.
Wildmanbaker
12 REPLIES 12

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a replacement ice maker on line through most any appliance parts store. They are pretty much all the same, Whirlpool. No need to buy the full kit. you can just replace the head.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO ICEMAKER!? Heresy!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
htowners wrote:
The solenoid needs to be drained completely. I disconnect both sides of the solenoid to drain any water out. I then hook up supply side, pressurize and jump the solenoid to open it allowing air through.

Back to the topic, I've not fully checked, but having to pull mine out earlier this year, it looks the same as a conventional ice maker, so if the day comes, I'll adapt a standard residential one.

I love having to never worry about ice, and it only takes slightly more room than a small bag of ice.

I agree, I have found if you just disconnect the line to the ice maker and leave it for a few days, all the water wicks out on its own. The water thru the door can be drained by just hitting the water side at the door, while the water system is pressurized with air.
I really hate to have go without the ice maker as it is really convenient.
Wildmanbaker

htowners
Explorer
Explorer
The solenoid needs to be drained completely. I disconnect both sides of the solenoid to drain any water out. I then hook up supply side, pressurize and jump the solenoid to open it allowing air through.

Back to the topic, I've not fully checked, but having to pull mine out earlier this year, it looks the same as a conventional ice maker, so if the day comes, I'll adapt a standard residential one.

I love having to never worry about ice, and it only takes slightly more room than a small bag of ice.
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay 38TGB
2005 Saturn Vue
Stella and Luna, our 2 shelter rescues

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
BSINMICH: It is my understanding that the hoses to the ice maker simply have to be drained...it is the mechanism that pumps (feeds) the water that needs to be "winterized".

That is why I said the lines to it need draining. There is no pump on an icemaker. Whatever is inside the freezer doesn't need winterizing. The pink stuff will ruin the coating on the icemaker.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
BSINMICH: It is my understanding that the hoses to the ice maker simply have to be drained...it is the mechanism that pumps (feeds) the water that needs to be "winterized".

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Look HERE

Thanks Dennis, I don't know why there are two of these postings. Old age I guess.
Wildmanbaker

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you have to winterize the ice maker? The line to it needs draining but think about what happens to the icemaker if some water freezes in it.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Get rid of it. Takes up too much room in the freezer...and is difficult (for me) to winterize. Got two ice trays...that always works...no problems.
Having company? Buy a bag for 2 bucks.

my 2 cents.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look HERE
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Replace it but you can't coat it.Probably needs galvanizing.

I would love to replace the ice bin, but cannot find a source. The ice maker part is working well, and I can find a replacement for it. If I could get the rusted drive plate out, I could plate, but I cannot get the part out without destroying it. If you know of a source, I would really appreciate it.
Wildmanbaker

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Replace it but you can't coat it.Probably needs galvanizing.