cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firearms into Canada

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings...We are full-timers and plan to head up the east coast next summer and then into Montreal to visit family. I am wondering about the hassle of bringing a firearm and how much trouble it really is. I would not be able to leave it somewhere at the US border because we plan to head west from Montreal and re-enter the US at a different border crossing. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
57 REPLIES 57

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
No matter what the gun laws are, one must remember illegal search and seizure is still the law. No one can stop you and search your vehicle with out just cause.

don't give them one.

Except at the border. If they want, they can search each and every vehicle going through as that is part of crossing any border.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

FLgator01
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I thought the 2nd amendment recognized the right to form a militia for the security of the state and those people in the militia have the right to have and bear arms.

There is a lot of debate about what the writers of the Constitution were actually thinking when they conceived of and wrote it. If you want to think the 2nd Amendment was written to mean this militia was intended to have the same weapons as the federal military then you would have to think the common citizenary would be allowed to posses F-22 fighters, nuclear armament, etc. in the 1700's the militia consisted of men between the ages of 18 and I think 49. And that militia was to be well regulated. So does that mean only men of those ages should be allowed to own weapons? I don't know. A lot of questions. I don't have a problem with folks being able to own weapons. But those weapons should and the owners should be well regulated. As to the OP's original questions; I wouldn't take your weapons into Canada. Many people have given you several options. Weigh those options and hopefully you will make the right decision. Happy travels.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the 2nd amendment recognized the right to form a militia for the security of the state and those people in the militia have the right to have and bear arms.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

FLgator01
Explorer
Explorer
The OP asked a simple question. Can I take take my weapons into Canada and if not what do I do with them. The question was asked and answered. Now the thread has morphed into how unfair individual states laws are concerning the 2 Amendment. How are these laws unfair? The Constitution says you have the right to bear arms. Some folks are complaining that some states by restricting the amount of rounds allowed, their Constitutional rights are being abridged. How so? Are you not allowed to bear arms? What do you think you need to protect you and your family. I'm 67 years old. Fulltimed for 5 years. Boondocked. Traveled East to West and North to South several times. I have never been in a situation where I felt I needed a firearm. But if you feel you need one, that is your business. But you do not need a semi automatic weapon that is capable of holding a 10+ round magazine.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what the gun laws are, one must remember illegal search and seizure is still the law. No one can stop you and search your vehicle with out just cause.

don't give them one.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Matt_Colie wrote:
Jbrack,

TXiceman has a good part of, but not the whole story.

It is no real problem to take a long gun into Canada, but as said, go on line and read the rules for your self and get the required paperwork.

We take our coach into Canada frequently because DW has family there.

I have family in the Northeast and New England. Fortunately, I have a home in Michigan where I can lock down everything. The whole northeast is now a cluster fork of patchwork and impassible laws. If you get caught with anything, the minimum cost to get clear is about 20k. This is why the manufactures are leaving. NY has a 5 round limit. If your weapon has a greater capacity, you go to jail. It goes on from there. If you have the wrong ammunition in NJ, you go to jail.

It used to be understood and was actually a federal ruling that "Peaceable Transit" was allowed. So, if you had a weapon unloaded and stored in a locked case, and all ammunition was also in a separate locked case, there would be now issue. These states and Illinios, California and Oregon and negated the federal rules to enforce their own standards for the persecution of those that think that the Constitution is still in I effect.

Even in Michigan, I can't legally leave my handguns with my son or daughter when we travel because they are not the registered owners. I can leave them with a friend that is an FFL. But he has to enter them into his bound book.

This won't get any easier any time soon.

Oh, and just when you thought there was a work-around, if I use wasp spray to deter an attacker in Michigan, that is a misdemeanor. Because I am only allowed to use it for the intended purpose.

I wish you safe travel.

Matt

I actually could go on, but I choose not to. A web search can fill you with horror stories.

As far as I am concerned

:S

It appears that NY has basiclyy outlawed law abiding citizens from owning a hand gun. What these law makers donโ€™t realize is that it takes less than a second to change magazines on a semi automatic hand gun!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

steveksfc
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I had not seen mentioned or I missed the post is maybe think about having your weapons professionally cleans by a gunsmith while you are out of country. Then pick them back up when you come back through. Back when Gander Mountain as a going business many used to drop theirs off to them in route to Canada and then picked their handguns back up later on the return trip. But maybe this might be an idea to still have your protection while on the USA roads.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrack,

TXiceman has a good part of, but not the whole story.

It is no real problem to take a long gun into Canada, but as said, go on line and read the rules for your self and get the required paperwork.

We take our coach into Canada frequently because DW has family there.

I have family in the Northeast and New England. Fortunately, I have a home in Michigan where I can lock down everything. The whole northeast is now a cluster fork of patchwork and impassible laws. If you get caught with anything, the minimum cost to get clear is about 20k. This is why the manufactures are leaving. NY has a 5 round limit. If your weapon has a greater capacity, you go to jail. It goes on from there. If you have the wrong ammunition in NJ, you go to jail.

It used to be understood and was actually a federal ruling that "Peaceable Transit" was allowed. So, if you had a weapon unloaded and stored in a locked case, and all ammunition was also in a separate locked case, there would be now issue. These states and Illinios, California and Oregon and negated the federal rules to enforce their own standards for the persecution of those that think that the Constitution is still in effect.

Even in Michigan, I can't legally leave my handguns with my son or daughter when we travel because they are not the registered owners. I can leave them with a friend that is an FFL. But he has to enter them into his bound book.

This won't get any easier any time soon.

Oh, and just when you thought there was a work-around, if I use wasp spray to deter an attacker in Michigan, that is a misdemeanor. Because I am only allowed to use it for the intended purpose.

I wish you safe travel.

Matt

I actually could go on, but I choose not to. A web search can fill you with horror stories.

As far as I am concerned
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
Leave the guns in the US and have them mailed to you once you're back in the US.

Family or friends will have to do this for you. If you don't have either in the location then I would hit up one of the parcel places.

Ask them if they would hold the boxed guns and ship them to you when you have a known address. All it takes is money to find a solution. Almost all the Canadian snowbirds I know would never chance bringing a gun into Canada

This is very bad idea!
Best is to contact a local firearms dealer, have them hold the firearm for you for a prearranged cost, then once you re-enter the US contact them with the shipping address of a local to you firearms dealer. The dealer to dealer connection solves a lot of issues and they will also know if your firearms are legal in the state you are in.
Example is you canโ€™t have a magazine with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds in Cali!

Wowza!! 10 rounds huh. I got my hands and a machete by the door if I need it, guess I'm pushing my luck.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
FLgator01 wrote:
I can't take my wife into Canada. She has been deemed a lethal weapon. Burying your weapons on this side is intriguing.

Probably illegal as well.

Burying guns in the woods near the boarder? What could possibly go wrong!

Wouldn't know about guns but pretty sure burying your wife in the woods would be illegal.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
FLgator01 wrote:
I can't take my wife into Canada. She has been deemed a lethal weapon. Burying your weapons on this side is intriguing.

Burying guns in the woods near the boarder? What could possibly go wrong!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
FLgator01 wrote:

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

FLgator01
Explorer
Explorer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2gypsies wrote:
old guy wrote:
if RV is your home then don't go into Canada

Huh? Canada and the Yukon are absolutely beautiful places and are a 'must' to visit. Plus, they're on the way to Alaska.

As full-timers we traveled through a few times and had no problems. Of course, we don't carry either.
I would also disagree with old guy.

However it's likely that Canada will know that the OP does carry and he should anticipate a higher border hassle factor.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob