cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Well, Here we go

CSCustomCars
Explorer
Explorer
Hello there all. Today, 12/12/2017, marks the official start of my new life.

Today, I closed on the sale of my house, put a deposit on a travel trailer, and have already begun the proces of downsizing. Oh boy.

Should probably back date here so no one gets the wrong idea. I have been researching and researching and researching a potential alternative full time rv living. Months ago I started. Was it possible? Was it feasible? Could I be ok with the unknown? All questions that ran through my mind. Iโ€™ve been desiring an off grid live style for years. Iโ€™m a loner, very introverted, and now I desire to leave the rat race, exit stage left of society, and pursue my spirituality and my sanity. I needed to live small. I needed to follow the wind where that took me. I needed to go off the reservation.
So I researched. And googled. And watched videos on YouTube. Bought books (from other full timers - ebooks), comabred floor plans, manufacturers, build quality, reviews, common problems, things to look for, just kinda went RV crazy for a minute.

Moving on, I got fired about 2 months ago from my career as an automotive mechanic and auto parts tech. I was smiling as I was asked to leave. It was envigorating. So I went bac to my stand by job, and started putting pieces together.

I had the perfect set up really. I have a brand new truck. I sold my house to my room mate who will let me store some things here while I go โ€œfind myselfโ€. We closed in under two months, and off to the races I go!

So I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Reg cab short bed 4x4 Hemi. I wanted literally the smallest full size pick up I could get, but Iโ€™m also a dodge guy so thereโ€™s that.

Today, I put a deposit on a 2005 Keystone Zeppelin 241. I saw some excellent modifications done by the previous owners, as well as repair records in the packet with the manuals (AH! Original manual). Itโ€™s in great shape. Slide seals are perfect, and I checked on it today, because we got snow all morning and then rain all afternoon, and sheโ€™s currently leak free. The slide was out all day and had some snow melt on it, and still, no leaks. I was happy to see that. My budget for a travel trailer was $6000 max. I also knew that buying an older coach was risky. However, Iโ€™m handy, and a trained auto mechanic. Iโ€™m willing to tackle some challenges to make this happen. My plan is to do as much dry camping nd Boondocking as I can, and will be buying an inverter generator (a quiet one) so I have power at all times because I sleep with a CPAP and need power to the outlets at night.

So yeah, here goes nothing! Cheers to my new life nomad style.

Would love to hear about anyoneโ€™s thoughts, opinions, or suggestions. Be kind, Iโ€™m a newbie.
30 REPLIES 30

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, congratulations. It is a little going to the edge of the cliff & stepping off. Sounds like you have your chute together right down to springing for a pure sine wave inverter instead of cheaping out on a modified sine wave which could damage stuff.

Don't know about escaping civilisation. A campground is like a little neighbourhood with its own grapevine. The advantage you have is that the new home has wheels. Get tired of where you are? Move.

Have fun.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CSCustomCars
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks other internet stranger!

An update i suppose,

Iโ€™ve got an inverter generator, a pure sine wave inverter, and a trickle charger that can be run off the generator or my truck if needed.

I have secured the storage unit for a year paid up front, finally got rid of all the furniture that was left, and will probably be heading south by middle pf january. Will be at a friends house for a little while and set it up and organize everything.

Now Iโ€™m struggling with trying to keep my head in the game and get out of here without losing my mind in the process. Very tired of civilization.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
CSCustomCars wrote:
31 today actually

You've gotten good advice here. I think you have it figured out, but to state it outright: the battery is to run the inverter. The generator is to recharge the battery (and give you A/C if you need and have a big enough generator).

Good luck on your adventure!
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œCheck your cord, if it has a "brick" in the cord it likely is a transformer.โ€ What else could that brick be, wandering?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CSCustomCars
Explorer
Explorer
31 today actually

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
CSCustomCars wrote:

I have had health care through the ACA for over a year and plan on keeping it. Itโ€™s quite affordable for me (because of my meager income), and covers a lot.

How old are you?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

fullydeuce
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer life is great! My wife, myself and our 2 year old son have been living in our fifth wheel for 7 months (even at -25C).

Enjoy the experience! There are plenty of challenge, but that keeps things interesting.

CSCustomCars
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
GO FOR IT!!!!

I hope nothing but the best for you and your new adventures! Life is to be lived and you are doing it your way....enjoy!!!! update us on your adventures for sure!!

Thank you for the kind and positive words!

CSCustomCars
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
A 750 watt inverter is plenty, just ensure you get a pure sine wave unit to ensure spikes dont harm any of your electronics. If the battery is new, check what size and type it is, and add a second matching one. Your CPAP will use 40 or so amps per night a little more if you use the humidifier, maybe a little less if you dont. With 2 batteries you should have 150 to 170 amps available so you wont be pulling the batteries below 50%.
As you know you can charge the batteries from your generator, but be advised, it will likely charge it to 85-90% fairly quickly, but getting the last part takes a long time, which is what solar is great for.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

First, thank you! Now i understand how much amp hours i need for the second battery. Iโ€™m going run them in parallel, and charge them with the generator for now, and top off with a trickle charger from my truck if needed. I have picked out a 700 watt pure sine inverter for mounting inside the trailer, and then Iโ€™ll attach it directly to the battery bank. If I can find a decent price Iโ€™m going to get a quick connect for the inverter so if I need to, it will be easy to disconnect it so there will be no draw on the battery. By quick connect I mean installing the inverter direct to the battery, which a switch between the inverter and battery bank.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
GO FOR IT!!!!

I hope nothing but the best for you and your new adventures! Life is to be lived and you are doing it your way....enjoy!!!! update us on your adventures for sure!!

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
A 750 watt inverter is plenty, just ensure you get a pure sine wave unit to ensure spikes dont harm any of your electronics. If the battery is new, check what size and type it is, and add a second matching one. Your CPAP will use 40 or so amps per night a little more if you use the humidifier, maybe a little less if you dont. With 2 batteries you should have 150 to 170 amps available so you wont be pulling the batteries below 50%.
As you know you can charge the batteries from your generator, but be advised, it will likely charge it to 85-90% fairly quickly, but getting the last part takes a long time, which is what solar is great for.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

CSCustomCars
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I looked into inverters. I found a 750watt, 15 amp (which should be just enough for my CPAP). I figure, for dry camping, if I can just run my CPAP off the trailer battery, I can charge my phone in my truck whenever I go somewhere, or during the day by running the generator while Iโ€™m awake and able to monitor it. Basically just use the inverter inside the trailer at night when I need power and donโ€™t have shore available.

As far as exercise, Iโ€™d love to, and some day, I will. But I have to work on some health issues first. Iโ€™m hoping by simplifying my life, and being able to roam will help my mental health and allow me to concentrate on my physical health. Yes I know full time RVโ€™ing isnโ€™t the easiest thing in the world. I get that. But that feels like.a small price to pay for the freedom. I know my body and what Iโ€™m capable of.

Anyway, back to the inverter. So my trailer has a brand new battery. If I keep it charged during the day, using a 750 watt 15 amp inverter to power a CPAP would be a good idea.

Iโ€™m unable to get a new CPAP because I need a new script, which means a new sleep study, which means staying in the area for another few months, and Iโ€™m not willing to do that.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are really squeezing the budget, as Naturist said a small solar will go a long way both to power and to education, that Solar Blvd site also has a 100 watt kit for roof mounting for $150, and it has a 20 Amp controller so you could add a second panel later. Personally I worry about the portable being stolen, and with roof mount, it's always working, even when you are moving.

If it cuts your genny time in half, gas savings will pay for it fairly quick. And when you add the inverter, no noise at night.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Advice? How about this. I don't know if it will work for you, but it can't hurt.

CPAP? When I was a kid I had asthma. All my life when I went to sleep I had to use an inhaler because I would start wheezing when I laid down to sleep. That continued until I was 30. Then my first wife left me and I decided to start exercising (with weights) and I bulked up in the chest and everywhere. After a few months I realized one night that I no longer needed the inhaler when I laid down to sleep. I've continued exercising regularly. I'm 61 now and I still don't use that inhaler. Maybe some day, but I'm going to keep doing my workouts. I hope that helps somebody.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV