cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cold Weather In a Class B

AlwaysDreaming
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling north for Thanksgiving. Weather in upstate NY will be from 20 low to 40 high. We plan to keep the Coach heated 55 to 68 degrees. Also, plan to remove the panel to expose the fresh water system.
Do I need to put anti-freeze in the fresh water system?
I plan to put antifreeze in the black and grey holding tanks.
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
TinyoneRV wrote:
AlwaysDreaming wrote:

When using the potable nontoxic RV antifreeze for freshwater system and using bottled water for drinking. Can you wash your hands and dishes with this antifreeze in the fresh water? Or is it only for winterizing/storage?

When we travel in freezing conditions we have RV antifreeze in all the freshwater lines and the freshwater tanks empty. We flush with RV antifreeze and limit the toilet use to urine only. We use disposable plates and wash our hands with baby wipes. Use bottled water for coffee and cooking and keep it out of the gray water tank as much as possible.

X2 - We do exactly the same, and in fact did so recently when returning from Charleston, SC to our home in southern Ontario. Not knowing what the weather would be on the trip home, we opted to winterize in Charleston and followed the method above. We've seen too many RVers who didn't winterize and had to replace all the lines in their fresh water system. Not pretty.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
You did not mention what your B is, in our previous RT freshwater tank & pump was inside under sink I have been in it @ 0 two radiant heaters plus furnace insulated covering on windshield & side windows, pink antifreeze in holding tank. Open cabinet doors& go for it
Always traveled from FL to the Midwest over Christmas

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
In our previous Class C, we would winterize the freshwater system (and just not use it - we'd use a jug of water). For temps in the mid-20's, we'd put about a half-gallon of antifreeze in the black and gray tanks; and then for any liquid dumped down a drain, add an equal amount of antifreeze. We would flush the toilet with antifreeze. Our tanks and plumbing were completely exposed to the outside temps and we never had a problem. It's not the tank that will freeze, it's the plumbing lines/valves for the drains.

For temps anticipated below mid-20's, we would simply winterize completely and not put anything down the drains (urine can freeze at 28 degrees). We carried a Luggable Loo, which is simply a 5 gallon bucket, with a seat and used a WAG bag liner with kitty litter for those middle-of-the-night calls. Otherwise, we relied on the campground's facilities. We did this for over a decade - folks in Michigan regularly head south during bitter cold ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

RnRs-RT
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Lwiddis. I live in Pa.I know the weather for the north east and I personally would winterize all fresh water lines, drink bottled water and probably not use the holding tanks at all. Get a Porta potty for night time emergency's. Replacing plumbing in a "B" or any RV would be a costly and difficult project. Just my humble opinion.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to keep the heat at 55 or above then I would use the unit as normal. No need to worry about antifreeze or winterizing.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I use my B during deer hunting in MI & PA which is after Thanksgiving. No need to winterize if you do as you described. Last night we got down to 19. It's got electricity at my house now and I have an electric heater set at 50 and that kept the inside at 48. I did leave the cabinet & bath doors open and the opening to the freshwater tank, which is full, as well. The grey water tank is empty, but if not it may freeze but would thaw during the day. That should not be a problem if not full.

TinyoneRV
Explorer
Explorer
AlwaysDreaming wrote:

When using the potable nontoxic RV antifreeze for freshwater system and using bottled water for drinking. Can you wash your hands and dishes with this antifreeze in the fresh water? Or is it only for winterizing/storage?

When we travel in freezing conditions we have RV antifreeze in all the freshwater lines and the freshwater tanks empty. We flush with RV antifreeze and limit the toilet use to urine only. We use disposable plates and wash our hands with baby wipes. Use bottled water for coffee and cooking and keep it out of the gray water tank as much as possible.

AlwaysDreaming
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks. We will have electrical hookup in NY

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
As long as it warms up above freezing each day, you shouldn't have any issues if the temps stay mid-20's for lows. Keeping compartment doors open allow warmer air to reach the hidden plumbing under sinks, etc. Never had an issue while driving... Are you headed to NY from FL? Doubt you'll hit freezing weather until you get close - will you have the ability to plug in when you reach your destination? A drop light with a 100W bulb makes a pretty good heater for cabinets, etc.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The penalty for not using anti-freeze is....heavy...if you are wrong.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would plan on bottled water for everything. winterize your whole system. we do use our potty ,and flush with jugged water , put plenty of rv antifreeze in the blk tank.