cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eliminating Cook Top/ Oven Combo Box

werni9
Explorer
Explorer
I have the typical 3 burner stove top with lower oven made by Maytag. Since we are not alone in having the oven double as a cupboard for everything and anything, I want to put in slide out shelves with a door. I do want to have a cook top whether it be a 2 or 3 burner unit. Has anyone successfully separated the top from the bottom oven? It appears to be 2 parts. The top 4" with front controls/burners and the lower oven. Just curious before I go shopping for JUST a cook top
10 REPLIES 10

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
I don't have an oven, but I replaced the Suburban cooktop with a 24" residential model.

Now you're cookin'

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have an oven, but I replaced the Suburban cooktop with a 24" residential model.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

werni9
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses. Each one has given me new ideas. YOU can never have too much space to stash things.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't rig up my RV by hacking up the oven. There are better cooktops out there to purchase. Sell the old oven on Craigslist or Facebook (it's valuable) and use those funds to purchase whatever you desire. If you can use electric only, consider an electric countertop model that you get out only when needed. You can even take it outside and loose no countertop.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I removed our cooktop and replaced it with an induction top and installed a dishwasher while I was at it.

IMG_20180312_160756933
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to get rid of the oven and just have a cooktop and willing to pop for one if your not successfull separating them I'd do it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think usually the pieces are practically severable. You'd have to do something to alter the gas manifold to eliminate the oven thermostatic valve (or at least plug the outputs of that valve), at the very least. As with many things, given enough time and/or money and fiddling it could undoubtedly be done and done safely, but getting a proper ovenless cooktop is likely to be easier and possibly more economical.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
They make single unit, counter top, induction cooking "hot plates". They work well for "one pan" meals.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have the oven. I have a set of cabinet doors. When you open the doors, there is a big drawer on the bottom, depth is all the way to the back and height is almost 1/2 of the space. All my frying pans, pots, and cake pans, muffin tins, etc fit in that drawer. Just above that is a shelf. At the back I store my crockpot, dutch oven and racks for the convection. In front of them I have a lid rack and all covers for the pots and pans sit in this rack. At one end the pizza pans, slide in between the cabinet wall and the lid rack. I love this space as it hold so much. All is sitting on the waffle weave shelf liner and does not slide or move around when we travel.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I removed the stove/cook top in my new ride and replaced with an induction cook top and storage below. The stove/cook top is all one unit so you would have to cut it apart...not an easy job.

We rarely use the gas cooktop in our Dynasty and once you have an induction cooker I do not remember when we used the gas burners. I made the two burner one I put in removable so we can take it outside.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...