cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.1 vortec

Butchman
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2005 dolphin 8.1 vortec will idle and run fine in park but when in drive misses and doesn't have any power. No check engine lights any ideas

❚ Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★"?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to posting issues with Open Roads Forum sites, member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using this forum for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

11 REPLIES 11

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
find some body that has a good scanner with workhorse software most snap on scanners will have this go into misfire data you will be able to see witch cly. is the problem

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
How many miles on it?

Have you ever changed the plugs and wires?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
Rodents! Why does it always have to be rodents?!

(Sorry, the DW had Indiana Jones on last night, and the snake scene was fresh in my mind:)! Seem the same disgust he had for the snakes, would fit my mood if I had found chewed wires!!)

OP - Do the easy things first. Borrow a reader and plug it in for any codes. Chase down the spark plug wires for damage. (I know at least 10 people who had 8.1 spark plug wire problems...)

And please close the loop back when you find root cause - as it might help others in the future:)!

Best to you and all,
Smitty

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an 8.1 Vortec and my wife heard NOTHING wrong, but I heard a slight missfire and noticed the same loss of power and MPG you cite.

Went to professional who found rodents had knawed some of the ignition PRIMARY (12 volt) wires and a bit of tape and solder and I was 100$%
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A known problem is burned spark plug wires, especially on the rear most cylinders. Many people have replaced their ignition wires with Taylor Extreme silicone wires which can handle the heat better. Also you want to make sure that you have the heat shields on the plugs and the wires.

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with a bad coil pack or spark plug wires. I haven't had the problem but a number of people have had issues with burnt plug wires.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Get a code reader.

I just finished a Trailblazer that would not set the check engine light but did have a pending code for a misfire. Finally got a check engine light after a couple weeks and it was a bad coil pack.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Vacuum leak
bad coil(s)

X2 on bad coil pack,
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of points to check are the fuel pressure regulator, I think they may have changed it up some in 05 or 06, but on my 02 model it is at the back of the engine on the drivers side by the fuel rail. There is no fuel pressure sensor in the 8.1 so the computer assumes the fuel pressure regulator is doing its job, and assumes the fuel pressure is always right. So a vacuum leak or a bad fuel pressure regulator could cause the fuel trim to go bad. Also check the spark plug wires, the 8.1L vortec is notorious for burning through spark plug wires if the coach manufacturer did not provide enough ventilation to the engine compartment.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Vacuum leak
bad coil(s)

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer